Complete Cue List of Jaws 2

Josh500

Like I said, I now have Jaws 2. While I love the presentation of the music on the album, many cues have been united into a single track. So, while the liner notes give the order of the tracks as heard in the movie, I don't know about the order of the specific cues. Can anyone help me out with a Cue List? Thanks.

I can do it later on tonite when I have my CD in front of me and can listen to it to give you the times.

Fire on Board and Eddie's Death is actually 3 seperate cues, the Water Kite Sequence is two cues, Attack on the Water Skier is two cues, Catamaran Race is two cues, and Toward Cable Junction is two cues.

The rest are single cues.

I can do it later on tonite when I have my CD in front of me and can listen to it to give you the times.

Fire on Board and Eddie's Death is actually 3 seperate cues, the Water Kite Sequence is two cues, Attack on the Water Skier is two cues, Catamaran Race is two cues, and Toward Cable Junction is two cues.

The rest cover are single cues.

That'd be great, Mark! Thanks. ;)

Yeah, I haven't quite figured out where everything belongs. For instance, the sequence where Brody wades into the ocean when he sees something floating in the water--is that cue included on the OS? Also, the first 6 seconds of Attack on the Water Skier (the cello playing the shark motif)--where does that belong? Was this just dropped from the movie? Also, on the OS are the any unreleased cues/tracks?

For instance, the sequence where Brody wades into the ocean when he sees something floating in the water--is that cue included on the OS?

I am fairly certain that that is an unreleased cue. There isn't too much unreleased music in the movie, but that is one of the cues I couldn't place last time I watched it. Maybe it was deemed too INTENSE for younger listeners!

It is an unreleased cue, there isn't alot of unreleased music that was used in the film.

The main title in the film is an alternate take or has been edited, I can't remember exactly but I think it is an alternate. There is the short cue for the shark entering Amity, there is some unreleased music in the final cue ("Big Jolt!) and I think there may be some cues that are slightly different in the film from as they appear on the album. The 6 seconds from the water skier cue were probably dropped/edited.

Ok, I think I've got it correct.

This should be the order the cues would be if the entire thing was in film order, I've also included spots were unreleased music goes. I've done this from memory without watching the film so if I'm wrong I apologize.

1. Finding the Orca (Alternate music appears in film at 1:13 to 1:34 of the cue)

2. (Unreleased music - Jaws theme as shark enters Amity Harbor)

3. Catamaran Race (A) First :51 sec of cue (Film contains a few seconds of unreleased music)

4. The Water Kite Sequence (A) First 1:39 of cue

5. Attack On The Water Skier (A) First 1:28 of cue

6. Fire On Board & Eddie's Death (B) :42 to 1:18 of cue for attack on water skier boat

7. Toward Cable Junction (B) 1:27 to 3:48 of cue as deputy drags up power lines while looking for water skier remains

8. (Unreleased music as Brody finds burnt remains of boat driver)

9. The Menu

10. Brody Misunderstood

11. (Unreleased snippet of Jaws theme as Brody has Diver's film developed to reveal outline of shark)

12. The Catamaran Race (B) :52 to 2:11

13. Ballet For Divers

14. Fire On Board & Eddie's Death (A) First :41 of cue (film version may be alternate version) for Shark pursuing catamarans

15 Fire On Board & Eddie's Death ( C) 1:19 to 3:27 of cue for Eddie's death.

16. The Open Sea

17. Attack On The Water Skier (B) 1:28 to 2:45 of cue for shark attack on the catamarans

18. The Water Kite Sequence (B) 1:40 to 2:55 of cue as Brody's older son is pulled from the water just before shark attacks him

19. (unreleased music goes here as one catamaran goes for help)

20. Attack On The Helicopter

21. Sean's Rescue

22. Toward Cable Junction (A) First 1:26 of cue as Catamarans approach cable junction and get stuck in shallows

23. The Big Jolt! (Unreleased Music goes in between 3:30 to 3:31 mark of cue)

24. End Title & End Cast

It irks me too, but people here tend to focus on music that's NOT on the OS than on music that's readily available!

I think the album of Jaws 2 is one of the best JW listening experiences ever.

Since the cues are combined it might be nice to know where they actually go in the film and how they would play in order.

Besides it gives me something worthwhile to post other than the usual drivel that goes on.

Nice work, Mark!

