Show us your music collection

My DVDs (had to photoshop them to try to remove glare from the flash; didn't really fix it, but it is better)

Are you trying to trick us into thinking you own more DVD's than you own by placing that mirror besides your collection?

Hmm?

So do you have The Right Stuff twice, or did you just photograph the keepcase and the sleeve seperately. ;)

Good titles, though! George Lucas in Love and Spaceballs, along with Python. Good going. :joke:

Are you trying to trick us into thinking you own more DVD's than you own by placing that mirror besides your collection?

It's actually the door to my closet thing :-p

So do you have The Right Stuff twice, or did you just photograph the keepcase and the sleeve seperately.

I have it twice. Stupid special edition releases making me buy things twice. (The original was cheap though... like $10 I think. So not a big loss.)

And yeah, I'm a big Pythons fan. Need... complete flying circus DVDs... but too expensive...

Yeah, it is. The original release is pretty crummy actually. It's double-sided, and the movie is split between the sides. There are almost no extras. And it comes in a snap case.

The special edition is nicer; two discs, double layered so no swapping, three doumentaries, commentaries (though the movie is really too long to watch them :-p), etc. Comes in a case like X-Men if you have it... like a cardboard sleeve with a cardboard and plastic insert that holds the discs.

Is this thread still going? Anyway I threw this together for a laugh:

http://www.geocities.com/pat_burke/collection.htm ;)

"An older picture - about 50 or 60 CDs ago "

Is that your dating system? :joke:

"This happened to me about 70 or 80 CD's ago"

"I think I met her about two weeks after they released the ultimate edition of The Phantom Menace."

;)

;) livier

Ok,

I finally was able to figure this out! Thanks Ed!! I uploaded the pictures to Photobucket.com, and after around 8 hours of work yesterday I was able to finally put the cd's all in one place!

However, first, I'll show you what it used to look like:

This is the first side of my soundtrack spinner. From "The Bone Collector" - Craig Armstrong to "Alien (Expanded)" - Jerry Goldsmith

CDRack1.jpg

This is the second side of the spinner. From "Alien (Complete)" to "Alive" - James Newton Howard.

CDRack2.jpg

This is the third side of the spinner. From "Atlantis" to "I Am Sam" - John Powell

CDRack3.jpg

This is the fourth side of the spinner. From "Paycheck" to "Images" - Our Main Man!

CDRack4.jpg

This is the rest of my soundtracks. From "Raider's Of The Lost Ark" to "A Zimmer Christmas" - Hans Zimmer

CdRack5.jpg

This is the non-soundtrack cd's (Pop/Rock, to Classical) Along w/ my rear speaker for the computer.

CDRack6.jpg

This is rest of my cd's (Musicals to Spoken Word Comedy) Along w/ my signed concert poster from Goldsmith's concert in NYC in '98, and an additional copy of the "Goldsmith At Fox" set. This is also the future site of "the wall" which I'll put up in a few moments.

CDRack7.jpg

Next post will be of my DVD's.

Now for my DVD's ...

This is the main bulk of my collection. All movies are in alphatbetical order.

DVDCollection1.jpg

This is the main bulk of the box sets, which are on top of the tv. And also my main home theater setup.

DVDCollection2.jpg

This is the rest of my dvd's (Box sets, TV shows, and then the rest of the movies.

DVDCollection3.jpg

Next post will be of my new project, something that I am VERY proud of!!!

As you could tell in my first post w/ my cd's, they were spread out on several various cd racks and a spinner. I have always wanted them all in one place, but since my collection is "to-the-point-of-being-silly" (which my 12 yr. old niece said yesterday... and that I also have to go to "CD-Anonymous"), it is pretty difficult finding a cd rack which will hold 1500+ cd's, with the dimensions that would fit on that wall.

Thanks to this thread of people showing their collections, and Marians, Eplicons, and David Vincent's displays, I decided to finally have some kind of set-up which would really allow my collection to shine and give it enough room to display the way I wanted.

So, I decided to go to Home Depot and buy some shelving wood and hardware and build my own shelving.

Now, I'm not that much of a handyman so for those that have built houses, or decks, may think that this is a simple no-brainer thing to do but this was a big feat for me, one which I am very proud of!!

So, without futher adieu I present to you, my friends, my entire soundtrack collection in one place!

Since I can't get a straight-on shot of "the wall", here is the first half. On the top shelf, is now my rear left speaker + various signed photos that I have collected over the years (Danny Elfman, John Ottman, Williams' 'Sound Of Music Concert' in Pittsburgh brochure, Williams with me, another Williams, and Marc Shaiman).

DSC00428.jpg

Here is the bottom half of "The Wall"

DSC00429.jpg

I decided to walk out of the room a bit to see if I can get a full picture, and while it is tilted to the side a bit I was able to get most of it all in one shot. Here is that pic.

DSC00430.jpg

That's it!

That is my lifes' passion, and most kept-up hobby!

I am very proud of it!

You've got some THX Altec Lansing speakers.   Those are nice, they are sitting around me at this moment also ;-D

Yeah, they came with the Dell that I got three years ago! They're great, but the "Turtle Beach" sound card pretty much blows. Well, either that or it's the subwoofer.... because I only get rear sound out of the right speaker! I had a problem like that a year ago, and they sent me a re-furbished set. Now, it's happened again. It was the sub last time, probably it again but I'm not sure.

