The OFFICIAL Indy IV Score Thread

chinaismine

and for anyone interested.. here is the skull theme orchestrated

Hey guys.. I just found the Skull ARK Theme Connection!!!!

therefore I changed the chords of the skull theme now it doesnt sound as much as a ghosthouse... but at the end I added two bars with my new harmony that might fit very well with the bass line.. and what theme do you hear?? :)

That sounded a sh#tload like the Ark theme. Was just listening to ROTLA prior to this. Very interesting.

Hmmmm.....

No one's perfect.

Almost no one.

Yesno one.. exept the one who edited the horn part out of BOTH to make it a ringtone!

It's just a substandard Williams theme.

it is not even a theme I'll call it a motiv just a bunch of notes..written in the doric church scale.. d e f g a h c d... zimmer does it all the time.. but John Williams is able to orchestrate this simple tune zimmer isnt! no wait Conrad Pope is able to do that.. williams isnt

Personally I don't think Williams went back to his so-called "80's sound" for this score. It's a fact that a composer can never "go back" in compositional terms, but he always have to go forward. I'm sure he did the right thing for the movie and that it will be an exciting work full of great things. And I'm sure I will not be disappointed :)

Yeah same here. Why would he go back to his old "80's sound" back into the 80s? His modern sound that hear in the 21th Century or today is better. Esepecially his work on Revenge of the Sith.

Now someone take the midi theme and develop it in what he/she thinks John Williams will do with it!

while I appreciate the effort someone goes to to make a midi, I refuse to listen as they sound terrible.

In that case (as it is for me), it doesnt make any difference. I listen to the MIDI to satisfy my uncontrollable curiosity, and come away with a bit of a 'meh' feeling but still confident that JW can pull it off. I remember the Sayuri's theme MIDI which got posted up here last time, and I honestly didn't like it....until I heard it on CD

Personally I don't think Williams went back to his so-called "80's sound" for this score. It's a fact that a composer can never "go back" in compositional terms, but he always have to go forward. I'm sure he did the right thing for the movie and that it will be an exciting work full of great things. And I'm sure I will not be disappointed :)

Yeah same here. Why would he go back to his old "80's sound" back into the 80s? His modern sound that hear in the 21th Century or today is better. Esepecially his work on Revenge of the Sith.

no, his recent work is not better than his 74 to 84 period, thats just completely untrue. Opinion, Fact, whatever its still right.

MissPadmé your new rendition of the Crystal Skull theme sounds awesome :folder: It is just like a classic horror film theme. This score is going to a fantastic one (not that I had any doubts before)!

Thanks to all involved for the midi's :folder: , the Irina's theme with chords goes perfectly with the new tv spot of Irina interrogating Indy, the Crystal theme with chords goes well with the glasses being magnetized to the Roswell box in the teaser.

The 21th Century? :folder:

Don't you mean the 21st Century?

Sorry yeah I mean't the 21st Century...Just a typo mistake.

So the excitement level seems to be nearing fever pitch.

I for one really enjoy "Irina's Theme", and the little motif for the Crystal Skull, although I suspect the French site actually got the bass line wrong...

It makes a lot more sense if one were to reverse the tritones (and it would bring it closer to the Ark theme).

Since I'm an all pen&paper guy, and not very savvy with posting pdf links, I will take the jazzier route, and offer my chords, bar by bar (more or less):

(Sorry, this won't make much sense to non-musicians)

Am - Fmin6/A - Am - F7#11/A - Bbmin/A (Bbminmaj7/D; second half of measure) - Gb#9#11/Bb (Gb; second half of measure) - Ebmin9 - Dmaj (beats one and two; melody C#) Fmin (last two beats; melody C natural)

Then repeat!

(And by the way, I've opted to read the theme in bass clef, as it makes no sense in treble clef)

Come on, folks. we Can do better than this. Less than three weeks, and not a single clip of the score?? What happened to all the crack shots 'round here?

Ted

If one track of the score SHOULD leak, are you gonna listen to it right away? Or wait for the official release?

Temptation to big. No way I could wait for an official release.

What about the music in the trailer? KM pointed out some chords similar to BOTH. Is it Williams and if where is "GoodMusician's Complete Trailer Disc Set" ;)

How long is it (new music material)? Didn't get the chance to watch the trailer...

I just re-read the French review of the OST, and noticed something. Here's the quote:

"Based on an inverted and slightly retouched version of the Ark theme that makes an appearance in track 6 (the Crystal Skull: arpeggio, D natural, natural to the higher octave – the Ark: D sharp, D natural, natural to the lower octave), Call of the Crystal is probably the most subtle leitmotif of all the saga, and drowns the episode progressively in the ambiance of pure nightmare."

Does this mean the Ark theme will be making an appearance on the album? I can't tell based on the wording.

Ted

Amazon.com has posted soundclips of Harry Gregson-Williams' Prince Caspian score, due to be released on 5/13. Does this mean that the KOTS clips are coming soon? It sure seems that once the track titles surface again, so will some 30-second clips. Here's hoping.

Ted

From my translation:

"Based on an inverted and slightly retouched version of the Ark theme, theme that makes an apparition in track 6"

or in the original french

"thème de l’Arche, thème qui fait d’ailleurs une apparition remarquée en piste 6"

so it pretty much confirms it

I hope this is true. I'd love to hear what Williams would do with that theme today, even if it's just one quote. It's also nice to know that Marion's theme will be so prominent. I wonder what other motifs and sub-themes will be in this score.

Ted

The discovery theme from "In the Idol's Temple" and "The Map Room" would be very welcome.

Hmmm, we don't want too much reused music, do we? There has to be room for all the good new stuff, as well!

I agree with Henry. This film seems to deal a lot of in temples and secret caves, much like Raiders. I would love to hear a freshly orchestrated version of both the discovery motif and the whip motif from Raiders, since it would seem fitting.

Ted

will there be usage of the "its a snake" theme

or

"time to put on the hat theme" or the "indy scouls theme", or the "indy's getting his gear theme", or my favorite the "indy whinces in pain theme".

I hope it's better than the first one. I didn't get an orchestral feel out of it. Ironically, the most exciting thing I heard in those clips was an electric cello. HGW staple, though he seems to have used it less of late...love the sound of it.

Amazon.com has posted soundclips of Harry Gregson-Williams' Prince Caspian score,

4 f*cking songs again. pathetic.

Actually, the "Lucy" song sounds interesting, both musically and with respect to a knowledge of the books. It sounds like it fits more into it, like the LOTR songs, although I certainly won't cast a final judgment on 30 seconds. It would be nice if they'd at least let him start the end credits with underscore, though.

I hope it's better than the first one. I didn't get an orchestral feel out of it. Ironically, the most exciting thing I heard in those clips was an electric cello. HGW staple, though he seems to have used it less of late...love the sound of it.

Indeed. Those parts are some of my favorite from the first movie.

Nice to hear some of the old themes returning. I just hope he keeps it fresh as well.

Yes, I hope it doesn't take the path of the Shrek sequels. From a recent interview with HGW, it seemed like he was taking a fresh approach.

But, uh, back to Indy...

Is that what I hear coming in at 0:32 of "Eating Alone" from Shrek? If so, I love the sound of it.

Amazon.com has posted soundclips of Harry Gregson-Williams' Prince Caspian score,

4 f*cking songs again. pathetic.

Actually, the "Lucy" song sounds interesting, both musically and with respect to a knowledge of the books. It sounds like it fits more into it, like the LOTR songs, although I certainly won't cast a final judgment on 30 seconds. It would be nice if they'd at least let him start the end credits with underscore, though.

yeah is may be composed by HGW, like the last song on the other narnia film, that was unused and was the shorter of the lot (2 minutes) :lol:

Is that what I hear coming in at 0:32 of "Eating Alone" from Shrek? If so, I love the sound of it.

I think that's an actual cello.

Gear up guys...Indy 4 samples are coming!

You betta back up that statement with evidence!

Only then i'll believe ya.