The Bear McCreary Thread

Taikomochi

Thats a pretty big assumption?

Well... I don't remember any of McCreary's scores being recorded elsewhere like in Seattle or London. All the TV shows he's worked on, as well as the more recent films, were all recorded in Los Angeles. ABC is behind S.H.I.E.L.D. as well as Marvel, and they've splashed out on composers who required live orchestras on previous shows.

• 2 weeks later...
ORDER “CAPRICA (THE SERIES): LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET)” starting July 30th at 12pm PST atwww.lalalandrecords.com and get your copy autographed by composer Bear McCreary at no additional charge. Autographs are available while supplies last and are NOT guaranteed.

La-La Land Records, NBC Universal and SyFy Channel present renowned composer Bear McCreary’s (BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, EUREKA, THE WALKING DEAD) original score to the acclaimed, dramatic science-fiction television series CAPRICA, starring Eric Stoltz, Esai Morales and Polly Walker. Mr. McCreary musically explores this series’ thoughtful battle between advanced science and human condition with breathtaking insight, emotion and beauty. Handpicked by the composer himself, this striking collection of more than 2 hours of musical highlights from this notable series is a must have for genre and music fans alike. Produced by McCreary, Steven Kaplan and Ford A. Thaxton, this limited edition of 3000 units features exclusive, in-depth liner notes from film music writer Randall Larson.

TRACK LISTING:

DISC 1:

1. Caprica Main Title (0:52)
  2. Caprica Abides (2:12)
    Music: Bear McCreary / Lyrics: Jane Espenson
    Featuring Steve Amerson, vocals
    From the Episodes: “Rebirth”and “Apotheosis”
  3. Apotheosis (6:36)
    From the Episode: “Apotheosis”
  4. All of This Has Happened (5:30)
    Music and Lyrics: Brendan McCreary
    Performed by Young Beautiful in a Hurry
    From the Episode: “The Imperfections of Memory”
  5. New Cap City (5:46)
    From the Episode: “There Is Another Sky”
  6. Lacey and the Cylon (2:47)
    From the Episode: “Rebirth”
  7. Vergis’ Dream (2:35)
    From the Episode: “Know Thy Enemy”
  8. Pact of Brothers (1:52)
    From the Episode: “Dirteaters”
  9. Grieving (Alternate Version) (1:36)
    From the Episode: Pilot
  10. Control and Power (2:54)
  11. Caprica Buccaneers Theme (0:35)
  12. Burlesque (3:36)
    Remixed by Jonathan Snipes
    From the Episode: “Ghosts in the Machine”
  13. Amanda’s Forgiveness (4:23)
    From the Episode: “False Labor”
  14. Barnabus (1:48)
    From the Episode: “Retribution”
  15. Cerberus Dance (Demo) (3:52)
  16. Through the Paces (0:52)
  17. Lacey’s Test (4:49)
    From the Episode: “Blowback”
  18. Clarice Willow (3:24)
    From the Episodes: “Rebirth,” “Reins of a Waterfall”
    and “Gravedancing”
  19. Tauron Ceremony Song
    (Piano Sketch) (2:06)
  20. Lacey and Zoe (Expanded Version) (4:41)
  21. Capricoperatica (8:42)
    Music: Bear McCreary / Lyrics: Laura Kalpakian
    Featuring Elissa Johnston
    and Alessandro Juliani, vocals
    From the Episode: “End of Line”

Total Time - Disc One: 74:05

DISC 2:

