Show us your music collection

90% approval rating is good. I'm fine with 85% and up, but usually I can get something that interests me from someone above 90%. I always pay attention to the quality of the CD. I also look for new sealed packages off the bat. If there are none, I'll settle for Like New. Very Good and Acceptable are not acceptable to me.

Well on eBay yeah I probably wouldn't go for that. I was specifically talking about Amazon. Like I said, I usually end up buying from sellers in the high 90's.

I've only bought a few scores from Amazon marketplace and eBay. Home Alone 2 OST was my first ever eBay purchase, and what an intense bidding war it was. I beat out the other dude by 50 cents at the last second, paid around $20 I think. I got JFK off eBay for a lovely $16 like new. Presumed Innocent may have been from Amazon marketplace, can't remember. I bought Catch Me If You Can from a seller on Amazon for $5 brand new, which was nice. I know I got Minority Report cheap as well. I can't remember all of them.

I've never bought anything from someone that was lower than 99%. I've never bought anything used off of Amazon, only eBay. Plus I read feedback because all it takes is one idiot to screw up a seller's rating.

90% approval rating is good. I'm fine with 85% and up, but usually I can get something that interests me from someone above 90%. I always pay attention to the quality of the CD. I also look for new sealed packages off the bat. If there are none, I'll settle for Like New. Very Good and Acceptable are not acceptable to me.

I am the same way ( about the condition of the Disk, anyways). The only time I was ever "shorthanded" was when I purchased a "Like New" copy of "The Lost World: Jurassic Park". The last ten seconds of the second track will not play for any music-playing device, and the third track will not play at all. I have never listened to that cue outside of the film.

I've only bought a few scores from Amazon marketplace and eBay. Home Alone 2 OST was my first ever eBay purchase, and what an intense bidding war it was. I beat out the other dude by 50 cents at the last second, paid around $20 I think.

So exciting when that happens!

Yeah I always read the feedback. If the guy is like a 98% because some dude thought he took too long to ship, I'm not gonna steer away. The best seller I ever bought from, wow I just remember this. He was selling his entire JW collection cause he needed money for something else. I bought so much from him. Basically all of the Silver Age JW Classics. The CD's arrived at my doorstep literally a couple days after I paid, and he lived in the Pacific Northwest. I'm in Maryland. It was awesome.

My dog's kennel is outside the house and vermin is also not permitted in the living room, so I'm sure that kind of damage is nearly impossible.

You have any idea how small a space those little rodents can squeeze through just for a few crumbs on your floor?? Spreading disease all over your CDs?

:)

I realise that, but in 15 years, we've never had mice or other vermin in our house, and we'll keep it that way. :(

I agree with Blume's post about getting a Western Digital. I've got an Western Digital for my internal drive and it's been great these last four years. I thought about getting an external hard drive but I decided since I'm gonna build me a new pc next year I'll just get an internal terabyte drive.

That's exactly what I did last month. I will upgrade to a desktop in maybe a year's time, and I can reuse the terabyte I just bought.

I have a 250GB internal laptop drive (WD) which hasn't stepped a foot wrong yet, and just as well, since I store my irreplaceable videos and all my music on it. I regularly back all of that up on two external drives, one is a WD (80GB), the other Freecom (160GB).

Plus I have an older WD MyBook that contains a third copy of all my music , so the idea is that any 2 of my drives can fail and I'll still have at the minimum a pretty up to date copy of my music, if not a perfect replica.

It's all the cost of having a digital collection, and a relatively small (minuscule compared to some of you) CD collection, but I just find it more convenient.

---

Word of warning about drives: don't whatever you do, go for Formac external drives. We use a lot of drives at work and we needed a load more, so we ordered about 20 Formac externals, and if their cases hadn't fallen off, most of them weren't recognised by any computer for more than 5 seconds at a time. I wouldn't trust that brand with anything after that, and my department learned to spend a bit more money on certain items to get the reliability.

Incidentally - I'm thinking of getting another little 250GB to replace the MyBook (250GB, needs external PSU, fairly large in size), and therefore the latter will be surplus to requirements. I don't really want to go through the hassle of Ebay, so if anyone in the UK wants it, I might let it go for next to nothing.

• 4 weeks later...
Ew why do I see City Of Ember there? :lol:

Afraid it wasn't as impressive as JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH, but I'm willing to give ti another shot, Lockington stood out from the rest in Journey, if it fails to satisfy, Ember will be sold, if anyone actualy wants it.

And the Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla 2-disc set. Mixed bag that score, but a few pretty good cues.

The 2-CD set of Godzilla vs. Mothra should arrive in the mail any day now. Godzilla vs. Destroyah is next on my hit-list.

You're missing a couple of LotR boxes. ;)

Drax, are those VHS tapes?! On display? You don't still...watch those, do you? *shudder*

I think some of those are games, but yes, there do indeed seem to be Indiana Jones, Independence Day, 2001 and various others down there!

Greg - who has a few VHS myself, it has to be said.....

You're missing a couple of LotR boxes. :)

Drax, are those VHS tapes?! On display? You don't still...watch those, do you? *shudder*

John,

Ya I know I'm missing FOTR and TTT I plan to get them after the new year.

Good lord people still have VHS tapes!? Oh wait...I got some VHS tapes the Original Star Wars Trilogy...but that's about it.

You're missing a couple of LotR boxes. :)

John,

Ya I know I'm missing FOTR and TTT I plan to get them after the new year.

Good lord people still have VHS tapes!? Oh wait...I got some VHS tapes the Original Star Wars Trilogy...but that's about it.

I still have VHS tapes. A whole rack of them. However, I have digitized them all and burned them to DVD for viewing but there are just some movies that I don't need to repurchase on DVD.

-Erik-

Since my brother has my digital camera, I just took a quick snapshot of my collection with my phone. The JW starts at the middle of the second row, and ends at the middle of the third.

Note: These are just the CD's I own. My brother has more. So double it and add a little more, and you'll get the idea.

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't my entire music collection, just my film score related stuff. I have another whole rack for "regular" music

Row 1 is Williams (Towering Inferno is first but somehow got cropped out of the picture I took)

Rows 2-4 are everyone else, alpha by compser then chronological by score. Plus the stupid boxes too large to fix in the rack upright. Just realized the tallbox for the 1993 anthology should go there... right now its on another shelf with random stuff

Row 5 on the left is further Williams that no longer fit in row 1 (the first 4 are the 1993 anthology, the rest are re-recordings (Gerhardt, Boston Pops, etc). The right part of row 5 are various film score compilations and other junk

Row 6 is tv show scores

Row 7 are "song collection" soundtracks. They used to be in my "regular music" rack but I ran out of room there.

Everything below is junk I didn't bother to crop out :)

img2178smallte0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Must be the way how you took the picture because it looks bigger than 48 inches. Mine's only 40''...I was gonna get a 42'' but even it would have been too big for my room, hell even the 40'' is almost too big.

Kids these days, I remember how excited I was when my mom upgraded my 13" Black & White to a 13" color TV in my bedroom. Oh and I got cable too.