But I'll live because, and Neil would LOVE this, because I plan on getting a Mac as my next puter!

Hahaha... relax folks!

I've spent mucho dinero on this, but spread out over the past 15 years or so! I don't want anyone thinking that I'm loaded, because it damn sure isn't like that! I would say that a good 70% of that all came from used cd stores ($1-$9). When I lived in Atlanta, I had like 6 stores all within an hours drive or so and I used to go there twice a week and spend about $100. Before, and after Atlanta, there's a few places here in Jersey where I've gone ballistic but I definately don't have the selection that I did in Atlanta.

This is my only hobby and my most enduring passion here! I don't play golf, or scuba dive. I don't travel anymore, and I don't collect anything else. So I have my bills, and that's it!

It's funny, John, that you ask if it's a record store because as I was doing this I kept thinking to myself that it does look like one. And if there were more of a larger community of us, I would love to open a specialized shop. But I don't think that a place devoted purely for soundtracks, would really do very well. That's why "Footlight" has a big selection of musicals, and LPS as well as scores. At least, that's what I think.

PLEASE please please, I don't want anyone to think that I'm doing this to brag becuase I'm not.

I was geniunely interested in how others disply their collection because I've always wanted a nice display. This thread gave me some ideas, and I had the time and a little extra money to do this.

I sincerly hope no one thinks that I did this to 'top' anyone else, because I am not!

I really enjoy this thread, and I hope to see other peoples pictures!!!

Does anybody else find a strange amusement in picking out the Varese CDs in everyone's collections? 8O

I might just take a picture ("picture", as in singular) of my collection, if I get around to it.

I don't want anyone to think that I'm doing this to brag becuase I'm not.

:)

Don't worry John, we don't think you brag,

we're just 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O ;) 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O.

Nice backyard!!  ROTFLMAO

Yeah, looking at the pic it looks like I have a bloody bomb shelter back there! That's my "Garage"! LOL.

I've seriously spent my entire life collecting. It's like a damn disease! I even had a dream last night about stopping a used cd store. On one rack they had cdr's of boots, and the other they had legit.

But the coolest thing, was that if you pulled one cd out of the rack a little for each letter in a guys last name then say the name and push them back in, all the other cd's by that composer would stick out. It was weird.

It's funny you mention what you did Steef, cause I got a little paranoid after I did this. I trust you guys (and Ren), but just the plain outsider........ now that I think a little more about it Steef, you HAVE my address! ROTFLMAO

:happybday:

Rogue, I have considered adding them to my will but I don't know anyone personally who would want these. I have some friends who are into scores that I see face to face, but even they think I'm completely nutso!

now that I think a little more about it Steef, you HAVE my address!  :happybday:

I believe that was the general idea i was trying to convey.

And I have yours.

I'm giving you the 'eyes'! ROTFLMAO

Here are a few shots of my collection. I uploaded one to this post just as a teaser. You can find the rest of the pics at http://www.geocities.com/cinematicsound/cd...collection.html

Now, I just moved into my new house so there are about 300 CD's that aren't visible. They are still in boxes waiting for the new book shelf to arrive!!! As for my DVD's... pics of those will be available later.

Enjoy!

-Erik-

entire_collection.jpg

:music::music: 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

Yeah, I'm looking at my CD collection and thinking I'm a little girly-man. I still want to get a pic of my DVDs up, but my CD collection is not worthy to be in the same thread as these personal record stores that we're seeing. Amazing stuff, guys. :music:

How d'you decide what to listen to? :music:

How d'you decide what to listen to?  :music:

Sometimes it's very hard to find a CD to listen to. There are times that I just let iTunes pick'em for me. Other times I can sit for 5 to 10 minutes trying to figure out what to play and still not be able make a decision.

-Erik-

The more CDs you have, the fewer CDs you feel like playing at any moment. Or at least I do.

At least it's better then that picture of you with that huge nose.

What are you talking about?

Marian - :?

And yeah, I'm a big Pythons fan. Need... complete flying circus DVDs... but too expensive...

Evan, are you in the US? In that case go to Sam's - it's much cheaper there, I think. My local Sam's had it a few years ago and they've just brought it back this summer. I have it and it's fantastic! Some of the later discs stop being quite so funny, but they have their moments.... and the first half of the set is 8 discs of pure genius. The "Singing Barristers" - :music:

SeekUYoda, whose collection is puny and unworthy to be posted on this site.

Erik -- those are nice storage shelves! What brand are they and how many does each unit hold? I'm looking to get something big like that!

Erik -- those are nice storage shelves!  What brand are they and how many does each unit hold?  I'm looking to get something big like that!

The black CD cabinets come from IKEA. Unfortunately, that model is no longer available... but they do have others the are similar and hold almost the same amount of CD's. Each black CD cabinet holds about 250 CD's. At the time of purchase (5 years ago) each cabinet was $80.

The unfinished wood shelves were made by my Dad. $10 worth of wood and 2 days to make.

The wire CD racks were purchased at Staples Business Depot for about $15 each.

Hope that helped,

-Erik-