1. Caprica Abides
    (Instrumental Version) (2:13)
    From the Episodes: “Rebirth” and “Apotheosis”
  2. The Differently Sentient (4:39)
  3. Amanda’s Epiphany (5:20)
  4. Rites of Passage (4:37)
  5. New Cap City Theme (Demo) (1:51)
  6. Voices of the Dead (2:36)
    Featuring Brendan McCreary, vocals
    From the Episode: “Reins of a Waterfall”
  7. The Dive Bar (1:07)
  8. The Cylon Whisperer (4:20)
    From the Episode: “The Heavens Will Rise”
    and “Here Be Dragons”
  9. Daniel Captures the Code
    (Expanded Version) (0:52)
  10. Dirteaters (0:52)
    From the Episode: “Dirteaters”
  11. Healing Wounds (0:52)
    From the Episode: “Reins of a Waterfall”
  12. Gemenon (0:52)
    From the Episode: “Unvanquished”
  13. I Am a Man (0:52)
    Music and Lyrics: Brendan McCreary
    Performed by Young Beautiful in a Hurry
    From the Episode: “Gravedancing”
  14. Was Love (0:52)
    Music and Lyrics: Jonathan Snipes
    Performed by Captain Ahab
    From the Episode: “Gravedancing”
  15. Tamara Kills (0:52)
  16. Here Be Dragons (0:52)
    From the Episode: “Here Be Dragons”
  17. A Tauron Sacrifice
    (Expanded Version) (0:52)
  18. Waltz for Zoe (0:52)
    From the Episode: “Unvanquished”
  19. Death of the Guatrau (0:52)
  20. Tauron Ceremony Song (0:52)
    Featuring Raya Yarbrough, vocals
  21. Graystone Plays
    Nomion Variations (0:52)
    Includes “Exploration” by Stu Phillips
  22. Caprica Theme (Sketch) (0:52)

Total Time - Disc Two: 74:35
Total Time - Both Discs: 2:38:49

europa_Web.jpgSparks And Shadows presents Bear McCreary's pulsing score for Sebastián Cordero's EUROPA REPORT. McCreary’s score provides an affecting emotional arc to the film, which tells the story of an international crew of astronauts who undertake a privately funded mission to search for life on Jupiter's fourth largest moon. The soundtrack represents the music from EUROPA REPORT configured for the best listening experience.
As a website exclusive, La-La Land Records has 300 autographed copies of this amazing score available. Once these 300 autographed copies are sold, this title will no longer be available on our website.

The regular, non-autographed edition of this CD may be purchased atwww.sparksandshadows.net, www.bearmccreary.com andwww.amazon.com

TRACK LISTING:

1. Lift Off (3:12)
  2. The View (2:49)
  3. Landing On Europa (4:18)
  4. Mausoleum (4:26)
  5. The Drill (3:57)
  6. Europa Report (for solo piano) (2:48)
  7. Comically Astounding (5:11)
  8. Water (2:47)
  9. Under The Ice (5:03)
  10. Hydrazine (5:26)
  11. That Brings Us To Now (6:13)
  12. Airlock (3:18)
  13. A World Other Than Our Own (1:48)
  14. Theme From Europa Report (5:31)

© 2013 La-La Land Records. All Rights Reserved.

3 hours from now!

http://www.lalalandrecords.com/

Oh yeah? What I should have pointed out was that I placed Europa into my LLL cart about 38 minutes after the sale began. So while the Caprica autographs barely lasted 14 minutes, Europa lasted a lot longer.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand it's still there, going on, what, 8.5 hours after the sale started? Hmmm. What's it all mean, Basil?

At 12:11(and 46 seconds) pm pst we sold out of Caprica Booklets.
ORDER #'S 69498 - 69700 WILL ALL RECEIVE SIGNED CAPRICA BOOKLETS
MV

EUROPA REPORT is all sold out now.
Thanks to everyone who ordered this week.
LLL will be back in 2 weeks, Aug 13, 2013 with more releases.
Stay tuned
MV

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The lead singer, is that Bear's wife?

That's Raya Yarbrough. Bear used her on BSG from the beginning -- she sings the hymn in the main title of the show -- but she's never been romantically involved with Bear so far as I know.

The lead singer, is that Bear's wife?

That's Raya Yarbrough. Bear used her on BSG from the beginning -- she sings the hymn in the main title of the show -- but she's never been romantically involved with Bear so far as I know.

Good to know.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
It's finally here, courtesy of EW:
Check out the Black Sails Opening Credits, featuring my Main Title Theme! This heavy track features Brendon Small, Pete Griffin, Brendan McCreary, Mike Keneally, Ira Ingber, Joe Travers, The Calder Quartet, and more. Oh, and that's me playing 3 upright pianos, hurdy gurdy and accordion. The series premieres 1/25.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10151799153257096&id=39808337095&substory_index=0

Well i hated it, and i usually really like Bear McCreary and adore his BSG music.

Maybe shitty demands from the network and showrunners. I really hoped to hear a great orchestral theme and not this strange trainwreck of a main title with completely out of place rock elements...

• 2 weeks later...

