The Bear McCreary Thread

Taikomochi

AMC is releasing an inspired by album only.

Bear had put an album together but it was scrapped.

My comment was more rhetorical :)

They've announced an 8 track 'original soundtrack' of songs to be used in season 3 (incidentally, how is a compilation of songs an 'original' soundtrack?) and a remix of the main theme.

Given the success he's had with releases of his other TV music, I find it quite baffling what AMC has against making this music available. I've been watching Breaking Bad and there's a score album of that out... so why not this?

It really doesn't make sense, especially since it's so in demand. I mean if we can get a 2CD set of The Cape of all things, not this?

The Cape is a more commercially viable score (in terms of its style and more accessible themes). The Walking Dead is more... abstract and experimental from what I've seen of season 1.

Not entirely - there has never been any score from House, and that was practically the most popular show on the planet.

The Walking Dead is certainly on the more experimental side, but you could definitely put together a CD of the more noticeable moments. Plus McCreary's name is more than enough in the soundtrack world.

Maybe AMC wants everything to appeal to the mainstream? They should let LLL do a release if they're worried about that.

I can't seem to get into Bear McCreary's style. There is some nice stuff I've heard, but overall he just doesn't make much of an impression to me as he has done with others in the film music world.

I can't seem to get into Bear McCreary's style. There is some nice stuff I've heard, but overall he just doesn't make much of an impression to me as he has done with others in the film music world.

That's what I say about his BSG scores, the only thing in his output I'm familiar with. I find the overall take on it (percussion and various forms of ethnic wood wailings) bland and uninteresting. But in between there are fantastic standout tracks that make it all worthwhile, and me very interested to hear more by him.

McCreary really channels Elfman and Walker in The Cape... his percussion and ethnic wood stylings are mainly used to represent the antics of the Carnival of Crime. It's nothing like BSG, T:SCC or Walking Dead.

You can listen to La La Land's samples, and judge for yourself.

Sounds a bit like Korzeniowski, except more atmospheric. The Walking Dead score isn't particularly interesting imho, aside from maybe a decent cue or two, I'm not really begging for an OST release.

• 3 weeks later...

So I haven't seen anything from Blood & Chrome - how's the music? How does it compare to the original BSG soundtracks?

It's a joke of an album, for sure, and has absolutely no business having 'original' in the title.

But since Breaking Bad has a score release after 4 1/2 seasons (following a songtrack), I have hope that AMC is waiting for a similar longevity in TWD.

At the very least, allow McCreary to give out promos if they don't want to pay the orchestra, or even better, give it to a label that gives a fcuk! (LLL)

Don't know if this should go here or in one of the "boutique" threads, but I just wanted to verify that if I want a shot at a signed copy of Blood and Chrome, I'll have to place my order around 1PM PST? And what if I order 2? Can I only get a max of 1 signed copy?

Yup, you need to order as close to 1pm PST as possible if you want to get one. I cannot remember off the top of my head if signed copies are limited to 1 per customer or not at LLL. I'd recommend emailing LLL

• 1 month later...

I tweeted him to ask whether it means The Walking Dead has any more chance of surfacing, but didn't get a reply.

What's interesting is that he's said the new label has a 'nothing is off the table' approach, which I think means that people can request individual cues, and they will receive actual consideration.

All the fires in hell will extinguish before Williams takes the same approach :(

Maybe but I still admire Williams for revisiting Jurassic Park after all this time and digging up some new music.

It's quite likely that Williams' music, being spread over so many decades and studios, would overwhelm any one person who now would want to unify them under one banner. Why would Sony and all the other massive studios give up that goldmine?

Bear may have recognized this and managed to keep his rights.

I was referring more to McCreary's recognition of what his fans want, rather than Williams' word being final.

Not complaining as such - it's just interesting to see such a different approach.

• 1 month later...
Today is the day! My full soundtrack for "Da Vinci's Demons" is now available on iTunes, Spotify and other digital retailers, thanks to the hard work of everyone at Sparks & Shadows. I've always wanted to be able to turn an album around fast enough for you to hear it while new episodes are still airing and I'm thrilled to say that S&S pulled it off.

https://www.facebook.com/bearmccreary/posts/495732610499619

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/da-vincis-demons-original/id652907681

That's pretty cool, buttttt, why oh why couldn't he have the same rights to The Walking Dead as this.

