If you ever doubted William Walton's influence on JW...

Eric_JWFAN

My friend, I thank you a thousand times! You have convinced me big time! :lol:

A few questions:

1) Please could you post a complete list of works which you have used here? (and which cues are the JW cues you link them to, I don't recognize all the 'bootleg' tracks names)

2) Could you give me the exact recording information for the Walton tracks? Orchestra's, performers, labels, catalog no.s)

3) How do you make such a really nice vids? Maybe I could give it a try for Prokofiev or Korngold :P Would be a nice idea to make these underscoring the original movie scenes :lol:

This video totally failed in it's mission. The only comparison I can find is a similar (but not the same) style of orchestration between the two composers. Other than that there's absolutely nothing to suggest an influence.

My friend, I thank you a thousand times! You have convinced me big time! ;)

A few questions:

1) Please could you post a complete list of works which you have used here? (and which cues are the JW cues you link them to, I don't recognize all the 'bootleg' tracks names)

I found every excerpt from these five pieces: Partita for Orchestra, Crown Imperial March, Symphony #2, Anniversary March, and his ballet The Quest. The cue names I did myself because I wanted to give a visual of the movie it most sounds like or at least some kind of visual reference if I didn't think it sounded like a particular movie..

2) Could you give me the exact recording information for the Walton tracks? Orchestra's, performers, labels, catalog no.s)

I got everything from 3 collections:

Sir William Walton, The Complete Works (Chandos)

Ashkenazy in Moscow 2: The English Works, Vladimir Askenazy conducting London Philharmonic (MCA)

Walton's Belshazzar's Feast, Leonard Bernstein conducting London Philaharmonic (RCA Victor)

*edit: Oh yeah the very first thing you hear is Hook: The Arrival of Tink. I used that because it ihas the most colorful and vibrant orchestrations and there were more Hook references than anything.

3) How do you make such a really nice vids? Maybe I could give it a try for Prokofiev or Korngold ;) Would be a nice idea to make these underscoring the original movie scenes :)

I just did it on Apple Final Cut with LiveType. I thought about incorporating the video as well, but it wouldn't allow me to rip most of the DVDs as they are copy protected.

Thanks for the compliments.

This video totally failed in it's mission. The only comparison I can find is a similar (but not the same) style of orchestration between the two composers. Other than that there's absolutely nothing to suggest an influence.

Did you read the title at the beginning? Orchestration was the focus of the comparison.

Did you read the title at the beginning? Orchestration was the focus of the comparison.

It wasn't very clear. sorry.

Yes JW copies also.

Eric I was wondering why you didn't play the Firebird after the opening Hook Music. perhaps that is for the Stravinsky copying video?

I only have a few Walton Scores, where do you get those?

My friend, I thank you a thousand times! You have convinced me big time! ;)

A few questions:

I found every excerpt from these five pieces: Partita for Orchestra, Crown Imperial March, Symphony #2, Anniversary March, and his ballet The Quest. The cue names I did myself because I wanted to give a visual of the movie it most sounds like or at least some kind of visual reference if I didn't think it sounded like a particular movie..

Ashkenazy in Moscow 2: The English Works, Vladimir Askenazy conducting London Philharmonic (MCA)

Walton's Belshazzar's Feast, Leonard Bernstein conducting London Philaharmonic (RCA Victor)

*edit: Oh yeah the very first thing you hear is Hook: The Arrival of Tink. I used that because it ihas the most colorful and vibrant orchestrations and there were more Hook references than anything.

3) How do you make such a really nice vids? Maybe I could give it a try for Prokofiev or Korngold ;) Would be a nice idea to make these underscoring the original movie scenes :)

I just did it on Apple Final Cut with LiveType. I thought about incorporating the video as well, but it wouldn't allow me to rip most of the DVDs as they are copy protected.

The Arrival of Tink I surely recognized :) You did a great job in titling the excerpts. The other replyers clearly haven't understood the purpose of your vid. Orchestrationwise Walton is extremely Williams alike, judging from these excerpts. I must admit I was only familiar with some of Walton's works, which actually didn't compare that much to Williams' work.

Is it possible for you to post or pm me per track from which work the tracks have been taken?

Could you comment on Walton's Symphony no.1? Is it in the same style as the 2nd or different?

My friend, I thank you a thousand times! You have convinced me big time! :P

A few questions:

Could you comment on Walton's Symphony no.1? Is it in the same style as the 2nd or different?

It's not quite as much in the JW style but it's an incredible work.

• 1 month later...
Eric can you post a downloadable version?

I can't post a downloadable version, sorry. But I'll keep it on Vimeo forever and ever. :(

I originally wanted it for YouTube, but they changed their file size/duration limitations, and it's too long.

• 9 months later...

Well I learned a lesson. Never post anything on Vimeo that you spent a lot of time on. It will just sit there forever and no one will know it's there.

17 total views since last May, woohoo!

They both have the name "William"

Heretic! Take him to the Town Square. The stoning will begin in 1 half hour. ;)

But seriously. Great work. Thanks for taking the time to put this together. There are clear similarities. Whether Williams consciously took this as influence remains to be seen but I can easily confuse a lot of Walton's music for Williams.

No one, no matter who they are, can claim to be without influence. Williams is no exception. I'm sure that he has and will freely state them himself. He's a man of integrity. I just wish more people (his fans) were open to the idea that he has been influenced by others and that there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

How DARE you suggest that Williams was inspired by anyone! Williams grew up in a bubble of creativity. He has never heard music by anyone else!

How could he, there was no good music before Williams.

How DARE you suggest that Williams was inspired by anyone! Williams grew up in a bubble of creativity. He has never heard music by anyone else!

Music history starts with John Williams

Well I learned a lesson. Never post anything on Vimeo that you spent a lot of time on. It will just sit there forever and no one will know it's there.

Eric, it wa totally worth the time. You have totally convinced me and I am currently going through all Walton recordings I can possibly get. It's a cool video, really and I would love to have a downloadable version!

I bought all the albums you used, however I have still a question:

Which cues did you use for your tracks no. 10 and 15?

Eric, it wa totally worth the time. You have totally convinced me and I am currently going through all Walton recordings I can possibly get. It's a cool video, really and I would love to have a downloadable version!

Cue #10 was taken from his Symphony #2, second movement

Cue #15 is from his Partita for Orchestra, second movement

I'll check 'm on my albums ;)

I think I hear Theme from Schindler's List in the second cue :sigh:

I'll check 'm on my albums :)

I think I hear Theme from Schindler's List in the second cue :)

Really?? :wave:

Yeah that Mozart guy was trash.

Technically though, there is at least 1 person that has written music without influence. The guy who wrote the first piece of music ever!

Really?? :P

Yes :) Check your own video at 8'03.5''

By the way, I would be very interested in a similar video with Ravel pieces!

Really?? :)

Yes :) Check your own video at 8'03.5''

Heh, never noticed that before. Great catch!