'Indy 4' Recording Sessions are Over

Josh500

I never said the man wouldn't continue to write music but it's becoming sorta obvious that he's only going to score for Spielberg or something that really interests him,which is what I was referring to.

So if the man chooses to"retire"from Hollywood then he deserves to because he has a long and distinguished career.

Definitely, as I said, it's obvious that he's slowing down. I just don't have the gift of seeing into the inner workings of his mind like some here seem to. :cool:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well once John dies, he will stop composing, and start decomposing.

then his last cd before he dies will all go blank, thankfully it will be awhile before he decomposes enough for ET and Jaws to disappear

Umm, yes. Didn't really need that detail to be honest.

Hahaha. You guys are hilarious! :cool:

I never said the man wouldn't continue to write music but it's becoming sorta obvious that he's only going to score for Spielberg or something that really interests him,which is what I was referring to.

So if the man chooses to"retire"from Hollywood then he deserves to because he has a long and distinguished career.

I have enough Williams music to last the rest of my life.

Okay, that I understand and agree with. (Earlier you said, among other things, "He's done enough." And that suggested something slightly different to me...)

Why do you assume he wants to prove something?

He's just having fun. Can't you see that? And, honestly, which composer wouldn't scoring Indiana Jones?

BTW, which composer would have been Spielberg's second choice, IF Williams had been unavailable, do you think? Me? I would think . . . probably James Horner or Danny Elfman. But who knows?

Well if he had never picked John Williams then it would have probably been Jerry Goldsmith. Maybe 10-15 years ago he would have picked Horner or Bruce Broughton.

But he has done enough. More then enough to deserve his reputation and stature. He has obsolutely nothing to prove.

No, but he does still apparently enjoy it. And that's what really matters.

Exactly.

I remember all his interviews where he mentioned how much of a shame it is that his profession is such a lonely one. How he spent more time with a piano in a day than he did with his family in a month.

Part of the reason he left the Pops was because it was such a time consuming job.

The man has sacrificed a lot, and brought us more than we could ask for of any single person.

Of course you never completely retire from something you love, but let's face it, he's come to the decision that now's the time for him to enjoy all the things in life his profession did not allow him to enjoy.

This is all true, but when one has a burning passion (and immense talent) for something, it usually consumes them - and that shows in their work.

Of course it is a lonely profession, but i'm sure he does it for himself just as much as anything else. Look at all the great composers - they all went on composing well after they didn't really need to anymore (Beethoven went on even after becoming deaf). There is no "retirement" from the ebb of creativity.

But he has done enough. More then enough to deserve his reputation and stature. He has obsolutely nothing to prove.

No, but he does still apparently enjoy it. And that's what really matters.

Of course he has nothing to proove.I still want to be waiting for new compositions and scores for as long as possible

Don't be such a weeny, this message board is not for the faint of heart

decomposing_maestro.jpg

you can tell its supposed to be John cause the hair is the same.

Let's look at Williams' projects the last few years, at least the film scores:

2002: Lucas, Spielberg, Potter, Spielberg

2003: Nothing

2004: Potter

2005: Lucas, Spielberg, Spielberg, a project initially to be directed by Spielberg he had long commited to professionally and emotionally

2006: Nothing

2007: Nothing

2008: Spielberg

The facts speak for themselves.

Don't be such a weeny, this message board is not for the faint of heart

decomposing_maestro.jpg

you can tell its supposed to be John cause the hair is the same.

I love the Far Side, forgot all about that one.

I do agree that he is slowing down (at least with film scores), but how do you explain his performance schedule? 2008 is shaping up to be a busy year! I've seen him in interviews where he states he is doing what he loves, and that is what keeps him going. And, when I met him in Boston, he had been at Symphony Hall working from 7 AM until 11:40 PM, when I finally met him. Keep in mind that in between there he held an open rehersal, did work at Symphony Hall, held the Concert, and then held meetings (including one where he had to watch a film). When he finally exitted the building, he seemed energized and upbeat. He was very engaging in conversation, and looked genuinely happy. If you need proof, look at my avatar. That picture was taken that night.

So, all I am saying is...yes, he is slowing down, but lets not write him off completely. People can work until old age. My grandmother is 79 years old and she is a waitress. She gets up every morning at 4, and works from 6 AM until 3PM in a restaurant that seats over 100. I've seen her moving in there, and its the fastest I've ever seen a waitress move.

Yes my mom is 72 and she still puts in 40 hours a week. I've been trying to talk her into retiring.

Retired from Hollywood people, I said retired from Hollywood. Nothing was said about Williams stopping his concert tours.

Sheesh. :P

I'm praying it never gets released.
Whatever. :lol:

I for one cannot wait to hear it.

I had assumed Hitch was not serious. But, now this begs the question, ARE YOU SERIOUS? :P