Film Score Monthly announces the Blue Box - Superman.

TownerFan

the main theme was obvious. it was of course, in the opening titles, and used often throughout the show.

That is the Superman I grew up with and my favorite.....I heard Williams Superman music decades before I ever saw the movie.

I just remember the running joke from one of the villians who couldn't believe how stupid Lois was, that she couldn't see that Clark was Superman.

I just remember the running joke from one of the villians who couldn't believe how stupid Lois was, that she couldn't see that Clark was Superman.

Yeah. Was it Tempest? I can't remember.

The Batman: The Animated Series and Superman: The Animated Series scores are definitely holy grails for me. If nothing else, it would be good to have a complete release of Mask of the Phantasm, and even Subzero.

I have a Mask of the Phatasm expanded boot that sounds quite good

I forgot about the Louis and Clark tv show. I remember I used to watch it when I was a kid. It really is amazing how long the Superman character has lasted. Has there ever been a time when he wasn't on tv or in the movies? Hes not even a superhero, hes an alien. :)

Aren't you making a complete Mask of the Phantasm?

Indeed I am. I'm sorry it's taken so long to finish. Unfortunately it won't be complete. There's some stuff simply missing from the bootleg. There are a few seconds missing from "Ski Mask Vigilante," which I have made a version of with that chunk ripped from the DVD. Unfortunately, the DVD is 2.0, so there's a good bit of SFX there. Additionally, snippets of music are missing from a handful of cues, with the biggest offender being "The Birth of Batman," which is missing the whole sequence in Beaumont's mansion before Alfred brings Bruce the letter from Andrea. This stuff is the biggest reason for my wanting an official release.

If all goes well, I should be able to upload it this evening. Also, when I finally get back with GoodMusician, I should be about ready to upload Back to the Future Part II.

The Batman: The Animated Series and Superman: The Animated Series scores are definitely holy grails for me. If nothing else, it would be good to have a complete release of Mask of the Phantasm, and even Subzero.

I have a Mask of the Phatasm expanded boot that sounds quite good

Really? I'd like to hear it. The one I have isn't distorted like, say, Last Crusade, but it's definitely not up to par, and there's a goodly bit of hiss on it. Would you be interested in trading? I'll send you my Mask of the Phantasm assembled edit, and you can send me your boot?

This set is the complete TV soundtrack to Lois and Clark

Teri Hatcher teh hawt lois. lul

Margot Kidder was and always will be for me my Lois. I go to write a box set for the "Box Set" featured on Drax's current avatar... ;) Double CD sets, I take it? :|

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/648392/super...oon_1988_intro/

It was the short lived 1988 Ruby Spears produced Superman that used Williams' music.

I remember that one.

Me too, i was starting to think i imagined things. (I was 5-6 yrs then...) thanks mark!

Oh and i didnt visited this thread in ages, and today i realised there is a superman box set :lol:.

I home they are complete scores. and with good quality, the boot of II had bad quality sometimes.

And eager to listen to IV :lol:

Well we do know it's John Williams and Superman. How it's laid out is the mystery. It should be the complete scores to all 4 Chris Reeves films.

• 2 weeks later...
http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/articles/2...core_Friday.asp

I was right it, will have Ron Jones music to the Ruby Spears cartoons.

Excellent.

The second this 8-CD box set goes on sale? I'm there placing my order. I can't wait! :lol:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/articles/2...core_Friday.asp

I was right it, will have Ron Jones music to the Ruby Spears cartoons.

Okay, so now it's got two things I'm interested in: The Ron Jones material and, of course, the complete score to Superman: The Movie. I'm not going to pay $119 for something which someone else could get complete enjoyment out of. I'll just have to buy the ol' Rhino release...

If anyone is interested in a used 2 disc Rhino set of Superman for a "reasonable" price feel free to contact me.......:lol:

Marc, if you need to merge this with the original FSM thread go ahead. I just wanted to bring this to everyone's attention.

But might wanna add the info to the original title if you do.

Ricard - I apologize but you hadn't posted the news on the front page yet when I found out about the release.

I'm a little confused as to how this will all fit on eight CDs:

1. Superman Disc 1

2. Superman Disc 2

3. Superman II Disc 1

4. Superman II Disc 2

5. Superman III Disc 1

6. Superman III Disc 2

7. Superman IV Disc 1

8. Superman IV Disc 2

9. Animated Series Score

10. Bonus Disc

Ten. Does this mean that the complete scores to Superman II and III will only take one disc each? I can't think of anything other explanation.

Does this mean that the complete scores to Superman II and III will only take one disc each? I can't think of anything other explanation.

That sounds about right. The non-score (songs etc.) from II and III are probably on the bonus disc.

I'm guessing Superman The movie is the Rhino set in better sound,without new alternates

How does "new, fully remastered and complete" translate to that? Maybe if this was Sony Classical....

This is exciting. I'm a sucker for a box set -- they tend to attract me even if I'm not interested in what's inside them, which is not the case here.

Superman is absolutely one of my favorite John Williams scores, so I'm happy to see it continuing to receive special treatment. It's been too long since I watched the other three movies for me to remember anything about those scores, but they'll be nice to have for completion's sake, if nothing else. (Which reminds me that I still need to buy the score to Superman Returns.)

I was slightly too young to have seen Superman in a theatre when it came out, so I saw it the same way I saw a lot of movies from that era: on TV. I can clearly remember sitting in front of it and seeing things like Superman, Star Wars (had to go to Grandpa's house to see that one on HBO, as I recall, and I watched it three times in one day), Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and Star Trek: The Motion Picture. I remember feeling like I had slipped into some kind of dreamworld; my brain had no way to process the feelings in those terms, of course, but that's the essence of it. Those four movies, in particular, have always stuck with me, and in each case, I'd say the music is an enormous part of what makes the movies so important to me.

So, yeah, bring on a big ole box set of Superman music; I can't wait. And if someone out there wants to do a new Star Wars box set or a Star Trek box, well, I'll probably throw down for those, too.

Hopefully, this set will be a huge success for FSM.

(Which reminds me that I still need to buy the score to Superman Returns.)

Oh no you don't.

I've noticed something in my brief time on this board: it's difficult to post things without some loudmouth throwing in their two cents where it wasn't wanted, and yet having nothing of any substance or interest to say.

Henry, mind your own business. I don't need your approval if I want to buy a CD.

Oh no you don't.

I've noticed something in my brief time on this board: it's difficult to post things without some loudmouth throwing in their two cents where it wasn't wanted, and yet having nothing of any substance or interest to say.

Henry, mind your own business. I don't need your approval if I want to buy a CD.

Sorry, Bryant. I meant no offense. It was just a little joke aimed at the Superman Returns score, not a statement of disapproval or ridicule.

I know where I'm gonna be at 3:00 next Thursday. I'll probably grab The Blue and the Gray with it, and then take a little rest from score purchasing for a little while...at least until I find out what the next big release from someone is--all the possibilities I've seen for Intrada's "ambitious" release would be winners in my book. Hopefully it'll be a little while, though. Oy...

Oh no you don't.

Sorry, Bryant. I meant no offense. It was just a little joke aimed at the Superman Returns score, not a statement of disapproval or ridicule.

That's cool, dude. I appreciate you being gentlemanly in your explanation.

As for myself, I feel much the same way about the Superman Returns score as I do about the movie itself: that it is an interesting experiment, mostly a benign failure but with occasional moments of sheer inspiration. For example, the score would be worth my money if for nothing more than Ottman's version of Williams' Smallville theme (or Leaving Home theme, or Kent Family theme, or whatever it's called).

Hence, I need to buy it.