The OFFICIAL Indy IV Score Thread

chinaismine

I'm sure most people love, or at least like, TLC the score.

Joe is clearly the exception...

Well the vast majority of Crusade haters (and they do exist for some reason I've never been able to fathom) won't even have an opinion on the score for a kick off.

The only bad thing I can say about TLC is the amount of great music that was left off the OST.

But that's no reason to HATE the score!

Gee, it isn't? Really?

C'mon, the guy doesn't have a single bad message board bone in his body. He ALWAYS means well. Is the sarcasm really that necessary in this instance?

Methinks Josh had enough of a verbal beating for one week.

It's truly beyond me how someone can dismiss The Last Crusade score as being awful. It's one hell of an achievement.

And I agree with Manuel, the combination of Belly of the Steel Beast and The Pen is Mightier than the Sword owes nothing to Desert Chase (although Desert Chase is a much better cinematic sequence)

I know what you mean. But RotLA is a masterpiece. Not even TLC can touch that!

Masterpiece and classic. Untouchable. Still I stick to my opinion on TLC :D BTW too many polls lately though I love them XD!

Edit : German Sub/To the nazi hideout. Brilliant rendition of raiders march

Off-Topic : Found indy figs today!!! AWESOME!!!

well I do have the complete 2 disc Kira Nyres version of the TLC score.

I don't hate the score, I just think that it is clearly not equal to Raiders (anyone who says it is, is crazy), and its clearly not equal to TOD, its a 2-1/2 star out of 4 score. It has its moments, and it has some parts that are just weak.

Sorry that I am not allowed to have the opinion that everything about Last Crusade is 3rd best, but it is, and thats how I feel.

(Sorry if I offend anyone:D)

NEVER apologise for having an opinion which may differ from the accepted norm. NEVER and especially in this online hive of scum and villainy.

Sorry that I am not allowed to have the opinion that everything about Last Crusade is 3rd best, but it is.

Of course it is 3rd best,but it doesn't suck as you often imply

I don't hate the score, I just think that it is clearly not equal to Raiders (anyone who says it is, is crazy), and its clearly not equal to TOD, its a 2-1/2 star out of 4 score. It has its moments, and it has some parts that are just weak.

Sorry that I am not allowed to have the opinion that everything about Last Crusade is 3rd best, but it is, and thats how I feel.

Raiders and TOD have weak parts.

And the short version of Dessert chase has very noticeable edits.

(Sorry if I offend anyone:D)

NEVER apologise for having an opinion which may differ from the accepted norm. NEVER and especially in this online hive of scum and villainy.

(Breathing heavily) Yes, Master (Walking of with the Imperial March!)

3RD BEST!! NOOOOO!! LC is just a perfection of raiders, whereas temple of doom is a step outside the series imo.

I always have a very hard choosing a favorite Indy score. The quality is so consisted throughout and they are all so diverse among themselves.

I always have a very hard choosing a favorite Indy score. The quality is so consisted throughout and they are all so diverse among themselves.

Exactly! So maybe you DO love them all equally.

Does anybody love all three scores equally? I'm for one do, now that I come to think of it!

If there were complete versions I'd probably would. No wait I'd love LC a tad more that the other 2. I mean the complete tank chase track (Pen is mightier than the sword) is just awesome, Best indy track ever!

I wouldn't mind to wait for the End Credits until the DVD release, because it'd mean more music released in the end. But I won't mind it being on the album either. I think that a finale of 9:20 minutes could provide plenty of closure to the album even without an end credits suite. Similar to how the end of "The Battle/The Triumph" of Cutthroat Island also leads up to a great finale that might have served as closure to the OST. However, the presence of the end credits suite on that album is most welcome anyway, simply because it's brilliant. I hope that if the end credits for KotCS are indeed part of the "Finale" track, it'll also be a great new end title suite and not a cut-and-paste job like part of the PoA "Mischief Managed!" track.

I wouldn't mind to wait for the End Credits until the DVD release, because it'd mean more music released in the end. But I won't mind it being on the album either. I think that a finale of 9:20 minutes could provide plenty of closure to the album even without an end credits suite. Similar to how the end of "The Battle/The Triumph" of Cutthroat Island also leads up to a great finale that might have served as closure to the OST. However, the presence of the end credits suite on that album is most welcome anyway, simply because it's brilliant. I hope that if the end credits for KotCS are indeed part of the "Finale" track, it'll also be a great new end title suite and not a cut-and-paste job like part of the PoA "Mischief Managed!" track.

I'm grateful JW DID compose the first few minutes of MM!!! That's clearly the highlight of the entire score (and Buckbeak's Flight, maybe).

Does anybody love all three scores equally? I'm for one do, now that I come to think of it!
Me. I always like the one to best that I'm listening to at the moment. But I do have a general opinion about the scores when I'm not listening to them, but it changes every now and then. I used to prefer Last Crusade originally, then it was RotLA. Now I really like ToD. But all are pretty much equal and very worthy 5-star scores as far as I'm concerned.

I don't hate the score(LC), I just think that it is clearly not equal to Raiders (anyone who says it is, is crazy)

Thank God I'm not crazy by your standards then.

...its clearly not equal to TOD

I think it is. Sure, it doesn't have that Golden Age JW sound that ToD was lucky enough to be of the age to harness, but Crusade more than makes up for it by having the very tangible mystical element in it's music which goes before what a great Indy film should be in the first place. I won't even mention the theme I'm talking about since that should be obvious. Behind the scenes, that one theme is partly responsible for why Crusade is considered the stronger sequel where Doom is considered the weakest.

I know what you mean. But RotLA is a masterpiece. Not even TLC can touch that!

I think I feel a poll coming on...

I feel something coming on, but it ain't no poll...

GOTTA DANCE! GOTTA DANCE!

Raiders and TOD have weak parts.

And the short version of Dessert chase has very noticeable edits.

no luke the long version of Desert Chase has noticable edits, the short version flows well.

Raiders is like Star Wars, and Jaws, as close to a perfect film as you can get, and like Superman the Movie, and ET as close to perfect entertainment as you can get.

Exactly! So maybe you DO love them all equally.

It's really hard to dismiss one of them in favor of another. As I said, the overall quality is just too consisted. Probably the most consisted film series in terms of musical quality.

Hmmm, that's funny when you think about it, because as far as the movies themselves are concerned it's not so consistent.

Hmmm, that's funny when you think about it, because as far as the movies themselves are concerned it's not so consistent.

Probably not, but average quality is still very very high. KOTCS has tough standards to live up to.

To cover a few subjects brought up;

It's possible the Jungle Chase doesn't require wall to wall scoring. As Joe mentioned somewhere, perhaps the music kicks in later in the chase much like the mine car sequence in TOD.

Last Crusade is the weakest sounding of the three in terms of sound. It sounds like it was performed by a much smaller orchestra at times compared to the first two scores.

I like Belly of the Steel Beast as heard in the film.

Hmmm, but only for certain cues/tracks!!!

I think Indy's Very First Adventure, Escape from Venice, and Scherzo sound pretty good...

Last Crusade is the weakest sounding of the three in terms of sound. It sounds like it was performed by a much smaller orchestra at times compared to the first two scores.

Yes, and compare the performance of the Raiders March to that of RotLA.

0067.jpg

I'm listening now the Pen is Mightier than the Sword. Albeit the awful sound quality from the boot, this is such a powehouse cue. And those last 30 seconds are just amazing.

thats one thing I won't argue with anyone about because I don't here much difference, unless its a ripped portion of music.

Yep, that is my one and only beef with the score in general. I don't think anyone (even Josh!) would argue with that.

Having said that, the way the Raiders March from LC sounds on that Lego website says a lot for the performance vs recording argument (hang on, is there one?). It sounds a damn site better than it ever did on thst site than it ever did on cd or in the film.

EDIT: Josh responded before I submitted this post and further proved his insatiable JW fandom beyond the ninth gate.

I'm listening now the Pen is Mightier than the Sword. Albeit the awful sound quality from the boot, this is such a powehouse cue. And those last 30 seconds are just amazing.

Damn! Do you have to brag?

I wonder how many people here own TLC bootleg...

In my opinion TOD is the best score out of the three Indy films.

If you look carefully you realize that the most original music and the most themes and motives are in that soundtrack, in comparison to the others. I mean you get three new and fully developed main themes, tons of different motives (Pankot Palace, Mola Ram, Mine Car, Water Motif, Indian Mystery Motif, British Fanfare,...) and the newinterpretation of anything goes as well as the great cue for the Temple of Doom itself. So in terms of thematical richness it even surpasses LC as well as RotLA.

