Schindler's List 4CD Recording Sessions

tharpdevenport

I've been listening to Williams for 30 years ,

Is that so? That's makes two of us...

I GOT THAT BEAT, I got that beat, Mary Ellen Moffet, she broke my.....

Oh sorry, I mean I've been listening for at least 43years.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I meant is that I probably spent as many hours listening to Williams as you have .I am guessing on this forum ,we have the most Williams listening hours of everyone.

I hardly think so... I'm sure that there are many, even in this boards that have a much larger knowledge of John Williams than any of us two, and many more listening hours too...

Well,it's one thing to be in music school and studied Williams orchestrations for a few years ,it's another to have been listening to his scores continually for decades.

For example,that is why I am confident about what I think about CoS.And the people that tell me otherwise also confuse a stock piece of modern trailer music for something Williams might have written

Miguel, no one to date has shown more knowledge of Williams music than you, its ok if you pat yourself on the back there, you wouldn't be bragging, its just the way it is. I can boast that I seem to have been listening longer than anyone else here yet my knowledge of his music is woefully underdeveloped compared to many.

I've been listening for 31 years I tell ya, 31 years.

Young children today think they can listen for 5 years and know it all. Them whippersnappers don't know anythin.

31 years I tells ya.

amatuers, amatuers all of ya, and some of you are pretenders too.

Yes, that's the one. Those are the covers that came with the CDs, only with the cues codes. If you check the thread, you'll notice that both I and John Takis have been trying to assign cue titles to the tracks, based on the original manuscript score.

I'm also working on new covers for this.

I'm making covers for the 'complete score' :fouetaa:

EDIT: which orchestras played the score?

I thought it was the Boston Pops, then i saw in the CD that it was Boston Symphony, when i saw they were only with Perlman's Solos, and then i saw that the music was recorded both in Culver City and Boston, so a LA orchestra must have been used...

More questions,

Are they known the dates of the recording sessions? I dont need exact date for each cue only a period x-xx.5.1993 or something. At least Month and year.

mmm i was making the cover layout, and i thought that typewriter font would be nice, then i made a layout like the list.

And then i made a 'list' with the music credits.

I started to have mixed feelings, specially of the credits part, is it disrrespectful?. What do you think, right or wrong? :(

SchindlersListcompleteback.jpg

I'm also doing some covers, and I'll post them soon.

I won't list the track names of the covers, but will create a proper booklet.

Also, and with the exception of the poster cover art, all the design will be sort of abstract, not relying on pictures from the film.

By the way Manuel, if you had read the whole thread you might have noticed that the guitar theme is called "The Perlman Family" in the original manuscript score.

the tracklist is duplicated and roughly done, just filling space.

I was just saving time doing the layout now and then putting the final track titles when i have them.

BTW, I had already put the perman family on disc one.

:lol:

By the way Manuel, if you had read the whole thread you might have noticed that the guitar theme is called "The Perlman Family" in the original manuscript score.

the tracklist is duplicated and roughly done, just filling space.

I was just saving time doing the layout now and then putting the final track titles when i have them.

BTW, I had already put the perman family on disc one.

;)

Hey what a great idea taking the design of the list.. looking forward to the finished covers :lol:

although it seems to be a little macabre actuallly writing the names (John Williams..) in that style......

Hey what a great idea taking the design of the list.. looking forward to the finished covers :)

although it seems to be a little macabre actuallly writing the names (John Williams..) in that style......

That's why i'm not sure about it...

It would fit much better if used for the recording sessions, with all those numbers (1m3....) and the take number. And many " (commas) since there are many repeated tracknames.

the 1m2,1m3,2m4....etc, what are they called? Reel name, Cue...?

They're slate numbers, generally too they accompany a reel and each slate number is a scene from each reel. I'm sure someone here can explain it better in more detail.

I was looking for the ochestras that played in the movie (if it was other than the BSO) and i found on imbd that Sam Sanders in the accompainment pianist.

Was Williams the pianist in the end credits and Sanders in the rest of the score then?