I may have misremembered this completely, but there are also some scenes near the beginning of the movie where there is a bit of source music heard (kind of 70s disco-style stuff). When I last watched it sounded to me quite 'Williamsesque', certainly enough to make me entertain the notion that it also could have been penned by Williams. I may well be completely wrong of course.

Damien - hoping he's not thinking of Jaws 3D :rolleyes:

At the begining Brody is running late for a ceremony and the high school band there is playing a song that wasn't written by Williams but the name of the tune escapes me.

Besides it gives me something worthwhile to post other than the usual drivel that goes on.

:rolleyes:

And thanks for doing it, I should whip together a film edit of this now. Come to think of it, I still haven't done Geisha either...

Nice work, Mark!

I may have misremembered this completely, but there are also some scenes near the beginning of the movie where there is a bit of source music heard (kind of 70s disco-style stuff). When I last watched it sounded to me quite 'Williamsesque', certainly enough to make me entertain the notion that it also could have been penned by Williams. I may well be completely wrong of course.

Damien - hoping he's not thinking of Jaws 3D :thumbup:

The song the band is playing when the scene at the ceremony "begins" is "Downtown". A Pop tune sung by Petulia Clarke in the 1960's. I do not know who composed it, but it was not John Williams. I do not know the name of the song that is playing when Brody & Ellen are dancing and they are reminiscing about the "Jersey Shore", I think it is a song from the Big Band Era, but not certain. I do know that this too was not composed by Williams.

Nice work, Mark!

Damien - hoping he's not thinking of Jaws 3D :blink:

The song the band is playing when the scene at the ceremony "begins" is "Downtown". A Pop tune sung by Petulia Clarke in the 1960's. I do not know who composed it, but it was not John Williams. I do not know the name of the song that is playing when Brody & Ellen are dancing and they are reminiscing about the "Jersey Shore", I think it is a song from the Big Band Era, but not certain. I do know that this too was not composed by Williams.

I used to sing "Downtown" in school! No, this is no Williams song!

Nice work, Mark!

Damien - hoping he's not thinking of Jaws 3D :blink:

Thanks finalscore, it was the second one I had in mind, so I'll pay special attention next time I watch it. I know Downtown so there is no way I would have mistaken that for Williams, p-lease! It was by Tony Hatch, who is certainly not John Williams (although perhaps they are good Neighbours who are there for one another). See what I did there?

Who knows if Williams wrote material that wasn't used.

Okay, I watched Jaws 2 yesterday with your cue list. Good work! (And you did all that from memory???)

3 things that I noticed:

1. The second half of Brody Misunderstood is, I think, material that wasn't used in the movie. I have no idea where that belongs. Only music up until 1:20 is used, the rest was probably dropped.

2. After Brody inspects the killer whale, there's a short scene when he thoughtfully stares out over the sea. That short cue is unreleased, too.

3. I couldn't place the first few seconds of Big Jolt!. I think that was likewise dropped.

I love this score!

• 2 months later...

Replying to my own post (first sign of madness), but hey-ho. I watched the beginning of Jaws 2 for the first time in ages yesterday and realised I had indeed misremembered where some of the source music went. The source music I thought may have been composed by Williams is heard when Brody is watching for the shark from the beach tower (before the Brody Misunderstood cue is heard).

At the start of the movie, the school band also plays The Girl From Ipanema (by Antonio Carlos Jobim) after they have played Downtown. However, like Finalscore, I cannot quite place the third piece (when Brody and his wife are dancing), although it does sound very familiar. Any takers?

At the start of the movie, the school band also plays The Girl From Ipanema (by Antonio Carlos Jobim) after they have played Downtown. However, like Finalscore, I cannot quite place the third piece (when Brody and his wife are dancing), although it does sound very familiar. Any takers?

Aren't the song titles listed in the end credits?

Aren't the song titles listed in the end credits?

I don't know in this case, Josh. Unfortunately the movie was screened on a channel that habitually does anything but play the end titles of movies in their entirety. If there isn't someone yapping over the music as soon as the credits roll to tell you what's on next or the movie doesn't disappear into a little square while you're shown a preview of some other rubbish you have no intention of watching, then they're speeding up the credits and fading out the music as if they've got a train to catch.

:(

• 6 years later...

Thanks for the list. I didn't think there was that much unreleased. In any case, I think Jaws 2 deserves at least a re-release since the current album OOP and expensive. It may as well be expanded, too. Wonder if there are any other alternates or more unused music?

