Summer Scores 2008

tpigeon

Other than Williams' Indy score, what scores coming out this summer are you most looking forward to?

Although many seemed to dislike "Batman Begins," I liked it enough to be interested by what they do for a sequel. I'm expecting the hero theme to develop more, which (interestingly) it is in the first film, but its development doesn't show up on the album. Anyway, I think that has some potential, and JNH's atmospheric string writing will at the very least be interesting. His scores have been so good lately that his presence alone commands my interesting.

I'm also looking forward to "Hellboy II: The Golden Army," by Danny Elfman. As much as I love Elfman, I must admit that I would have rather Beltrami scored this. Beltrami is a rising composer who's written some great scores in recent years, including the westerns, "3:10 to Yuma" the brilliant "Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada," and of course the first "Hellboy," which layed out a tapestry of themes that will likely be abandoned by Elfman. I don't doubt Elfman will do wonders with Del Toro's imagination, but I would like to see what Beltrami would have done with his own themes.

I'm also anticipating Harry Gregson-Williams' "Prince Caspian" score, since I very much liked the first score and I think this film will open up some more creative possibilities for new themes and the development of old ones.

Anything else?

Ted

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Offhand I can only think of two: Prince Caspian, since I really like the first score and am looking forward to hearing both new themes and new incarnations of previous ones, as you said (glad to hear you like the first score too Ted - it doesn't seem to be regarded very well around here aside from John Crichton, me, and a few others). And then The Happening, just because JNH's work for Shyamalan is usally amazing.

The Happening, The Dark Knight, Speed Racer, Frost/Nixon (Decidedly not a summer film...but for some reason, coming out in the summer). Very interested in what Elfman did for the Errol Morris film. Wall-E, of course. Newman is the surest bet after JW. These six, in addition to IJ4, of course, are the ones I'm most looking forward to.

I was mightily dissappointed by Gregson-Williams' first Narnia score...but you never know.

The Dark Knight

The Happening

Prince Caspian

Speed Racer

Frost/Nixon

Kung Fu Panda

Madagascar: The Crate Escape

I didn't know Elfman was doing Hellboy II. I'm definitely interested in that. I also just found out he's doing Wanted, so I'll add that to my list.

Indiana Jones 4 is the one I'm most interested in.

Speed Racer, maybe, it depends on what route Giacchino takes. The same with Wall-E and possibly Hellboy.

Of course Indy 4. :blink:

I'm interested in hearing Elfman's Hellboy II, since I think he is suitable for a film like this, and plus, I haven't heard anything decent from him in a LONG time.

Also, I can't wait to hear the score to Prince Caspian.....I didn't know HGW was composing this.....I thought Arnold was.......

Anyway, maybe it was a change for the better. I just LOVED the first Narnia score (and movie). The Mr. Tumnas (or something like that) Theme, the Opening credits music, and all of the battle music was amazing.

Arnold is soppsedly scoring the third film (I believe that he confirmed this, even though he was initially only rumored to be scoring this, due to Michael Apted's attachement).

I heard that too, Morlock. I don't know how I feel about it; it's kind of similar to Elfman taking over "Hellboy." If Gregson-Williams turns out a good score for "Prince Caspian," I'll be conflicted over the next one. I love Arnold in action-adventure mode, but I also like thematic consistency.

As for Giacchino and Newman, they are both talented enough to write good scores for their respective films, both which appear to offer a number of musical opportunities.

Ted

Prince Caspian looks like the most boring fantasy film ever.I fall asleep during the trailer.

Well it looks just like LOTR so I guess that's a pretty boring trilogy. My friend told me C.S. Lewis and Tolkien were friends, so maybe that's why they're so similar.

LoTR at the very least had passion. The first Narnia had none.

I heard that too, Morlock. I don't know how I feel about it; it's kind of similar to Elfman taking over "Hellboy." If Gregson-Williams turns out a good score for "Prince Caspian," I'll be conflicted over the next one. I love Arnold in action-adventure mode, but I also like thematic consistency.

