The Shymalan / Howard Collaboration

indy4

The Shymalan / Howard Collaboration  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these Shymalan/Howard Collaboration is the best FILM?

• The Sixth Sense
    • Unbreakable
    • Signs
    • The Village
    • Lady In The Water
    • Haven't Seen Them
  2. 2. Which of these Shymalan/Howard Collaborations is the best SCORE?

• The Sixth Sense
    • Unbreakable
    • Signs
    • The Village
    • Lady In The Water
    • Haven't Heard Them

In my opinion, the films go like this:

1. Signs

2. Unbreakable

3. The Sixth Sense

4. The Village

5. Lady In The Water

The scores:

1. Signs

2. Lady In The Water

3. Unbreakable

4. The Village

5. The Sixth Sense

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice poll indy4, seems like something I would make!

I voted Signs for both film and score.

Films:

1. Signs

2. The Sixth Sense

3. The Village

4. Lady In The Water

5. Unbreakable

Scores:

1. Signs

2. Lady In The Water

3. The Village

4. The Sixth Sense

5. Unbreakable

The reason why Unbreakable is at the bottom of both my lists is because I've only seen it once and hardly listen to the score. If I gave it another go my opinion would probably change.

How the hell is Signs beating the Sixth Sense in film?

:)

Well Signs is an excellent film. Yes, The Sixth Sense was probably the greatest twist ending in a long time when it came out, and it did get a Best Picture nomination, but I find Signs to be a greater work overall. Mel Gibson provides some very fine acting, and there is an excellent blend of suspense and comedy. It flows very well, and the story revolves around the family and is told from their point of view, rather than focusing on the aliens and the attack. JNH's score is superb, and pretty much makes the film better on it's own.

How the hell is Signs beating the Sixth Sense in film?

:)

Well Signs is an excellent film. Yes, The Sixth Sense was probably the greatest twist ending in a long time when it came out, and it did get a Best Picture nomination, but I find Signs to be a greater work overall. Mel Gibson provides some very fine acting, and there is an excellent blend of suspense and comedy. It flows very well, and the story revolves around the family and is told from their point of view, rather than focusing on the aliens and the attack. JNH's score is superb, and pretty much makes the film better on it's own.

Indeed. I think Signs tells the best "message" out of the Shymalan films, and is also probably the most emotional.

indy4 - who thinks the best twist ending was Unbreakable (although somebody spoiled Sixth Sense for him before he saw it, so it wasn't a twist)

why put not seen or heard, smart people wouldn't vote if they haven't met that criteria

Signs, best film, Village best score.

why put not seen or heard, smart people wouldn't vote if they haven't met that criteria

It's so people can vote in one of the polls, but they don't have to vote in the other if they aren't qualified to vote in the others (you can't click the "Vote!" button unless you've voted in all the polls). This way, they can vote in the poll for score, and they won't have to pick one for film if they haven't seen them (or vice versa).

Definitely Unbreakable for film. The only one that I thoroughly enjoyed. Not sure about score, I haven't heard any of them outside the film apart from Unbreakable (which I really like).

Man, hard one.

Again:

film: Unbreakable

score: Signs

I like all the scores so much though! Same with the films, except for LitW...I almost picked Sixth Sense, but Unbreakable was so imaginative, mysterious...the mood that was set, and excellent use of cinematography, color, and clues tipped it for me.

I still can't get past various lame things about the aliens in Signs, though the family story is wonderful.

But I always loved The Village (glad to see some others do), I was floored when I found out the twist on that one and still am fascinated by the movie. Lot of great acting there.

Unbreakable for film (still one of my faves)

Signs barely beats out Unbreakable for score. Honestly though, ever since that score, JN HOward has consistently done very well with scoring Shymalan's films- I don't care for The 6th Sense outside of the film but that's it.

Stair scene? Is that the part where he carries Audrey up the stairs?

If so I really loved that scene. Beautiful.

The poll is shut but my two cents would be as follows:

Best film: Unbreakable (by far and away Shyamalan's best film, in my opinion).

Best score: Too hard. I haven't heard any of them in isolation yet, though hopefully that's about to change. I need more JNH CDs. I'll cast a three-way vote between Signs, The Village and Lady in the Water, which I found utterly magical in the course of the film.

CYPHER

EDIT - oops the poll is only 'shut' when you're not logged in! I voted for Lady in the Water in the end 'cause it needed some love.