The Custom Covers Thread

Man....there are some DEAD SEXY covers on here! I somehow never noticed this thread before. You people's skills are beyond mine in this area.

NOTE: Star Wars: Kinect is new and Concert Suites Episode 1, 2, 5 and 6 have been updated with much better versions.

If anybody is interested in any of the below in a larger size, let me know and I can upload them.

For now, this is what I made for my iTunes covers:

Main Covers for All Six Films:

Star%20Wars%20Episode%20I%20-%20The%20Phantom%20Menace.jpgStar%20Wars%20Episode%20II%20-%20Attack%20of%20the%20Clones.jpgStar%20Wars%20Episode%20III%20-%20Revenge%20of%20the%20Sith.jpg

Star%20Wars%20Episode%20IV%20-%20A%20New%20Hope.jpgStar%20Wars%20Episode%20V%20-%20The%20Empire%20Strikes%20Back.jpgStar%20Wars%20Episode%20VI%20-%20The%20Return%20of%20the%20Jedi.jpg

Alternate Covers for All Six Films intended for Concert Suites:

Star%20Wars%20Concert%20Suites%20Episode%201.jpgStar%20Wars%20Concert%20Suites%20Episode%202.jpgStar%20Wars%20Concert%20Suites%20Episode%203.jpg

Star%20Wars%20Concert%20Suites%20Episode%204.jpgStar%20Wars%20Concert%20Suites%20Episode%205.jpgStar%20Wars%20Concert%20Suites%20Episode%206.jpg

All Games, Etc. in the Same Style:

Star%20Wars%20-%20Shadows%20of%20the%20Empire.jpgStar%20Wars%20-%20The%20Force%20Unleashed%20I.jpgStar%20Wars%20-%20The%20Force%20Unleashed%20II.jpg

Star%20Wars%20-%20Knights%20of%20the%20Old%20Republic%20I.jpgStar%20Wars%20-%20Knights%20of%20the%20Old%20Republic%20II.jpgStar%20Wars%20-%20The%20Old%20Republic.jpg

Star%20Wars%20-%20Kinect.jpg

And because I just really can't stand the modernist covers when there's better available:

The%20Avengers.jpg

AGH! Why does this forum insist on merging all posts?

that was Alan Lee/John Howe art for Mount Doom.... its just blue, because the EE DVD cover is blue.

Just for the sake of it, I was wondering if I could do back covers too.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to improve this one for The Phantom Menace?

I've got no clue how to actually PRINT these buggers properly, so that would require some adjustment.

I could upload the PSD file for anyone interested once I'm done with messing around with it.

It'd also be easy enough to upload a version without track names so anyone can use it for their edit.

Additionally, here are all four Indiana Jones games' covers that match in style with JanBing's brilliant set (as good as I could mimic it anyway):

Indiana%20Jones%20and%20the%20Fate%20of%20Atlantis.jpgIndiana%20Jones%20and%20the%20Infernal%20Machine.jpgIndiana%20Jones%20and%20the%20Emperor%27s%20Tomb.jpgIndiana%20Jones%20and%20the%20Staff%20of%20the%20Kings.jpg

NOTE: I updated the Star Wars set above with some new and updated ones and added the Indiana Jones games set above as well.

Harry Potter Film Scores in Same Style:

Harry%20Potter%201.jpgHarry%20Potter%202.jpgHarry%20Potter%203.jpgHarry%20Potter%204.jpg

Harry%20Potter%205.jpgHarry%20Potter%206.jpgHarry%20Potter%207-1.jpgHarry%20Potter%207-2.jpg

Harry Potter Game Scores in Same Style:

Harry%20Potter%20Game%201.jpgHarry%20Potter%20Game%202.jpgHarry%20Potter%20Game%203.jpgHarry%20Potter%20Game%204.jpg

Harry%20Potter%20Game%205.jpgHarry%20Potter%20Game%206.jpgHarry%20Potter%20Game%207-1.jpgHarry%20Potter%20Game%207-2.jpg

Bonus Children's Suite:

Harry%20Potter%20-%20Children%27s%20Suite.jpg

• 2 months later...

Pieter, really LOVE your covers...!!

Just a bit of advice: try to avoid text covering essential part of the artwork images such as faces of characters. For example: the way the Harry Potter logo blocks Hermoine's face on your cover of Deathly Hallows part 1 should - from an aesthetic perspective - be avoided at all costs.

Otherwise; great work.

Thanks for the kind comments. I have some updated and new ones that I posted elsewhere, but I'm not sure how to post them here anymore.

The site I used to use is about to come to an end and I don't really have time to make an new accounts on image sharing sites.

Anyway, some of the stuff I did:

- Star Trek 1-6 covers now using the correct title fonts

- Harry Potter 7-2 pictures swapped and colours improved on the former game cover

- Did a bunch of various adventure movie series (The Mummy, The Librarian, Jack Hunter, Journey) and also Air Force One, John Carter, Narnia and Rambo

Will hopefully be able to post them here one way or another soon.

Roald, you're absolutely right about the text covering. That is originally why I moved the text to the bottom instead of having it at the top.

Otherwise, it'd obstruct things on the Williams covers. Unfortunately for 7-1, the cover I used doesn't want to cooperate with my layout.

If anyone can find a better cover with the faces further up, I'd be most interested.

I put that AotC shot on the TPM back cover because I found some other good shots for AotC and RotS.

