Best Christmas Music

indy4

This is a really great arrangement in the Leroy Anderson pops tradition.

Eric Ball's "A Carol Fantasy"

I'm listening to this right now and it's snowing outside my window and I'm having a hot cup of coffee 🎄

On 12/4/2018 at 4:43 AM, Disco Stu said:

Is there any better Christmas music than John Coltrane's bittersweet rendition of "My Favorite Things"?  It strikes precisely my ideal tone in Christmas music.

I mean I listen to plenty of the joyful stuff too, but this feels like coming home.

EDIT: Heh, just scrolled up and saw that @TGP already posted this last year.  And that I endorsed that post at the time.  Well, Christmas is all about perennial favorites/traditions after all!

Was listening to that just this Sunday! A favorite of mine. As far as more "straightforward" takes on this tune, Al Jarreau has my favorite: 

I have listened repeatedly to Baby its Cold Outside. 

I saw someone burst into flames while it played. 

I am more offended by Steve McCreery The First Noel. His country hound dog style is damned ignorant sounding and worse is Kelly Clarkson and her warbling. She's too stupid to trust her voice

I love listening to Dean Martin sing any Christmas song even if it's kind of suggestive

5 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

I am more offended by Steve McCreery The First Noel. His country hound dog style is damned ignorant sounding and worse is Kelly Clarkson and her warbling. She's too stupid to trust her voice

I'm not a fan of most country Christmas.  I love Dolly's "Hard Candy Christmas" of course.  Merle Haggard's "If We Make It Through December."  Maybe a few others.

Here's a lovely carol I've recently rediscovered. Based on a traditional carol from Tyrol (that I'm not familiar with), arranged by a university colleague of our choir director:

I went to a sublime Christmas concert given by Eric Whitacre and the Eric Whitacre Singers at St. James's, Spanish Place (a beautiful Catholic church in Marylebone, London) yesterday evening.  I've had such a horrible year and this was the first time it had really felt like Christmas for me, hearing such flawless choral singing in an amazing building.  For the encore, the choir - just nine men and nine women - donned Christmas jumpers to sing We Wish You A Merry Christmas to the audience and there was a retiring collection for the charity Save the Children.

Anyhoo, one of the many highlights of the concert was a lovely rendition of Philip Stopford's Lully Lulla Lullay.

fullsizeoutput_6fc.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

A new entry to my holiday listening this year is Stewart Goodyear's amazing solo piano transcription of The Nutcracker, the complete ballet.  Not all piano transcriptions of orchestral works are created equal, but this one (and his performance) is among the best I've ever heard.  It really gives you a sense of the orchestral nuances and works as a solo piano performance on its own.

Very highly recommended!

Image result for oscar peterson christmas

Started listening to this, and Charlie Brown will follow suit. Such fond memories are made simply sitting in a comfy chair, sporting some slippers and sipping hot cocoa, watching the snow fall in the evening and listening to Christmas jazz. It's my idea of an idyllic holiday season. 

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

No Band Aid? No Wham!? No Wizard? No Jona Lewie? No The Pogues and Kirsty MaColl? No fucking Slade? Rubbish! Do it again, boy!

The 2nd playlist, the one for dinner.

• 11 months later...

Murry Christmas, chat. This is objectively the best Christmas symphony for the holidays, it was written by John Williams' and Mozart's favorite composer, Yo-Sup Jivin', so put on those Irish jig shoes, turn your Skullcandies to max and prepare for mad beats.

I created only a new "Holliday" playlist this year.

Dedicated to... JW.  I know, it's not very original, but each new year, we have some "new" material for our palates!

And this year Andrew Collins from Classic FM did another great Christmas playlist, that I reproduced here: