Best Christmas Music

indy4

Excellent choice. A gorgeous hymn arranged with tasteful modern, kaleidoscopic harmony.

It's an interesting setting. Half of the choir sings the original harmonization by Praetorius, while the other half suspends shimmering close voicings. Heard live in a generous acoustic, it's pure magic.

Excellent choice. A gorgeous hymn arranged with tasteful modern, kaleidoscopic harmony.

It's an interesting setting. Half of the choir sings the original harmonization by Praetorius, while the other half suspends shimmering close voicings. Heard live in a generous acoustic, it's pure magic.

We played this in the Christmas concert yesterday in the church, world premiere, the brass arrangement(by Sandström) and Håkan Hardenberger conducted.

People in the audience were very moved, I saw some tears. Touching music.

Edit: Why does that link appear text only, not a youtube link with picture? What do I do wrong?

You can put a Youtube link directly in your post, it will appear correctly.

But if you copy an iframe tag, then you'll have to check "Enable HTML" in the options of your post.

Edit: Why does that link appear text only, not a youtube link with picture? What do I do wrong?

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21160

I was about to post a reply explaining why YouTube links do not appear as pictures for me despite my following the instructions given in the FAQ (indeed, even with the specific video used as the example there), and whether or not I have HTML enabled. In the process, I discovered a way to get it to work.

I have to use the "More Reply Options" facility, then enable HTML, then disable it again, and then paste the URL for the video.

No, you absolutely should not have to do that at all. I paste URLs of YouTube videos all the time and it simply works, even from mobile. As the instructions state you may have to remove stuff from the end of the url. Alternatively, if you are using Chrome, try Ctrl-Shift-V to paste, so it doesn't convert it into a hot link instead of a raw text paste.

everything is second to John's BPO version of Sleigh Ride, it's hard to beat perfection.

He is not of the body!

Luminous being, am I, not this crude matter.

Nah! "Stop The Cavalry", and "A Fairy-tale Of New York", followed by "Christmas Rapping", by The Waitresses. "Mistletoe And Wine" is outlawed, at my gaff.

As for Wham!, its B-side wipes the floor with "Last Christmas".

• 11 months later...

Es ist ein Ros entsprungen

Lo, how a Rose E'er Blooming.

Sandström/Prätorius

Doesn't get more beautiful than this hymn. It's truly perfect.

Really like the jazzy harmonies in this arrangement by that other Lloyd Webber.

• 2 years later...

I haven't actually started listening to Xmas music yet, but it's coming!  It's beginning to a look a lot like it...

Most of my Xmas listening is symphonic/choral performances, mostly not film scores/cues but definitely some of that too.  Then a healthy sprinkling of old pop/rock/jazz stuff mixed in.  For rock Xmas music, I discovered The Ventures fun surf-rock Xmas album a few years back and I love it!

Across all genres my Xmas listening is 75% instrumental or non-solo vocals though.

I don't usually start until Thanksgiving, myself.   My Christmas playlist is 85% vocal recordings made between 1930-1990, 10% songs from Christmas specials/shows, and just a small sprinkle of more modern stuff.  I think the only "film score" stuff are a few of Williams' Home Alone songs.  Nothing symphonic for moi.

8 minutes ago, nightscape94 said:

It'll soon be time for be to break out Blizzard by Mark McKenzie.

I have never heard of this movie or this composer!

LLL's fantastic release of Broughton's Miracle on 34th Street score gets a lot of play in my car at Xmas time.

Serius FM ch. 70 started playing Christmas today. Heard Rockin around the Christmas Tree before dawn this morning.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I have never heard of this movie or this composer!

It's very enjoyable, if somewhat repetitive, but not a very long CD at all.  Great holiday listening, would definitely recommend getting a hold of it.

I'm slowly revisiting Home Alone. Last night, I listened to the 2015 version of Star of Bethlehem and after it had finished, I just sat there in awe.

@Disco Stu Can you recommend some great symphonic Christmas albums? The more intricate orchestration, the better.

For those who prefer, at times, a more bombastic musical experience for Christmas, I definitely recommend Delius' Sleigh Ride (not that  Sleigh Ride).

Prokofiev's Troika is another Christmas-time favorite of mine. 

Edit: Shit, didn't realize this thread was 5 pages long. These might have already been posted. 

I'm doing a South Park binge at the moment, and Mr. Hankey's Christmas Classics put me into a 100% Christmas mood... in the middle of October.