Hans Zimmer Appreciation Thread

Koray Savas

Stick to your chapters, moderator :)

What would you prefer for him, top-billing??

He's hardly in the same league as Grace Kelly

I'll have to get back to you on that -- working 72 hours over the last six days has pretty much robbed me of whatever intelligence I might have had.

Put another way, the needs of the one outweigh the needs of the uh, something.

I'll have to get back to you on that -- working 72 hours over the last six days has pretty much robbed me of whatever intelligence I might have had.

But watch out... here comes Kora. He'll do it for you in six minutes!

Hans Zimmer Appreciation Thread

The only Zimmers scores I own, are The Power of One and K2 (although the U.S version used a different composer)

The former (Power of One), is a long favourite of mine and of my family. An immensly powerful and touching score.

The later (K2), I owned on cassette tape for ages before getting my first CDs.

I got Gladiator later on of course. But these two early Zimmer scores are ones I enjoy a lot.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why that Pirates of the Carribean score is so loved though. :blink:

Most of the music I hear played from it sounds like an endless variation of his "The Battle" from Gladiator :mellow:

Yes it is, as he composed the Spirit Of Africa tracks, not Goldsmith. Don't make me pull out the CD to prove it to you. Congo is a great score, Drax, but Goldsmith is in no way a master of utilizing African vocals. What other scores of his contain them?

A World Apart

The Power Of One

The Lion King

Millennium: Tribal Wisdom And The Modern World

Endurance

The Thin Red Line

Tears Of The Sun

All exceptional scores by Zimmer, except for Endurance, which he produced for Powell.

Yes it is, as he composed the Spirit Of Africa tracks, not Goldsmith. Don't make me pull out the CD to prove it to you. Congo is a great score, Drax, but Goldsmith is in no way a master of utilizing African vocals. What other scores of his contain them?

I see you deliberately ommited any mention of Zimmer.

I mean that it seems to be Lebo M Music when his name is in any score

It is Lebo M's music. He writes his own lyrics and arranges his own vocals, Hans doesn't do that. But Hans utilizes the vocals in his scores perfectly. I can't think of anyone else that integrates vocals into their music better. He does well not just with African vocals, his work with Lisa Gerrard is great too.

Actually she didn't, but that's besides the point. I'm not talking about who composes what, I'm talking about how Hans uses the vocals in his music.

Gerrard doesn't write lyrics, she does vocal expressions. Hans gave her credit on Gladiator because he felt her input was so influential and vital to its success.

are you telling me that there is not a sole track composed entitley by lisa gerrand on gladiator? i thought i had read that.

And i think the film Ali is score by her...alone.

Ali is by her and Pieter Bourke

I never said she doesn't write music, she composed music for Ali, Whale Rider, The Insider, Heat, Layer Cake, and A Thousand Roads.

But for instances with Hans Zimmer, she doesn't write music, she just provides the vocals.

• 1 month later...
Anyone else excited for some awesome Kung Fu Panda later this summer? Can't wait for the Hans/Powell combo score.

In terms of film, I'm sick to death of computer animated animal films (with the exception of Pixar films). They got old after Shrek.

For the score, I'm pretty excited. I love Powell's work on Shrek, I love Zimmer's work on The Lion King, I think they could make wonders together.

It could indeed be a very nice score. It has lots of potential for fun, with the Oriental side, the comedy, and the action that are inherent, they could really make an enjoyable one. Of course, I can think of another recent team-up with loads of potential, and that score didn't come close to it...

EDIT: Oh, and while I certainly enjoy computer animated films, I am very much looking forward to seeing Disney's return to 2D animation (will it still be hand-drawn? I would hope so, as digital animation is very difficult to keep from looking cheap).

Kung Fu Panda looks like crap to me. However, it looks like crap in precisely the same way that Surf's Up looked like crap last summer, and I ended up loving that movie. So I have every intention of giving this one a chance, too.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to the CD store tommorow I think, and I'll consider. There are a couple others that might take a higher priority.

That's bullocks. Goldsmith wrote the damn TUNE, for god's sake. Lebo M was hired on the heels of 'Lion King' to make this very tune commercially more viable (alas, to no avail).

The other Africa-score without Lebo M's participation is 'Ghost and the Darkness' and that shows that Goldsmith could very well handle this by himself.

Red Warrior is a good track also.

This one is on of my favourite from Hans.

About Kung Fu Panda - I listened to it, it has plenty nice moments, but there are also some weaker, unsatisfactory ones.

• 1 month later...

I don't like Dark Knight music (sfx to be more precise) which is presented on an album. I am still looking forward to the movie and I suppose the score will work all right within the context.

• 1 month later...

I learned a couple things about Hans a few days ago.

Elmer Bernstein sent him a letter after Pearl Harbor came out saying great job and that he loved the score.

Klaus Badelt was a cover-up for The Curse Of The Black Pearl because he agreed to not work on anything else while he was doing The Last Sumarai. So, in fact, the entire score is by Hans Zimmer.

So, in fact, the entire score is by Hans Zimmer.

This is not true. Zimmer himself has said that he could not be credited because of his commitment to TLS, but also that he composed the themes. The 15 orchestrators, lead by Klaus Badelt, did in fact compose everything except for the 6 or 8 minutes fo themes Zimmer wrote.

''I wrote the tunes for the first film [even though protégé Klaus Badelt was credited with writing the score]. I didn't want anybody to know I was working on Pirates of the Caribbean because I was also working on The Last Samurai. The day Pirates comes out, Tom Cruise is walking past me and goes, 'Great job on Pirates!' So much for keeping it a secret.''

This little bit about The Last Samurai was also interesting:

''I'm dealing with a culture I have no clue about. I kept endlessly researching Japanese music, and the more I researched it, the more I realized I had no clue about it. I went to Japan to sort of test-drive it — to see if I got it wrong. I played it to a whole bunch of people and they came up to me and said, 'How do you know so much about Japanese music?' So, I should worry maybe a little less.''

''I wrote the tunes for the first film [even though protégé Klaus Badelt was credited with writing the score]. I didn't want anybody to know I was working on Pirates of the Caribbean because I was also working on The Last Samurai. The day Pirates comes out, Tom Cruise is walking past me and goes, 'Great job on Pirates!' So much for keeping it a secret.''

From what is in here, it doesn't tell that he wrote the whole score, but rather the main melodies, the themes... While PotC sounds like a rehash of previous Hans's and Gregson-Williams' ideas, it also has some very distinct Badelt "sounds".

I think that is selective hearing. It is quite obvious to me that by tunes he means themes. I mean, they mean the same thing, in essence. If anything, "themes" means more music than "tunes". I believe that in his soudntrack.net Podcast last year he clarified that the tunes are all his, and that the score is largely based on those tunes, but never that he did more than the few minutes released on the PoTC bonus CD.