Bear says

The first trailer for OUTLANDER is here and the news is official: I am scoring this highly anticipated new series for Starz. I am thrilled to collaborate once again with Ron Moore, on his adaptation of Diana Gabaldon's gorgeous narrative. At last, I get to put my love of Scottish music to good use. This feels like the show I was born for...

More McCreary is always good. This will be his third Starz series on the go, along with Da Vinci's Demons and the upcoming Black Sails. He is also currently still on Agents of SHIELD, Walking Dead and Defiance. Wow, 6 ongoing series! Must be some kind of record? The guy is a machine and still manages extras like that recent youtube webisode World of Steam. It's a good time to be a McCreary fan.

More McCreary is always good. This will be his third Starz series on the go, along with Da Vinci's Demons and the upcoming Black Sails. He is also currently still on Agents of SHIELD, Walking Dead and Defiance. Wow, 6 ongoing series! Must be some kind of record? The guy is a machine and still manages extras like that recent youtube webisode World of Steam. It's a good time to be a McCreary fan.

It's also a good time to be McCreary. ;)

Out if the six, I've only heard the Defiance OST, but it was via Spotify while working, so don't remember it well

And that it wasn't good enough! I'm sorry, but when a score is really good, even if you're doing something important while listening to it, it grabs your attention and makes you stop for a second what you're doing to focus on the music!

And that it wasn't good enough! I'm sorry, but when a score is really good, even if you're doing something important while listening to it, it grabs your attention and makes you stop for a second what you're doing to focus on the music!

Not necessarily. Some great scores take some time to appreciate, even if afterwards it seems like they should have grabbed you right away.

I've yet to be impressed by any of Bear McCreary's work. Granted I haven't followed his complete oeuvre, I generally find his work "meh", crossing between generic and average, but ultimately not that interesting for me.

He has a pretty unique style that definitely is not for everyone.

I'd say his most assessable scores are The Cape and Human Target

Even his experimental stuff, I find very workman-like, kind of like Beltrami's lesser stuff. I don't know, I guess he's not for me.

The Cape was good, but still not as amazing as its been acclaimed to be.

It's also a good time to be McCreary. ;)

Too true. It's also great that he is getting to flex different muscles. The shows are a wide variety of genres and he's getting to play with several different sounds as the budgets and types of stories being told allow.

Of the two albums released so far from this batch of shows, Da Vinci's Demons is my favourite.

Defiance is fun and has it's moments but I don't watch the show and there are a lot of songs on the album (some good, some meh). Also, the front and centre synth basses in Defiance won't be for everyone! I've only listened to it a couple of times but will revisit it soon enough.

On the other hand I do watch Da Vinci's Demons and the music really shines in the show, starting with the great (emmy-winning) main title. There are several highlights on the album that recall great moments from the show. After listening to the album several times I'd recommend that the curious should sample The Glider, Lucrezia Donati, The Lovers and Easter Mass to see if it tickles their fancy.

I've yet to be impressed by any of Bear McCreary's work. Granted I haven't followed his complete oeuvre, I generally find his work "meh", crossing between generic and average, but ultimately not that interesting for me.

Generic?! Half the time he's writing in meters like π/e or 9/13!

His BSG scores are 90%+ filler material for me, but every season there are a handful of absolutely gorgeous and musically fascinating piano and/or string pieces, for which I hold McCreary in quite high regard.

• 4 months later...

Da Vinci's Demon's Season 1 music was really good (haven't actually watched the show)....and now season 2's soundtrack's out. Listening to the first track, sounds pretty damned good already!

Lots of lengthy set pieces too...reminds me of a Horner album. But with way more tracks.

I count 9 tracks longer than 6 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

Bear really writes right up there with the best of the best, with a sound signature all his own.

Absolutely loving "Tranfusion," the first minute and half alone is utterly mesmerizing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bear is scoring the upcoming NBC show Constantine, based on the DC Comics character.

Source: https://twitter.com/bearmccreary/status/493211549494824961

Man, Bear is one busy guy. Defiance, The Walking Dead, Da Vinci's Demons, Black Sails, Outlander, Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., and now Constantine? And his wife just had a baby, too. And he does other, non-television projects, too. I wish I could be that productive!

Edit: And he's also scoring Intruders for BBC America! That makes eight different shows in 2014!

Source: http://www.bbcwpressroom.com/bbc-america/press/intruders-premieres-august-23-bbc-america/