Hans Zimmer Appreciation Thread

Koray Savas

On 4/18/2016 at 6:54 AM, Stefancos said:

He has pretty good tastes in music

No he doesn't 

Replying to 2 year old posts now Joe?

Anyways, Ford Thaxton chimed in on the new release:

1.) This new release was taken from Digital Masters and multi-track tape discovered at MGM.

2.) It has the entire score plus recreations of the two suites that appeared on the song album using the film mixes (They were remixed for the song album), but sound fairly close.

3.) The only thing that isn't included are a couple of bonus tracks on the original releases, which seem to be just element tracks taken from the full mixes and given how awful they sounded we decided not to include them.

IMHO, this sounds light years better then the original release of the RAIN MAN score.

I hope you enjoy it.

Ford A. Thaxton

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=126453&forumID=1&archive=0

I've found the Hans Zimmer Live in Prague on Netflix today. It is actually very entertaining...like a clash of a rock concert with orchestra. It sort of demonstrates why he's so popular with the mass audiences. Now I regret not seeing this live.

Karol

Yes, it was great fun to see him live (the Oslo gig was basically the same as the Prague gig), although earplugs were mandatory.

I don't get why many concert artists insist on insanely high sound volume. It's just annoying to have to use earplugs, and exhausting (and possibly fatal for your hearing) if you forget to bring them.

Yes, the few times I've been in an environment with loud music, the volume is insanely loud, such that I couldn't stay in the room without putting ear plugs in (or trying to - my ears don't like invaders). I don't understand why.

Since I already have severe chronic tinnitus in my left ear, I try to bring earplugs to all kinds of concerts (or use my fingers if I've forgotten). Shouldn't be necessary, but in many cases it is. The Oslo gig was also extra annoying in this respect, since the venue is terrible for sound and swallows all of the sound so it becomes one big "carpet". But that's not Zimmer's fault, of course.

I’m more interested in the new symphonic zimmer concert that will take place in Germany this year. Zimmer was involved but won’t be performing. It will be mostly orchestral and not like a rock concert.

• 2 weeks later...

Hollywood in Vienna will honor Hans Zimmer this year with the 10th Max Steiner Award. It sounds like the entire program will be devoted to Zimmer in conjunction with The World of Hans Zimmer tour. 

This year looks to be a symphonic treat for Zimmer music fans. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

👋🏻 I’m a fan of Hans Zimmer!

FAVORITE Hans Zimmer score: Inception

Favorite theme from Inception:

Mal’s Theme

Favorite Zimmer sound:

Stopwatch/Clock 

😇

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Blech.  My tolerance for Zimmer effusing about the power of music and creativity is basically zero.  Couldn't make it past 15 seconds.

My tolerance is similarly nil...what do you think it is? I can usually enjoy creatives speaking enthusiastically about the process, it's one of my favorite things to hear (I absolutely love listening to Ray Bradbury, for example). But with Zimmer, it's a no-go.

Perhaps because Zimmer, unlike for others, makes things too much about himself.  Other artists have egos to be sure, but when they speak you get a sense that the art fuels their egos, not the other way around.  There are others more like Zimmer, though and worse.

Anyone ever notice the similarity between one of Zimmer's themes from Gladiator and one of Richard Rodney Bennett's from Nicholas and Alexandra?

Passing, perhaps.  Is there some sort of technical commonality?  The one always reminds me of the other.

On 8/28/2018 at 7:42 PM, KK said:

Nonsense dialogue aside, I kinda dig it.

Wow!! Thanks for pointing this out. That ecstatic final minute mixed with the sunset visuals is stunning. Classic Zimmer. 

Here's the music by itself, btw:

8 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:

Anyone ever notice the similarity between one of Zimmer's themes from Gladiator and one of Richard Rodney Bennett's from Nicholas and Alexandra?

It's a very typical belcanto course, melodically. You will find it in many italian scores of the same time (Morricone, Ncolai etc.).

On 9/5/2018 at 5:02 PM, Will said:

This relatively new piece is predictable but very fun. :music:

This is what I imagine music sounds like when written by a bad algorithm. It’s just one slow, basic “melody”. I don’t think there’s ever even a key change to break up the monotony. Takes two men to write this stuff?

1 hour ago, Iron_Giant said:

Takes two men to write this stuff?

Kind of a silly thing to say.  It's two guys jamming and bouncing ideas around to fulfill a brief, not two guys desperately trying with everything they've got to turn out a masterpiece.

But it’s not really all that silly to say. We’re talking about the theme for the FIFA World  Cup, which is a top-tier global event. Not the kind of thing where “jamming” and “bouncing ideas” should be considered a sufficient level of effort. And, still, it doesn’t change the fact that this the best that superstar Zimmer and Co. could come up with.

21 minutes ago, Iron_Giant said:

But it’s not really all that silly to say. We’re talking about the theme for the FIFA World  Cup, which is a top-tier global event. Not the kind of thing where “jamming” and “bouncing ideas” should be considered a sufficient level of effort. And, still, it doesn’t change the fact that this the best that superstar Zimmer and Co. could come up with.

No, it is silly, because it's still just a brief from the people who hired them.  The job is to meet those requirements, however that's done.  It may not be "sufficient" music for the event for you, but apparently it was for the FIFA people.

26 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

So you are a soccer fan, TGP?

Not particularly, but it tends to be on alot here especially when Wales is involved.

My guess is the FIFA brief was to get the Zimmer cachet attached to FIFA one way or another, while conversely the Zimmer brief was to get his name attached to FIFA for the branding boost (just like he did with Masterclass and Land Rover). It’s almost perverse how perfect the two were for each other, actually. 

Man, I really don’t care for Zimmer, do I??

3 minutes ago, Iron_Giant said:

Man, I really don’t care for Zimmer, do I??

Yes and that seems to be the problem.  It really grinds my gears when people take this absurdly cynical view of film composers they don't like without taking any of the aspects of the business into account.  It lessens this place. 

I get what you’re saying, TGP, and I will admit that Zimmer is doing what anyone would likely do if given the chance—which is to make hay while the sun shines (or whichever aphorism suits the reader). I admire how much of a name and a business model he has built over the last few decades; he found a niche and expertly filled it. I also give him credit for being generous with his success by giving many of his mentees a launching pad. I just regret that he isn’t more musically talented, is all. 

25 minutes ago, Iron_Giant said:

I get what you’re saying, TGP, and I will admit that Zimmer is doing what anyone would likely do if given the chance—which is to make hay while the sun shines (or whichever aphorism suits the reader). I admire how much of a name and a business model he has built over the last few decades; he found a niche and expertly filled it. I also give him credit for being generous with his success by giving many of his mentees a launching pad. I just regret that he isn’t more musically talented, is all. 

Yeah, it's probably a case of lack of talent as you say, but also of different standards. Some composers, like John Williams, would never be satisfied with something like that FIFA piece.

46 minutes ago, Iron_Giant said:

I just regret that he isn’t more musically talented, is all. 

This is also patently silly.  You simply don't like his music.

23 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Some composers, like John Williams, would never be satisfied with something like that FIFA piece.

Another silly comparison.  Totally different composers with totally different styles, both would be approached to do things in different ways, and in the end, both would have to give the FIFA people what they wanted.

But of course this is the same silliness that's plagued this site for decades now.  Thankfully it is dying out for the most part.