Last I read was that it will probably happen, but AMC's schedule isn't known. There's such a thing as good PR.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the new Caprica set may not be coming until July 16th.

Source: http://www.bearmccreary.com/forum//viewtopic.php?f=9&t=149&start=120

I emailed La-la Land, and this is what they said:

'We hope to have it out July 16. Finishing it up now'

On 10/10/2011 at 12:11 PM, Brian99_1 said:
On 10/10/2011 at 11:13 AM, crocodile said:

The only thing I've heard from McCreary is BSG. And while it's not my type of thing, the guy's got some skill.

Karol

I'm not a huge fan of the BSG stuff either but the Human Target and Cape stuff I can't seem to stop listening to!

On 11/02/2013 at 9:55 AM, KK. said:

That's what I say about his BSG scores, the only thing in his output I'm familiar with. I find the overall take on it (percussion and various forms of ethnic wood wailings) bland and uninteresting. But in between there are fantastic standout tracks that make it all worthwhile, and me very interested to hear more by him.

Wow, I am suprised that more people aren't into the BSG scores. Although maybe I shouldn't be, because it took a while for it to pick up some traction. I mean, give him a break. It was his first major project out of school. Once he got going, some of his stuff was astonishing and just got better and better as it went along. Pick up the Season 4 soundtrack and you see what I mean. To me, these cues beat some of the stuff Zimmer and Silvestri have done lately, and are reasonably different in their own way:

On 09/01/2013 at 2:12 PM, OneBuckFilms said:

SOCOM 4 is good stuff. Almost Galactica season 5. Right in that sound space. :)

Pretty much, yeah. You can start to hear the Japanese sounds sneak into the Galactica 4 soundtrack, too, because he was working on both at the same time.

The thing I love about SOCOM 4, though, is that there are like five or six very disparate styles mixed into one score...and it works pretty damn well.

On 09/01/2013 at 6:23 PM, amh1219 said:

Oh wow, I guess I forgot about Human Target. Good stuff right there. Sounds like I'll have to make SOCOM something of a top priority! :D

Yup, Human Target actually broke the record for largest ensemble ever assembled for a television episode.

EDIT: Listening to DaVinci's Demons soundtrack. Pretty great. Check out a fine example of source music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqqyjgsWVs

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm excited to check out Bear's score to the upcoming film "Europa Report" (Actually, the film is already available for purchase online, at iTunes or Amazon, etc). Here's the film's trailer:

The Variety review of the film mentions the score actually:

http://variety.com/2013/film/reviews/film-review-europa-report-1200500661/

The score will come out on his own label, digitally AND physically. On June 15 he posted this on Facebook

Going over mixes for the new 'Europa Report' soundtrack album. I forgot how unexpectedly and shamelessly gorgeous this theme is. Can't wait to share with you all.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10151442011152096&id=39808337095

And yesterday the Sparks and Shadows FB page posted the cover art

1045226_211854065640572_813935668_n.jpg

Cover art for our upcoming release of Bear McCreary's score for "Europa Report." Digital and Physical CD in the works!

https://www.facebook.com/SparksShadows

Can't wait!

I would've thought Alan Silvestri would've scored the pilot and provided the main theme.

But McCreary scoring Agents of SHIELD is an inspired choice. I wonder if Joss had his eye on him or whether McCreary lobbied hard for the gig.

Well McCreary said that

Marvel and Disney immediately recognized the value in having a full symphony orchestra perform the score for each and every episode, which is the only way to do this right.

Hopefully his use of the phrase "each and every episode" is an indication of his future involvement with the series, if it takes off. I also love what he says about superhero soundtracks in general.

To me, a superheroic score is only as good as its main theme. If you’re not singing the tune in the shower a few days after hearing it, then an opportunity has been lost.

I'm actually surprised Marvel acquiesced to using L.A. session musicians for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, since they're notorious for contracting the feature film scores to London.

Must to too much of a logistical challenge to score a TV show that's done in Hollywood outside the USA

Or maybe McCreary had it stipulated in his contract when he signed on. It's nice having composers who want to stick with the musicians they're comfortable with.

From the positivity here I suppose he has done better things then BSG?

I hardly know anything else. But "better things than BSG" doesn't qualify as a comparison. BSG has plenty of pretty uninteresting parts, but also several moments of sheer brilliance.