The Custom Covers Thread

[begin]

A public service announcement: ;)

As we work on custom covers and perhaps even scan in various original covers towards that effort, I wanted to post a plug for the website "Album Art Exchange" where folks post some really fantastic scans of album covers for use in itunes etc. They don't post custom covers, but their collection is a bit weak on soundtracks so it looks like they could use the help of some dedicated fans here. So, if you've scanned in some soundtrack covers while making custom ones, why not do a public service and contribute your scans over at the "Album Art Exchange"?

http://www.albumartexchange.com/covers.php

[/end]

Okay, back to our regularly scheduled explosion of creativity!

anyone done an expanded Air Force One? I don't really care about the back cover

I did at one point, using a screen cap of the movie that showed Air Force One parked at the Moscow airport at the beginning of the film.

I tend to redo it...if I do I'll be sure to post it. In the mean time here is the main cover I did for it.

AirForceOne.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well I decided to take a stab and did a custom cover for LLL's release of Independence Day. I used a very similar image to what they used...which is obvious it came from a screen cap and I personally think that the font is way too big. Hope you guys like this.

IndependenceDay3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been playing around with custom artwork reminiscent of the simple title art lps of the 70s. (A lot like Charlie's Rambo one there, although mine are probably less polished than his.)

jaws.jpgraiders.jpg

tmp.jpgtrek2.jpg

Unfortunately, I didn't make them very large because I couldn't find resources for them in a very large size. The only one I scanned myself was the Wrath of Khan, which I scanned from the program cover. (I do have the Wrath of Khan even larger if you want it bigger than this.) Sadly, I can't find the Star Trek TMP art in a larger format. The Jaws one and Raiders I could probably scan larger at some point, but I made them from stuff found on the net. Here they are, as large as possible.

treklarge.jpg

jawslarge.jpg

WOKBIG.jpg

can some one please reupload the spiderman 1 and 2 covers? thanks!

I did them differently since my original upload. Here are the new ones.

Spider-Man-1.jpg

Spider-Man2-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings all,

I'm attempting a back cover for "Scotland, PA" and would like to make the track listing look like the following picture, with the track names on the left and the artist/duration of track on the right:

scotland.jpg

Any ideas on how to do that? Is there a font similar to this?

Thanks!

BTW, it's being a nightmare finding something to make Avatar custom covers.

The ads for this movie are atrocious.

I generally go to this website here http://www.impawards.com for posters to use as main covers. I used two similar ones ..well they look similar but the color is different for each.

That's what i mean, the photoshoped Posters of this movie are very average in quality. Look like Direct to DVD movie.

The all the posters and promotional stills are so colorful an bright that the text you can put on there stick like a sore thumb

The preview poster (original OST cover) would look great...if neytiri looked like her.

And I always thought the OST showed Neytiri.

Does anybody have any scans of the four discs of the Star Wars Anthology? I have misplaced the power cord to my flatbed scanner, and would like to use the discs themselves rather than the black-on-black covers of each jewel case. I would search the internet for color versions of those logos, but feel the radio plays will suffice for representing them.

Never mind, Amazon has images.

Well here they are, several versions:

For a 2cd set or itunes:

Front cover version 1

Front Cover version 2

For a 3CD set:

Front cover version 1

Front cover version 2

I cannot post back covers with titles :D

But here are small pics for an overall view (PM if you want the bigger versions)

For the version 1 front covers

For the version 2 front covers

For the version 2 front covers alternate

I hope you like them

Is anyone able to adjust the Blu-Ray sized deluxe Star Trek cover to normal CD dimensions, for use in iTunes? One day I'll learn how to use some kind of design software. Also, we better get ready to make some art for the download-only Toy Story 3 soundtrack.

The image I got from Varese's website is 620x460. I aim for 600x600 for my iTunes covers, and did not want to rescale this image. The original image features a wide black border, which can be trimmed at either side to reduce the width to 600 pixels. I copied and pasted that image into a black image 600x600 in size, and roughly centered. That's good enough for me, though the OST will be removed from my iPod, and truthfully, the D.E. never made it on yet.

Voila!

startrekdealbumcover.th.jpg

I rebuilt the photos using higher-res versions from the official site and reproduced/resized/moved the text so it would look sharp at a higher resolution and fit better in this aspect ratio. Mission successful, I think - if you like the original album art in the first place, that is.

Voila!

I rebuilt the photos using higher-res versions from the official site and reproduced/resized/moved the text so it would look sharp at a higher resolution and fit better in this aspect ratio. Mission successful, I think - if you like the original album art in the first place, that is.

Nicely done Joe, that definitely looks better. I'm still puzzled as to why Varèse chose to use Blu-Ray size dimensions (case) for this instead of an actual double disc jeweled case.

Voila!

When my copy gets here (a few days after 14th), I'll be using this image. :) Thanks !!!

I didn't know there was a high-res version at the official site. When I shrink Data's down to 600x600, it won't look much different from what I made.

I didn't know there was a high-res version at the official site.

Yeah, they have a bunch of high-res images that are useful for album art and whatnot. ;)

When I shrink Data's down to 600x600, it won't look much different from what I made.

Very true - I just liked the idea of the same image being theoretically printable as an actual cover for the album.

Is anyone able to adjust the Blu-Ray sized deluxe Star Trek cover to normal CD dimensions, for use in iTunes? One day I'll learn how to use some kind of design software. Also, we better get ready to make some art for the download-only Toy Story 3 soundtrack.

I would imagine Pixar/Disney will provide cover artwork like they did for Up when you download it.

For Star Trek I'll probably just use the artwork from the original album for the new one. Or I'll just use the artwork as is from Varese's site.

Yeah, they have a bunch of high-res images that are useful for album art and whatnot. ;)

Whose site? Vareses? Where? I had to view the page source to even download the 620x460 image that I did, because they disable right click.

Very true - I just liked the idea of the same image being theoretically printable as an actual cover for the album.

I haven't used a printer in my house since I installed XP to my last computer back in college in 2001 or so, and watched as Canon didn't update their drivers for that printer. I use the money I save on not buying ink to buy more soundtracks.