Hans Zimmer Appreciation Thread

Koray Savas

5 minutes ago, Once said:

Sky Battle might be the best action pieces in the Potter films post-Williams, in my opinion.

DH1 had some cool moments.  Thankfully Yates put a stop to that by DH2.  

Don't get too excited, this probably means Hansy will be doing a suite with main themes and then handling the actual scoring duties to Rupert and company.

Not it saying it's a bad thing, though.

1 hour ago, Once said:

Sky Battle might be the best action pieces in the Potter films post-Williams, in my opinion.

I like Doyle's Voldemort.  The bit when James and Lilly's ghosts appear is really moving.

6 minutes ago, Michael said:

Don't get too excited, this probably means Hansy will be doing a suite with main themes and then handling the actual scoring duties to Rupert and company.

Not it saying it's a bad thing, though.

Yeah, Rupert has done some really whimsical stuff himself.  Not a bad fit.

There's very few Potter music post-Williams that i care to listen to on its own. Both Doyle and Desplat shine mostly in non-action moments of fleeting melodic inspiration but it's slim reward for all the stuff you hava to wade through.

I think Doyle's score tended to sound like it was written for a silent film. It still contains some very good moments, in my opinion.

Sky Battle has fleeting moments that reminds me of Empire Strikes Back.

21 minutes ago, Once said:

I think Doyle's score tended to sound like it was written for a silent film.

That's a good way to put it.  I'm not really a fan of Doyle's action scoring in GOF to be honest.  The heavy footed wall-of-sound approach makes me long for Williams' sixteenth notes and rapid-fire xylophone hits.  

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Doyle's score is brilliant!

Only in a way sledgehammer is brilliant for sculpting in comparison with the fine tuned work of a hammer and chisel.

I kid, I kid. Doyle's alright in my book.

But shouldn't we be talking about the brilliance of Hans Zimmer in this thread?

Good heavens that is 6 years ago. KK was something like 14 at the time.

Good grief BloodBoal, can't believe you dug that up! What will it take to finally quench your everlasting thirst to keep shaming me?!

I didn't even bother reading through that likely cringeworthy crap. But like Incanus just wisely pointed out, I was around 13 at the time and Gladiator was the second official OST I owned. And yes, I was an early Zimmer fanboy then, since he was the guy who got me started into the whole "collecting film music" schtick. So please forgive the naive gushing you've put on display here.

Having said that, I still stand by the fact that Gladiator is a good score, and that CC's review was pretty off-the-mark in this case.

So you got into film music because of Zimmer and you are actually admitting it?

The foundation of your hobby are rotten! A sapling grown from seeds as black as ash, giving birth to an unwholesome shrub, full of brambles and thornes!

Lol reading through it now, I really do sound like a troll, don't I? Or worse...a spambot. All that caps lock...

- KK, desperately trying to see if he can delete all his ancient Filmtracks posts before BB gets to them...

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

So you got into film music because of Zimmer and you are actually admitting it?

The foundation of your hobby are rotten! A sapling grown from seeds as black as ash, giving birth to an unwholesome shrub, full of brambles and thornes!

I've admitted it here many times! The Da Vinci Code was my first OST. "Chevaliers de Sangreal" was the cue that got me into collecting.

• 1 month later...

1i1bFPUHp+AAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

The page on hans-zimmer.com for a Zimmer compilation album.  So.  Much.  Hans.

Not a whole lot of interest on the album itself, but "The Fruit Machine Suite" is really interesting.

I seem to remember The Burning Bush theme was inspired by the work of a classical composer, but I can't remember exactly. Anyone care to help me out? 

Mind you, this isn't to diminish Hansy's work on what is probably one of his most remarkable achievements in his film music carreer, hell, maybe even in film music history. 

But I'm curious about possible influences.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Work closer with the studios rather than just slapping the first element they get onto disc?

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

Work closer with the studios rather than just slapping the first element they get onto disc?

Indeed.

What a great release. The samples sound wonderful. I'm relieved I managed to sell off my Perseverance CD a couple of years ago, since it's now basically worthless.