The Bear McCreary Thread

Taikomochi

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yup!  Definitely more interesting to me than those silly thriller movies he did a year ago

You mean The Boy and The Forest I assume, and not 10 Cloverfield Lane (which I would categorize as a thriller).

Exactly, yes.  I love 10 Cloverfield Lane (score and film), and still have not bothered to check out The Forest and The Boy, and have no interest in seeing those films either

I like both The Boy and The Forest soundtracks fine, though I can't say I've listened to them more than 3 times each since their releases. I've only seen The Boy out of those two and as Bloodboal aludes to, it kinda goes a bit off the rails.

There certainly is a freshness to this Animal Crackers clip I posted above. New genre, new exciting possibilities.

On the occasion of McCreary's 38th birthday the bromance with Austin Wintory continues:

More McCreary news, well hints at news. He appears and sounds to be working on the upcoming Stephen King / JJ Abrams series Castle Rock on Hulu. I wonder if the music used in the teaser is the actual music for the main title and will Bear just score the main title, or the actual series as well. Either way, sounds like a pretty cool project to me.

• 1 month later...

Colossal soundrack out today digitally.

The music in the video sounds great. Will listen to the album tomorrow. Might actually go and see this one on the big screen when it's released over here. Never seen a McCreary film in the cinema but now seems like a good time to start.

• 3 months later...

The day many have been waiting for has finally arrived! 7 seasons worth of material on one disc? Hopefully it's at least a 2CD set, although I doubt it.

16 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

What the freaking f**k? :o

Better be a 2-CD release. You can't possibly fit all the highlights from 7 seasons on one disc.

You sure can. I hope it's just one disc, but McCreary has had a tendency to "over-represent" his soundtracks in the past, so who knows?

I'm a big fan of the show, but I can't really remember many musical highlights that would work as a stand-alone listen. It's mostly suspense drones. Cleverly orchestrated suspense drones, but suspense drones nonetheless. So that's another reason for keeping the album presention succinct. But hey -- I'm glad to be proven wrong, should that be the case. I will definitely be checking it out.

9 minutes ago, Thor said:

You sure can. I hope it's just one disc, but McCreary has had a tendency to "over-represent" his soundtracks in the past, so who knows?

Oh stuff your magic 50-minute attention span.

All I'm asking for is perhaps two hours of music. And before you go saying that he's 'over-representing' himself with that length, he does have 100 episodes to showcase. That's a rough ballpark of maybe 50 hours of music.

• 1 month later...
On 9/13/2017 at 11:52 PM, LaloCoyoacan said:

The walking dead soundtrack is available for preorder at amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0757LHLZR/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

transparent.gif

Hmm, only one disc for 7 seasons. I really hope he's planning further volumes because this won't have more than the biggest highlights.

And a common problem with releases like this is that they tend to try to showcase the range of music, but in this case, the more horror/tension based material is likely to be less interesting away from the show. I think it should focus more on the emotional and dramatic cues.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The score is really good!  Apparently the movie isn't very good.  But hey, it's directed by Doyle from Gilmore Girls!

You mean Jonathan from Buffy! Yeah, it's his first as a director so I don't know what to expect in terms of the movie's quality. Biopics aren't usually the greatest of movies in my experience. I probably won't see it 'til next year at any rate. Anyhow, I'm grateful that he chose Bear and that we get to enjoy a great score!

5 hours ago, Jay said:

La-La Land will be selling physical copies of Rebel In the Rye OST signed by Bear at 12:00 PST today

http://secure.campaigner.com/csb/Public/show/jma5y--df0ga-ag4f6q6

You also get a free copy of 'Unrest' with it as well which I'm guessing is a promo CD. I shall be purchasing along with 'E.T.' and 'Sky Captain'.

So, I'm enjoying the Battlestar Galactica soundtrack, obviously. Does anybody have any recommendations, film score or otherwise, of percussion music similar to BM's action writing for this series? Boom-boom-klack---budduh-buddah-boom!

On 26/09/2017 at 8:15 PM, Miz said:

So, I'm enjoying the Battlestar Galactica soundtrack, obviously. Does anybody have any recommendations, film score or otherwise, of percussion music similar to BM's action writing for this series? Boom-boom-klack---budduh-buddah-boom!

From Bear's own work, SOCOM 4 might be the one to try if you haven't already listened to it.

On 9/26/2017 at 2:56 PM, serenifly said:

You also get a free copy of 'Unrest' with it as well which I'm guessing is a promo CD. I shall be purchasing along with 'E.T.' and 'Sky Captain'.

I stupidly didn't order this last week and now it looks like the listing is just gone :(

http://lalalandrecords.com/Site/RebelInTheRye.html

Oh well.

I know!  I had already bought it digitally through Amazon before this announcement so I was waffling on it!  This morning I decided "Ok I'm just going to buy it, at least comes with a free score."

And it's gone :( 

I mean it's fine.  I still have the OST digitally and I can stream the Unrest score and if I like it enough after a few listens I can buy that digitally too.

My LLL package is out for delivery today, and now I'm in a panic* that's it's the McCreary releases instead of E.T.**

*not really a panic

**no shade thrown towards McCreary, just more dreaming about ET

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I stupidly didn't order this last week and now it looks like the listing is just gone :(

http://lalalandrecords.com/Site/RebelInTheRye.html

Oh well.

Damn. Unsigned copies of Rebel in the Rye on CD can be purchased from amazon.com.

https://www.amazon.com/Rebel-Original-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack/dp/B075DG9QTB/

The Unrest CD is basically a promo I think. If you really want one then maybe ask LLL or Sparks & Shadows if they have any spare copies.

info@lalaland-ent.com

info@sparksandshadows.com

I'm always quick of the mark for Bear autographs! They used to go in about 10 minutes although even now they're still only there usually for a few days.

• 2 weeks later...

The score to Revolt was released digitally yesterday. Alien invasion film starring Lee Pace that hasn't been reviewed well. Like his other alien invasion project Defiance, Bear again uses electronics and synths prominently in this score. It's alright.

Walking Dead is on spotify. There must be future volumes planned, as it's a pretty rubbish amount of music for 7 seasons.

My one bit of geek disappointment (and this is pretty much guaranteed to happen at least once with every TV show) is that an absolutely pivotal moment is an alternate - Sophia has a different 'reveal' moment to the show, and I think the TV version is vastly superior.

And astonishingly, Mercy of the Living isn't on here (well, it's in a more orchestral from, but not as heard in the pilot). A quick glance at the FSM thread will demonstrate how popular this piece is.

McCreary release season continues! That's 5 albums released in just over a month.

Walking Dead has lots of great highlights. Rick's Despair, Message to Morgan, Sophia, Carl, Farm Invasion, Beside the Dying Fire, C-Section, Return to Compassion, Welcome to the Tombs, Reconcilliation, The Day Will Come. I'm sure there's potential for more releases.

Happy Death Day is a nice surprise. Horror sounding but with a bit of quirky bounce thrown in. Also with a bit of Bear invention added into the mix.

I've had to pick and choose my releases since daycare bills started rolling in - and so it's mostly been Williams, Elfman, and scores that I hear in movies and fall in love with.  I make the occasional exception for an excellent deal, such as the Rye/Unrest 2-for-price-of-1 deal, but the purse strings are tight.  I'm likely going to pick up The Walking Dead.  Maybe some time I'll undig my heels from the ground for a second or two and un-embargo a streaming service to check some of these things out.