This is just my opinion, but...

Utilizing or incorporating the list somehow = Acceptable

Modifying or copying the style of the list to create album credits or track titles = Poor taste

Anyone is free to disagree, but that's how I feel about it.

Modifying or copying the style of the list to create album credits or track titles = Poor taste

I agree with you, John.

Dumb question what do you mean by that?

Well, like adding John Williams' name to the list and highlighting it or something like that. Or what Luke did. No offense intended to Luke, but he clearly felt at least somewhat uncomfortable with it, and I think he was right to.

I agree with you, John.

Miguel you could have stated you opinion days ago, i valorate your opinions very high, and since you didnt said anything i even started to think it was right! (i even thought about puting the labels in German... :beerchug: )

I feel filthy now...

i'll remake it, using just typewriter font without any list layout.

thanks for the help :lol:

I agree with you, John.

Miguel you could have stated you opinion days ago, i valorate your opinions very high, and since you didnt said anything i even started to think it was right! (i even thought about puting the labels in German... :thumbup: )

I feel filthy now...

i'll remake it, using just typewriter font without any list layout.

thanks for the help :)

I apologize for that, Manuel.

Please use the Private Message function for this type of announcements.

i am so sorry about it....because i don't know the rules,and i had deleted it :jump:

However, I'm working on a film/OST breakdown of the takes, and I know John Takis also is. Expect that in a day or two.

Any luck with this, incidentally?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From an April 16th, 2008 post at MySpace.com from a composer.

Last night John Williams told us a little story about the time he sat alone in a private screening room with Steven Spielberg watching "Schindler's List" for the first time. The plan was to view the film so they could talk about ideas for how to score it afterwards. He said he was so moved by the film that he could hardly speak when it was over. Eventually he said "Steven, this is a truly magnificent film. I really feel that you need to have it scored by a better composer than I am." Spielberg answered "Yes, but unfortunately they are all dead."

Henry, would it be possible to provide the editing cue list minus 'Schindler workforce' that, i think, is the piece you are struggling with?

BTW, isnt the OST version of schindler's Workforce the finished edit? If it is, that would be the one i would use for the complete - expanded score.

I want to finish the covers and burn it on CD ROTFLMAO

• 1 month later...

Well, I think this is how the album version of "Schindler's Workforce" goes:

2m3-3m1 rev tk63

at 1:44 2m3-3m1 tk36 (orig) 3:10-3:55

at 2:29 3m1 tk40 (new) 1:48-3:10

at 3:51 3m1 tk38-39 3:34-end

at 4:19 3m1B tk42 2:35-7:00

at 7:53 3m1B tk41 7:00-7:56

at 8:39 3m1B tk42 7:56-end

Every take features many variations in orchestration, so there are tons of "alternative" cues. It's so confusing that I've just included every single take on my edit of the set without an attempt to edit them together. But for the longest version:

2m3-3m1 rev

mix on final note 2m3-3m1 tk36 (orig)

mix on final note 3m1B tk41 or tk42

The album track "Schindler's Workforce" is made up of parts of "The Money Exchange" and "Recruiting." I believe it matches the film edit of "The Money Exchange," but it shortens "Recruiting." So the easiest thing to do might be to use the album version of "The Money Exchange" and the complete score version of "Recruiting."

Here's my track list.

Disc 1:

01 Hebrew Prayer note: DVD rip, and if anybody knows the name of this prayer let me know

02 Por una Cabeza (Carlos Gardel, arr. Angela Morley) 1m3 tk94

03 Jealousy (J. Gade, arr. Angela Morley) 1m6 tk58

04 Nazi March Beat 2m2B tk112

05 The Money Exchange / Recruiting various takes

06 Gloomy Sunday (Sam Lewis and Rezso Seress, arr. John Neufeld) 4m2 tk97

07 Deine Augen Sind Dein Herz (arr. Angela Morley) 4m4 tk77 (actually 4m3)

08 In einen Kleinen Café in Hernals (Herman Leopoldi, arr. Angela Morley) 4m3 tk84 (actually 4m4) - beginning is a little cut off so consider using a different take