I do too....but I did not like Gregson-Williams' themes, or what he did with them. Only one cue in the score really stuck with me, within and outside of the film (The Lullaby). And I really don't care about the movies- while I initially liked the first one, I really have no use for it. If I can get a score more to my liking out of it, it'd be a good bargain from my pov.

As for Giacchino and Newman, they are both talented enough to write good scores for their respective films, both which appear to offer a number of musical opportunities.

Speaking of Newman- anyone know what's going on with the Alan Ball film that premiered in Toronto last year? I really don't care about the film...but I am interested in the score.

Definately Prince Caspian. I'm looking forward to the score much more than the movie itself, which I don't have high hopes for.

Speed Racer might give us some good Giacchino action cues.

John- still trying to come to terms with the fact that we won't get a Giacchino Star Trek until next year

Indy 4, of course, and The Dark Knight (this is mostly curiosity, I'm not really counting on a great score).

Is Goldenthal scoring anything this year?

As far as I know....nein. He seems intent on leaving S.W.A.T. his ultimate masterpiece and swan song (Across The Universe doesn't really count).

Is Elfman confirmed to be taking over Hellboy? I thought I read somewhere that Del Toro said in response to not using Beltrami for Pan's Labrynth, that he'd go back to him for the next Hellboy.

Indy 4

Absolutely nothing else.

What a surprise.

I'm looking forward to Indy 4, Wall-E, Prince Caspian (Chris, you're not alone in liking it. True, there's some MV elements but I still enjoy it). Not really excited about the Dark Knight. Zimmer's noise completely overshadowed whatever the hell it is JNH did on that movie.

Yes, he has. IIRC, del-Toro actually said something to effect that the main titles for the first film were rythmically inspired by Elfman.

I really don't have much of an opinion on this- neither film nor score left a strong impression on me, and I was a staunchly apathetic to Beltrami until 3:10 to Yuma (which I love)

Arnold is soppsedly scoring the third film (I believe that he confirmed this, even though he was initially only rumored to be scoring this, due to Michael Apted's attachement).

He will be scoring this, he said it himself.

As for my most anticipated scores (not necesarilly in the Summer), there are:

- Indy IV and Lincoln by JW

- any upcoming score by Giacchino

- Dark Knight by Zimmer (even thoug I was disappointed with Begins)

- Quantum of Solace by David Arnold

- Prince Caspian by Gregson-Williams (I hope he will improve over good, but flawed first part)

- Happening by Howard

- any upcoming score by Michal Lorenc

- and Wall-E by T. Newman, of course

Other than Williams' Indy score, what scores coming out this summer are you most looking forward to?

If you're just gonna list Indy 4, don't bother posting! :)

Indy IV (for obvious reasons)

Wall-E (scores for Pixar movies rarely disappoint)

Prince Caspian (the first was pretty good)

The Happening (with their track-record it should be very good)

The Dark Knight (I liked Begins but it was disappointing, hopefully this will be better)

Speed Racer (why? Giacchino's "Roar". That's why)

I thought I read some obscure composer was scoring it. Do you have confirmation that Debney is scoring it, Morlock?

Ted

I stand corrected. I was under the impression that Debney was scoring it, especially given his previous relationship with Favreau...but both the imdb and Scott Bettencourt of FSM tell me that it's Ramin Djawindi (Of RC).

Not to join the anti-Zimmers, but think that changes my expectations of the score from 0 (when I saw the trailer) into the negative numbers.

Oh, I forgot to include The Happening in my list. Should be a fantastic score if their track record continues.

Oh, I forgot to include The Happening in my list. Should be a fantastic score if their track record continues.

I thought that Lady in The Water was a step-down score-wise (well, there's plenty of terrific music in it, but I don't feel it comes together, and a lot of it means very little- no doubt an extension of my feelings for the film). So I personally hope it'll be an improvement....but even that score, lacking for my tastes, is a pretty high standard to hope for. It is certainly one of the most interesting collaborations going on, and I sincerely hope it lets JNH shine absolutely (Of his last few scores, some felt very workman-like to me, and even the best did not approach the level of his best score. Though Water Horse is immensely listenable.)

Not to join the anti-Zimmers, but think that changes my expectations of the score from 0 (when I saw the trailer) into the negative numbers.

I think I might rather an RC composer I know almost nothing about than a predictably solid, but not exceptional Debney score (which, for me, means every single Debney score save Cutthroat).

I'm looking forward to Prince Caspian all around. From the little clips I'm seeing in passing, Speed Racer looks like a turd, but I'm hopeful Giacchino will provide some transcendently nice scoring. I'm looking forward to seeing what (if any) improvements are made in The Dark Knight. Zimmer has talked about the thematic development, and maybe Nolan won't waste the talents of Zimmer and Howard on so much wallpaper (with brief glimmers of thematic and melodic development spotting it) for this film. I'm really curious as to how they'll handle the Joker, musically.

I'm really curious as to how they'll handle the Joker, musically.

Yes, that's a big draw for me as well. I wonder if it will have comedic or sinister vibe, or a mixture of both.

Prince Caspian looks like the most boring fantasy film ever.I fall asleep during the trailer.

Indeed!

Well it looks just like LOTR so I guess that's a pretty boring trilogy. My friend told me C.S. Lewis and Tolkien were friends, so maybe that's why they're so similar.

The books are not very similiar. The Narnia film attempts to be simliar to LotR films, but it is soooooooooooooooooooooooooo far off, one of the worst films I've ever seen. The score was pretty good, so I'm looking forward to Prince Caspian.

The only score I'm really excited for is The Happening (other than Indy 4, of course).

Prince Caspian, since I really like the first score and am looking forward to hearing both new themes and new incarnations of previous ones, as you said (glad to hear you like the first score too Ted - it doesn't seem to be regarded very well around here aside from John Crichton, me, and a few others).

You can count me in as one of those others, though I do feel parts of it are boringly average. I'm looking forward to Prince Caspian, but my main worry is that it'll be pretty much just a re-hash of the first (like Shrek 2 and 3). I hope he'll try to mix things up and make it more unique - in a good way of course.

I'm not all that interested in The Happening. Of Howard's Shyamalan collaborations I'm only closely familiar with The Village. On the other hand I really anticipated The Water Horse and wasn't disappointed (took a few listens to really get into the whole thing though). Guess I'll have to listen to some samples first.

And then, sure, there's WALL-E and Dark Knight and maybe some others.

But everything else absolutely pales in comparison with my anticipation for Indiana Jones. ABSOLUTELY. PALES.

I also had notions that Debney was doing Iron man :blink:

You people need to do some actual internet browsing. Djawadi has been attached to the project for months. You need to stop expecting and actually click a few buttons, or just pay attention to the end of the trailer.

No personal attacks here, just a little smack to the 5 or so people who believed Debney was going to score the film.

To tell the truth, I'm really not paying that much attention to new score releases any more.

Over the past year or so, re-releases and expansions or just premiere releases of old material have garnered much more interest from me.

Right now, I'm mostly looking forward to the third Lost album. Indy 4 is still hardly on my radar. I'll get excited for it when we get our first samples.

The first Williams score in over two years, which is rumored to be similar in style to his '80s classics, is less than two months away and it's not on your radar? :)

I also had notions that Debney was doing Iron man :)

No personal attacks here, just a little smack to the 5 or so people who believed Debney was going to score the film.

But was debney attached or not?

That's when i looked about it.

Im not that interested in that movie as to check things every now and then

The first Williams score in over two years, which is rumored to be similar in style to his '80s classics, is less than two months away and it's not on your radar? :)

I know it's coming.

That's about it.

Stargate: Continuum by Joel Goldsmith.

Is Continuum getting a score release? I know on Gateworld they said The Ark Of Truth is but I haven't read anything about Continuum yet.

BTW as far as scores coming out this summer... I'm in the same boat as Marc. My interest in new scores has really died down a lot lately.