I think a complete release of this marvellous score must be my number one holy grail. I don't care if there's only 5 minutes of unreleased material because I want all of it. Also who knows what Williams might have written for alternates or entirely dropped cues. So many times I've bought a complete release of a beloved score sometimes with the addition of only a few minutes of extra material but it makes all the difference when all of the cues are separated and placed in film order. With the addition of previously unreleased music it can make for a completely different album experience. This is what I feel we would be rewarded with if a complete release of Jaws 2 ever sees the light of day.

I can't believe that after 20 years into the boom of bespoke CD releases of film scores, this score still hasn't been given the treatment it deserves. I believe it to be one of Williams greatest efforts and I've been hoping for a complete score since I first came across my first copy of FSM in 1994 when I was a student at the RCM in London.

What is the hold up with the complete release of this score? Does anyone know? Is it that the tapes are lost? Or would there be any legal wrangles that might ensue if a label were to consider releasing this gem? Are any of the labels remotely interested in releasing it? After all this score falls right in the middle of Williams' golden period and I really cannot understand why it has been so far ignored by all of the labels. A little dream of mine is that I will finally own a copy of the complete score of Jaws 2 hopefully with the original artwork for the LP release on the cover of the booklet with the words "New Music" emblazoned on the top left hand corner. Oh speed the day! Somebody dig out the tapes and release this beauty. PLEEZ?

Oh but I do.

Still it was good of you to remind me that this thread should be moved here since it does belong in the JW section of the MB. Such is the fate of the resurrected old JW threads in GD.

I think a complete release of this marvellous score must be my number one holy grail. I don't care if there's only 5 minutes of unreleased material because I want all of it. Also who knows what Williams might have written for alternates or entirely dropped cues. So many times I've bought a complete release of a beloved score sometimes with the addition of only a few minutes of extra material but it makes all the difference when all of the cues are separated and placed in film order. With the addition of previously unreleased music it can make for a completely different album experience. This is what I feel we would be rewarded with if a complete release of Jaws 2 ever sees the light of day.

I can't believe that after 20 years into the boom of bespoke CD releases of film scores, this score still hasn't been given the treatment it deserves. I believe it to be one of Williams greatest efforts and I've been hoping for a complete score since I first came across my first copy of FSM in 1994 when I was a student at the RCM in London.

What is the hold up with the complete release of this score? Does anyone know? Is it that the tapes are lost? Or would there be any legal wrangles that might ensue if a label were to consider releasing this gem? Are any of the labels remotely interested in releasing it? After all this score falls right in the middle of Williams' golden period and I really cannot understand why it has been so far ignored by all of the labels. A little dream of mine is that I will finally own a copy of the complete score of Jaws 2 hopefully with the original artwork for the LP release on the cover of the booklet with the words "New Music" emblazoned on the top left hand corner. Oh speed the day! Somebody dig out the tapes and release this beauty. PLEEZ?

I'm sure we'll see a complete release at some point, assuming the tapes are in good shape and I haven't read anything about the status of the tapes. I believe the tapes for Jaws are in good shape and have probably been digitally preserved by now. The score as heard on the Jaws Blu-ray sounds excellent so no doubt the masters are better quality than the 2000 expanded release. I actually wouldn't mind seeing a box of all 4 Jaws scores.

• 5 weeks later...

Someone clever on the Film Score Monthly message board has identified the third piece of source music that had eluded me for so long. It is Teach Me Tonight, composed in the 1950s by Gene de Paul and lyricist Sammy Cahn.

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=104799&forumID=1&archive=0

Just call me Mr. Clever! ;)

And I'm just now realizing that it was this thread that got me searching for that song and not a thread on FSM. No wonder I couldn't find it...I was looking on the wrong board!

• 2 years later...
On 2/10/2008 at 4:12 PM, Omen II said:

However, like Finalscore, I cannot quite place the third piece (when Brody and his wife are dancing), although it does sound very familiar. Any takers?

That music sounds like "Girl Talk" by Neal Hefti. What do you think?

On 27/01/2017 at 4:26 AM, dogwink said:

That music sounds like "Girl Talk" by Neal Hefti. What do you think?

Yes, I agree - there is a definite similarity in style, mood and tempo.  There are quite a few versions of Teach Me Tonight available, so here is one from the late Amy Winehouse: