City of Prague PO Harry Potter recordings

MSM

Are there more people except me who do like some of the tracks on the Harry Potter music collection 2CD by the Prague Philharmonic Orchestra better than the original recordings?

I think the overall JW tracks are more lackluster, out of tempo than the original ones. However some tracks e.g. the Double Trouble and Knight Bus versions are crisp and even more dramatic than the more 'sterile' OST ones. And the Doyle and Hooper tracks even are slightly more effective on this cd.

Please post your opinions.

I like quite a bit of it as well. They did quite good on the important tracks, A Bridge to the Past and Double Trouble. I don't think Knight Bus is bad either. You can easily spot a difference between the earliest recorded Potter pieces and the later ones though. That's good, it definitely shows that they're evolving.

I like quite a bit of it as well. They did quite good on the important tracks, A Bridge to the Past and Double Trouble. I don't think Knight Bus is bad either. You can easily spot a difference between the earliest recorded Potter pieces and the later ones though. That's good, it definitely shows that they're evolving.

"The Knight Bus" really is awful. The orchestra is barely keeping the beat.

Yeah but what I was trying to say it could be worse - at least, I was expecting worse. I have a concert recording by the one of the best classical orchestras here in Belgium and they already have much trouble playing it.

"The Knight Bus" really is awful. The orchestra is barely keeping the beat.

But I like the must more 'real' orchestral sound, there are witty orchestrationals things that have been mixed down in the OST.

Like that ridiculous screaming effect? I'm not hearing it. This is just a sloppy, sloppy performance of a difficult piece best left to top-tier musicians.

Like that ridiculous screaming effect? I'm not hearing it. This is just a sloppy, sloppy performance of a difficult piece best left to top-tier musicians.

No I mean the conventional instruments. It sounds more like a jazz combo than the OST, which sounds more like a MIDI file.

• 10 years later...

As part of my JW concert arrangement album project, I just forced myself to listen to and include the POA suite by this accident of an orchestra. I'm just wondering, does the Signature Eidition really require the choir to repeat the lyrics from the first stanza twice? It seems weird that 'in the cauldron boil and bake' was discarded. Can I also add that I'd like to boil and bake this CD now?

12 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

As part of my JW concert arrangement album project, I just forced myself to listen to and include the POA suite by this accident of an orchestra. I'm just wondering, does the Signature Eidition really require the choir to repeat the lyrics from the first stanza twice? It seems weird that 'in the cauldron boil and bake' was discarded. Can I also add that I'd like to boil and bake this CD now?

Oh don't lambast the orchestra entirely for some of their compilation work since they have shown how great they actually are on dozens of wonderful complete score reconstructions and re-recordings. Their compilation work is such a bundle of hit-or-miss though, sadly often on the miss side. Perhaps it is because of short rehearsal periods, bad arrangements or some other extenuating circumstances.

I keep hearing people who claim their re-constructions are good, but all the compilations I've heard from them are consistently, as you say, hit and miss. Say what you want, you do NOT release Mischief Managed the way they did it. No excuse. You either play Williams the way he wrote it or you don't.

10 minutes ago, Holko said:

What they do with Tadlow and Prometheus is reference quality.

Agreed.

20 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I keep hearing people who claim their re-constructions are good, but all the compilations I've heard from them are consistently, as you say, hit and miss. Say what you want, you do NOT release Mischief Managed the way they did it. No excuse. You either play Williams the way he wrote it or you don't.

Yes in all honesty some of their re-recordings of these individual pieces are atrocious. 

45 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Oh don't lambast the orchestra entirely for some of their compilation work since they have shown how great they actually are on dozens of wonderful complete score reconstructions and re-recordings. Their compilation work is such a bundle of hit-or-miss though, sadly often on the miss side. Perhaps it is because of short rehearsal periods, bad arrangements or some other extenuating circumstances.

The problem is not the orchestra, but the cheapo label Silva Screen.

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The problem is not the orchestra, but the cheapo label Silva Screen.

Although they have the same producer, James Fitzpatrick.

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

Although they have the same producer, James Fitzpatrick.

Give a producer different amounts of time and they will produce different results.

Some of their re-recordings are excellent and some... aren't.

On 4/24/2008 at 5:20 PM, fommes said:

Yeah but what I was trying to say it could be worse - at least, I was expecting worse. I have a concert recording by the one of the best classical orchestras here in Belgium and they already have double trouble playing it.

Fixed!