The fact that the airport wasn't shown in TPM doesn't mean it wasn't there. Right? :mrgreen

These are clearly not supposed to be printed out (as the resolution won't hold up), but if you'd like to tag your MP3 rip nicely, go ahead!

Volume1.jpg101OnLeatherWings.jpg102TheLastLaugh.jpg103ItsNeverTooLate.jpg104PrettyPoison.jpg105ChristmasWiththeJoker.jpg106TwoFace.jpg107TwoFacePart2.jpg108JokersFavor.jpg109Vendetta.jpg110PerchancetoDream.jpg111BirdsofaFeather.jpg

Mh, obviously replying after you've already replied edits your new reply into your last post... crazy! Volume 2 covers coming up, once someone else has replied to this thread :D

Really cool! I just might use them when I re-tag Volume 1 to match Volume 2. There's no way I'm making each episode its own album -- six albums, one for each disc, is sufficient -- but artwork like that helps to identify the episodes.

Nifty! But for "Harley and Ivy," change "Davidson" to "Davison." It appears both ways in the booklet -- an unfortunate single-letter typo -- but "Davison" is correct.

Those are really good covers. Always loved the art of the old show.

• 3 weeks later...

I made this back in the hey day of HP:SS/PS

98493390js2.jpg

There's a raw...almost primitive quality to it. But it's marvellous in it's simplicity. The play between light and dark, which would become a characteristic of this artist is already coming into play!

Those Batman covers are beautiful. I will use them for sure. But please, I beg you - make them for future volumes too. ;)

Seriously - those are terrific!

Those batman covers are amazingly incredible, such a brilliant idea and perfectly realized. Bravo again!

Those batman covers are amazingly incredible, such a brilliant idea and perfectly realized. Bravo again!

Indeed! Just wonderfully capture the series and the individual episodes!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I understand the desire for consistency, but is the "limited edition" label at all accurate for Star Trek II, III, IV, V (as of the Intrada re-release) or VI? I don't wanna be too anal, as the covers look ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC! I just thought I'd ask.

Matching fronts for the Star Trek soundtracks (click for 300dpi full res):

st4small.jpg

Anybody else think Shatner looks like a bobblehead here?

JanBing,

How do you get the pictures to stay perfect size? I mean when I work on them in photoshop and I go to re-size them to 1418 x 1418 I have to sacrifice some of the picture, generally from the top and bottom.

Sure, I have to sacrifice parts of the images as well, as it of course happens when putting a film poster aspect ratio into a square aspect ratio. But there are several tricks to fill in the missing areas, like stretching the edges of the image, or putting other parts from the artwork in there.

Sometimes the original image works without changes (like with 1, 2, 3, 6 and 7), and sometimes you have to be inventive.

An example:

st4.gif

Holy crappaloni, JanBing; how did you do THAT??? They look so much better than even the improved versions I did (newer than the ones posted above).

Will you be doing Insurrection, Nemesis and the new Star Trek as well? Alternatively, would you mind posting a template of yours so I can make mine match up accordingly?

Also, I did eventually make game covers matching your work for Indiana Jones. I posted the small versions above on this page:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14965&st=800#entry812217

Obviously they're not all up to standard and especially Infernal Machine is pretty bad, while Staff of the Kings doesn't quite fit with the rest.

Pretty impressive stuff, but for Generations and First Contact you switched "Special Limited Edition" and "Complete Motion Picture Score" when compared to the rest.

On purpose, of course, regarding the artwork.

Sure, I have to sacrifice parts of the images as well, as it of course happens when putting a film poster aspect ratio into a square aspect ratio. But there are several tricks to fill in the missing areas, like stretching the edges of the image, or putting other parts from the artwork in there.

Sometimes the original image works without changes (like with 1, 2, 3, 6 and 7), and sometimes you have to be inventive.

An example:

st4.gif

Ah, okay thanks for the info! :)

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As much as I dislike the idea of a poster focusing on The Ring so much, I must admit that is a very well made cover using that image :)

As much as I dislike the idea of a poster focusing on The Ring so much.

Depends on how much the ring is used in the films of course (its not used much in AUJ though, so you've got me there)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

New LOTR covers:

FOTRTE_zps52939ed1.png

TTTLE_zpsc8256940.png

ReturnoftheKingTheatrical_zpsc111b651.pn

The Idea is that over each film, Sauron's influence and power is growing, hence the faded out, desaturated Eye in FOTR, compared to the full red Eye in ROTK

FOTR2_zps2ea78d69.png

TTTLE2_zpsabd9ef73.png

ReturnoftheKingTheatrical2_zps42af8600.p

ReturnoftheKingTheatrical3_zpsa9e81918.p

Some of the covers that I have done previously and posted elsewhere...

The Dark Knight Trilogy: Collector's Edition Complete

tumblr_mdpbl6sfSk1qheh20o1_1280.png
tumblr_mdpbl6sfSk1qheh20o2_1280.png

tumblr_mdpbl6sfSk1qheh20o3_1280.jpg

The Dark Knight Rises Complete - The Pit

tumblr_mdoq0x8o1d1qheh20o1_1280.png

Elysium OST:

tumblr_mmjtgp2lp71qheh20o1_1280.jpg

Prometheus Expanded:

tumblr_mmjtgp2lp71qheh20o3_1280.png

Skyfall Expanded:

tumblr_mmjtgp2lp71qheh20o2_1280.png