Best Christmas Music

indy4

53 minutes ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

definitely recommend Delius' Sleigh Ride (not that  Sleigh Ride).

And then there’s Mozart’s “Sleigh Ride” which is different from the other two!  For anglophones, amusingly titled “Schlittenfahrt” in the original German ;) 

1 hour ago, Will said:

I think I've posted about it here before, but this album is awesome:

Thanks for the share.

If we’re talkin’ swing jazz Xmas music it doesn’t get better than these two originally released as a single together in 1935.

2 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Watching Breaking Bad this year introduced me to the Duke Ellington Nutcracker album. Love it!

It is a nice one! It's mostly Billy Strayhorn's album, though, most of the arrangements were from him. Duke Ellington was responsible for this one, though:

That opening :wub:

I love The Duke’s Nutcracker too!!  I discovered it about 5 years and it’s been a mainstay of my holiday listening since.  The arrangements can be really offbeat and cool.  Like the Chinese Dance one.

On 11/2/2017 at 0:35 PM, BloodBoal said:

Try The Greatest Miracle.

Holy shit, someone else here knows this score!

Stu, you'll like it.  Its a great score.

And picking up on the subject of music for wintry sleigh rides from earlier in the thread, here are two wonderful pieces from Bernard Herrmann

The latter doesn't seem especially Christmasy to me, perhaps because it's an adaptation of "Miss McLeod's Reel" which can only ever make me think of Copland's "Hoe-Down," which is definitely not Christmasy at all.

Since I last posted in this thread we’ve had some more soundtracks released that I like to listen to;

Elfman’s Scrooged

Silvestri’s A Christmas Carol

Mancini’s Santa Clause the Movie

and a few, uh, unofficial ones...

Giacchino’s 2 Prep & Landing scores

Silvestri’s Polar Express score

Going away from film music, I forgot about this gem my mom has in her LP collection;

D08FFF29-DA02-463B-982D-63465BC99607.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

One of my favourite Christmas-themed pieces is Krzysztof Penderecki's 2nd Symphony. He is probably most known for his avant garde atonal music of his youth (and popularised by the horror films, I'm sure) but my favourite work of his is the exact opposite of that. He shocked the concert music scene in the early 1980's where he decided he's done with those crazy experiments and started composing music in a more neo-romantic idiom. And that is when this symphony premiered. It is actually labeled as "Christmas" symphony due to the inclusion of Silent Night as the running motif. But the entire work is quite brooding and dark. I love it.

Karol

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

One of my favourite Christmas-themed pieces is Krzysztof Penderecki's 2nd Symphony. He is probably most known for his avant garde atonal music of his youth (and popularised by the horror films, I'm sure) but my favourite work of his is the exact opposite of that. He shocked the concert music scene in the early 1980's where he decided he's done with those crazy experiments and started composing music in a more neo-romantic idiom. And that is when this symphony premiered. It is actually labeled as "Christmas" symphony due to the inclusion of Silent Night as the running motif. But the entire work is quite brooding and dark. I love it.

This is really interesting - I didn't know this about Penderecki at all!

Yeah, he basically stated that there is nowhere to go with all this aleatoric stuff and decided to go back to more traditional music.

Oh speaking of Penderecki and Christmas, I listen to his Credo mass quite a lot around this time of the year:

Karol

8 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

It used to be a tradition to get together with friends and jam on this back in Manhattan, but the west coast just isn't as fitting for it.

A classic

If you are looking for a gentle intrumental christmas album that is great from the beginning to the end, this one with the Prague Philharmonic is a classic:

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « André gagnon noel »

On 11/24/2017 at 10:16 AM, Disco Stu said:

Black Friday is the official start of the season and The Discos are decorating the Xmas tree (and the rest of the house) this morning and playing two CDs

What else but...

0000891417.jpg

51vGLzrodTL.jpg

I have both but We Wish You A Merry Christmas was one of the 1st CD’s I bought.

• 3 weeks later...

If we already had Gregorian...

My family and I are pretty far from being religious, and neither do we listen to Gregorian regularly, but this has become a must-have for our Christmas:

http://picosong.com/wRLeL/ (Wait out the halfway mark!)

Also this album:

It's one-person acapella overdubs Bobby McFerrin style, from a time before every narcissistic asshole with no singing talent on Youtube was doing it.

Just now, Richard said:

I'll be listening to GLORIA, later on. It doesn't get much more Christmasy  than "Glory to God in the highest, and on Earth, peace to all men of goodwill".

I find that remark... insulting!

• 3 months later...

Short but sweet, but most importantly it's great for tormenting the neighbors.

Gotta love Gergiev and his masterfully subtle sleight-of-hand. He's like Ludwig Van Beethoven by way of Ernest Borgine.

Edit: I was meant to post this in the Classical Music thread, but oh... fuck it.

This will do.

• 6 months later...

I don't start listening to Christmas music for another few weeks, but I'm definitely going to listen to this come December.

It's the great Simon Callow reading an abridgement of Dickens' A Christmas Carol backed by a traditional English brass band playing Christmas music.

image.png

On 12/23/2017 at 3:27 PM, Omen II said:

Listen to this, it'll blow your socks off.

Thank you for this!  It was amazing!

Hi all!

I just found this site, and I'm glad there are so many people who love John Williams.

Anyway, here is my contribution to the Christmas Music.  Percy Faith's O Come All Ye Faithful.

• 2 weeks later...

The Williams/BPO 1992 Joy to the World is of course a Christmas classic, but it definitely proves that dynamic range can be taken too far.  The quiet parts are way too quiet and then you get blasted away when it gets loud from turning it up to hear the quiet stuff.

On 11/25/2018 at 8:25 AM, Disco Stu said:

The Williams/BPO 1992 Joy to the World is of course a Christmas classic, but it definitely proves that dynamic range citan be taken too far.  The quiet parts are way too quiet and then you get blasted away when it gets loud from turning it up to hear the quiet stuff.

But it has Sleigh Ride. Woo hoo

On 11/25/2018 at 9:25 AM, Disco Stu said:

The Williams/BPO 1992 Joy to the World is of course a Christmas classic, but it definitely proves that dynamic range can be taken too far.  The quiet parts are way too quiet and then you get blasted away when it gets loud from turning it up to hear the quiet stuff.

If you want a really good version of Joy to the World that doesn't do that, may I suggest Percy Faith?  I find his orchestral Christmas songs to be respectful to the season, but also very powerful.  

If any of you have Sirius XM radio, there is a channel called Holiday Pops.  This channel (it might only be available online at the moment) has classical Christmas music 24/7 now until Christmas Day.  

I hope I'm not beaking any forum rules by "plugging" this, I just think the channel is amazing.

Is there any better Christmas music than John Coltrane's bittersweet rendition of "My Favorite Things"?  It strikes precisely my ideal tone in Christmas music.

I mean I listen to plenty of the joyful stuff too, but this feels like coming home.

EDIT: Heh, just scrolled up and saw that @TGP already posted this last year.  And that I endorsed that post at the time.  Well, Christmas is all about perennial favorites/traditions after all!