Film Score Monthly announces the Blue Box - Superman.

TownerFan

Stefancos, it's been reported on three different Superman sites now, two of which state they were involved with the project. Pinch yourself. You're awake. A Superman music box set is really coming. You took Matessino's comment out of context. I think he was referring to the fact that some people (like many around here) think that they know everything about these scores and how they sound because he also said that there would be many "surprises, delights, and revelations." It's just too bad they had to come out with this in advance because it gives us all time to go insane and think of all the things that could go wrong. But every thing that has been suggested points to this being a great triumph for Williams fans and collectors which is why it is down right shocking to see so many indifferent and even negative responses around here.

Stefancos, it's been reported on three different Superman sites now, two of which state they were involved with the project. Pinch yourself. You're awake. A Superman music box set is really coming. You took Matessino's comment out of context. I think he was referring to the fact that some people (like many around here) think that they know everything about these scores and how they sound because he also said that there would be many "surprises, delights, and revelations." It's just too bad they had to come out with this in advance because it gives us all time to go insane and think of all the things that could go wrong. But every thing that has been suggested points to this being a great triumph for Williams fans and collectors which is why it is down right shocking to see so many indifferent and even negative responses around here.

Do I know you?

Stefancos, it's been reported on three different Superman sites now, two of which state they were involved with the project. Pinch yourself. You're awake.

Why does everyone care whether Stefancos "believes" in this release or not?

it is down right shocking to see so many indifferent and even negative responses around here.

Well it kind of isn't fair to have to pay $120 for something we already own in better sound quality (and just how much better sound quality remains to be seen). FSM would have been better off releasing them seperately AND in a bundle so each collector could pick. I doubt FSM has the kind of resources to produce two seperate releases like that but on the other hand $120 is a lot to pay for just one score. And that is a reality, a lot of people here are only interested in the first score. I myself am still on the fence on whether or not to pick this up. The book sounds neat and I'm sure I'll like the packaging, but is it really worth the upgrade from the 2CD Rhino set that I am very very satisfied with already?

Why does everyone care whether Stefancos "believes" in this release or not?

Because of my status here.

it is down right shocking to see so many indifferent and even negative responses around here.

I'll get excited once I see the official announcement by FSM.

Originally I thought that 120 USD was a bit much, but once concerted to Euro's it's only about €82. And because of the American economy plummeting towards the abbys, by the time this thing get's released it will most likely be about €75.

And that's a bit of a bargain....

I would buy the remastered Superman: The Movie if it was released separately and maybe Superman IV: The Quest For Peace, but since they aren't I won't be getting this. I'm not that big a fan of Superman and not a fan at all of Ken Thorne. It sounds like one helluva music set, but $120 is way too much. I just shelled out 80 bucks for No Country For Old Men (Blu-Ray), Michael Clayton (Blu-Ray), and American Gangster 3-Disc Director's Cut. So I'm good for now.

Oh okay. Excuse the optimism. I'll repair to the hinterlands once more and come back for reactions to the official announcement, by which time hopefully the wind will have changed.

Oh okay. Excuse the optimism. I'll repair to the hinterlands once more and come back for reactions to the official announcement, by which time hopefully the wind will have changed.

Well at least we know it's related to John Williams and Superman.

Especially when I remember I payed a rediculous €48 for my 2-Disc Rhino/Warner set.

I seem to remember forking over 78 Gulden for it back in the day in Fame.

I paid more than you did at that same store.

At least back then they actually still had good soundtracks. I bought my Star Wars SE's, my Superman, my Jaws and my CE3K there. Ah, good times.

I remember that it was the first store to carry the ROTJ SE, but since it was an expensive import i had to go back to hoorn to get more money and then back to Amsterdam to buy it. I could have waited a few days and got it for 44 gulden instead of 80.....but i didn't.

I'm sorry but I'll have to say LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMEEE!!!

My interest in the Superman scores has taken a turn for the down hill in the last 2 years. It just hasn't aged well to my ears.

Once again I'm surprised by so many people putting Superman below top-tier status. The only scores I would rank higher are Star Wars, that how much I think of Supes. Sure, a good chunk of the end action cues are a little weak, and I'm not a huge fan of The Fortress of Solitude, but that's more than made up for with the Main Title, Destruction of Krypton, The Trip to Earth, Growing Up, Death of Jonathan Kent, Leaving Home, Lex Luthor's Lair, The Big Rescue, The Flying Sequence, Sonic Greeting, Misguided Missles and Kryptonite, Chasing Rockets, Finding Lois, Turning Back the World, the love theme....

There's only two ways I listen to Superman: The Movie.

1) The entire thing, from start to finish, as it works much better when not merely going from cue to cue. I always like the score a lot better when I have two hours to spend and take the whole thing in. Problem is, it takes two hours and there's still a few dull moments.

2) Just tracks 1-9 of disc one of the Rhino release. Occasionally add in The Flying Sequence or Love Theme from Superman for good measure.

The latter option, I'm sad to say, is the one used most.

This set is packaged in a way to make me buy parts of it I don't want. I can't see how they can make me change my mind about Superman 2 and 3

That's the only thing I don't like about it.

This set is packaged in a way to make me buy parts of it I don't want. I can't see how they can make me change my mind about Superman 2 and 3

That's the only thing I don't like about it.

Why don't you do what Mike Matessino sugested and forget all you know, or think you know, about Superman 2 and 3...

Superman 2 will actually be the partial score Williams composed for the film when he was still attached to it and before Donner was fired.

Much of it was actually written and recorded at the same time as Superman The Movie. Remember these films were initially shot and produced at the same time.

Superman 2 will actually be the partial score Williams composed for the film when he was still attached to it and before Donner was fired.

Much of it was actually written and recorded at the same time as Superman The Movie. Remember these films were initially shot and produced at the same time.

Williams didn't score anything for Superman 2.

Ya know, I was gonna post a jokey reply about Williams' Superman II being on this set. It would be a wonderful shock, but I doubt it. I'm probably better off hoping for some Superman: TAS music somewhere in the set (although I'd rather it have its own set).

Wasn't there a Superman cartoon in the 80's that used Williams themes? I think it was Filmation studios that did it.

Maybe that's included in the set.

Wasn't there a Superman cartoon in the 80's that used Williams themes? I think it was Filmation studios that did it.

Filmation Superman toon was in the late 60s.

There was one in the 90's, but Shirley Walker scored that as well.

The Batman: The Animated Series and Superman: The Animated Series scores are definitely holy grails for me. If nothing else, it would be good to have a complete release of Mask of the Phantasm, and even Subzero.