09 Stolen Memories OST t9 0:00-3:04

10 OYF'N Pripetshok and Nacht Aktion

11 The Perlman Family OST t9 3:04-end

12 Miłość ci wszystko wybaczy (Henryk Wars. 'Oldlen' J. Tuwim) vocal version - 12m1A tk102

13 Immolation (With Our Lives, We Give Life)

14 Making the List

15 Give Me Your Names OST t11 0:00-2:14, get clean ending from 16m2 tk117

16 Auschwitz-Birkenau

17 The Returning Women OST t11 2:14, get clean beginning from 18m1 tk32

18 I Could Have Got More tk9 0:00-2:15, fade out and mix in insert tk123, then fade in tk9 4:40-end and mix at end of tk123

19 Yeroushalaim Chel Zahav (Jerusalem of Gold) *

20 Theme from Schindler's List

21 Remembrances OST t4

22 Theme from Schindler's List (Reprise) album + either take of the piano overlay extension

Disc 2 (concert pieces, unused and alternatives):

01 Remembrances (with Itzhak Perlman)

02 Jewish Town (Krakow Ghetto - Winter '41)

03 Por una Cabeza (first take) different orchestration, but not too nice a listen because the violin completely screws up at one point

04 Jealousy (second take) larger orchestration

05 The Money Exchange take 36 (original)

06 The Money Exchange take 37 (new)

07 The Money Exchange take 38-39

08 The Money Exchange take 40 (new)

09 The Money Exchange revised take 63

10 The Money Exchange revised take 64

11 Recruiting take 41

12 Recruiting take 42

13 Schindler's Workforce (Album Version)

14 The Perlman Family (Alternative) 10m1 any take

15 Miłość ci wszystko wybaczy (Instrumental) 12m1A any take

16 I Could Have Got More (Alternative) i.e. album version

17 Yeroushalaim Chel Zahav (Jerusalem of Gold) (Album Version)

18 Remembrances (Alternative) End Credits 20m4 tk71

19 Theme from Schindler's List (Recorder) either take

I didn't include the instrumental version of "Immolation" ("The Burial Scene"). It's just the same thing but without the choral overlays. I guess if you included it it would go between 15 Miłość ci wszystko wybaczy (Instrumental) and 16 I Could Have Got More (Alternative).

* I've also made an interesting discovery. The film version of "Yeroushalaim Chel Zahav (Jerusalem of Gold)," which adds accompaniment to the chorus, is apparently a licensed recording which is also available on the soundtrack Pour Sacha by Philippe Sarde. Unfortunately, it's out of print and expensive. I'll try to track it down and add it to the set, though, because it's really nice music. I haven't been able to find the film version of "OYF'N Pripetshok" anywhere, so it's possible the piano accompaniment was devised by Williams or his orchestrators (and recorded in Chicago) rather than licensed.

Thanks Mr. Buck!

Working on the mix and covers now ;)

Henry, could it be possible to post the takes you chose?

I'm very bad at spotting differences in orchestration, or noticing wrong notes.

It's just the same thing but without the choral overlays. I guess if you included it it would go between 15 Miłość ci wszystko wybaczy (Instrumental) and 16 I Could Have Got More (Alternative).

All I did was add this choirless cue (the third take) and the recorder bit to the OST . That's my expanded SL Album

It's just the same thing but without the choral overlays. I guess if you included it it would go between 15 Miłość ci wszystko wybaczy (Instrumental) and 16 I Could Have Got More (Alternative).

All I did was add this choirless cue (the third take) and the recorder bit to the OST . That's my expanded SL Album

You ought to at least include the alternative "I Could Have Done More" insert. That's a really nice cue (nicer if edited into the full cue, but it's tricky to do). There's also some unreleased music in "Recruiting" and "End Credits Piano Overlay" (an extension at the end with the Remembrances theme).

Luke, I've updated the track list with take numbers where possible.