I would also call TOD my favourite Indy Film, because its just 110 minutes pure dark fun and excitement. It's the perfect adventure for me. Of course the other two Indy Films are also great and have terrific Scores by our John Williams :D

In terms of KotCS Soundtrack i think we all can be lucky to get such a large OST album, which is not alway the case (*pointing on TOD*)

Well, having 77 minutes of music on the OS might mean that we won't get the Complete Edition for a very very very long time!

But I'm being pessimistic.

If you look carefully you realize that the most original music and the most themes and motives are in that soundtrack, in comparison to the others. I mean you get three new and fully developed main themes, tons of different motives (Pankot Palace, Mola Ram, Mine Car, Water Motif, Indian Mystery Motif, British Fanfare,...) and the newinterpretation of anything goes as well as the great cue for the Temple of Doom itself. So in terms of thematical richness it even surpasses LC as well as RotLA.

So the quality of a score is determined by the number of leitmotives it features?

Mind, I can't find any fault with the incredible Temple of Doom; I just question your criterion.

I would also call TOD my favourite Indy Film, because its just 110 minutes pure dark fun and excitement. It's the perfect adventure for me. Of course the other two Indy Films are also great and have terrific Scores by our John Williams :D

I can totally appreciate where you're coming from and I almost agree with you, but hey, I just prefer Raiders and Crusade.

What can one do when the standard is so consistently high? Let's hope Skull doesn't let the side down.

Well, having 77 minutes of music on the OS might mean that we won't get the Complete Edition for a very very very long time!

I'd rather have 77 minutes now than hoping for a miracle later .At least it means Concord is not messing around trying to short change us

I'd rather have no End Credits as we could rip them from the DVD,but since the album is still very long I won't complain.

I'd rather have 77 minutes now than hoping for a miracle later .At least it means Concord is not messing around trying to short change us

I'd rather have no End Credits as we could rip them from the DVD,but since the album is still very long I won't complain.

said by the man who wishes Anything goes wasn't on the TOD soundtrack, yet went nuts over a JW arrangement of the Star Spangle Banner.

You are an enigma KM

I want the End Credits on the album, it completes it

KM is not alone in wishing Anything Goes wasn't on the Doom soundtrack. Given the circumstances of that album, I would have excised that song for any one of the brilliant score cues not included.

Ted

I would never wish it off the album Ted not with John's fantastic arrangement at the beginning.

I don't think I could do without "Anything Goes." Apart from that incredible intro, it completely sets the tone for the film, both in its extravagance and lyrical observation (Anything Goes pretty much sums up TOD so much it could be an alternate title). I just love it to death.

So the quality of a score is determined by the number of leitmotives it features?

Mind, I can't find any fault with the incredible Temple of Doom; I just question your criterion.

Of course that's not the only criteria for me, but usually the themes and motifes of John Williams are very very good. That's the case in TOD and in almost all his other score i know ( i dont know his scores earlier than Star Wars 4). So the more themes and motives he composes for a score the better is the score for me in the end ( that also means you have a better developed underscore with themes and motives, more original material and usually more effort put into the score)

Just look at WotW for example. It lacks its themes and doesn't work that well as a score because the memorability isn't given through the music anymore, just through the film. I do know that not all movies require memorable music but as a listening experience it's more fun with it than without.

Another example would be AOTC. Just one new full developed beautiful Theme and three recurring motives occur (Kamino, Confederation, Arena). That's few for a Star Wars Film. Imagine if JW composed a fett theme, which would score the fight between Jango and Obi Wan or if he used an action motive instead of underscore for the Zam Wessel Chase.

I hope you understand my point.

I don't think I could do without "Anything Goes." Apart from that incredible intro, it completely sets the tone for the film, both in its extravagance and lyrical observation (Anything Goes pretty much sums up TOD so much it could be an alternate title). I just love it to death.

exactly, it may be Cole Porter but John makes it his own.

What?! Anything Goes is one of the most all-out entertaining tracks from ANY Indy score full stop*.

Bad form!

*'Full Stop' is the English equivalent of 'Period'.