Grand Theft Auto IV

Koray Savas

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my favorite moments from college was playing Grand Theft Auto II on the college network, multiplayer with the guys on my dorm floor. That game was only in the top down view, and as you sped up, the camera zoomed out to show you more of what was around you, so you could anticipate what was nearby. GTA III actually could be toggled from first person view to top down, but there was really no point.

Anyways, GTA2 multiplayer had arrows that pointed to where your opponents were. There were no missions or plot, it was deathmatch, pure and simple. I had been playing the game nonstop, and I knew exactly where the two tanks were in the first city. The screams I heard, cursing my name, from down the hall, as I drove the tank on a beeline towards them, shooting their cars, driving over their cars...they were some of the proudest moments of my college online gaming experience. Great times. At least, until we all knew where the tanks were, then it wasn't that much fun anymore, and it was back to Half-Life 1 and Starcraft.

I'm waiting for GTA IV to come out on either the PC (my primary gaming machine) or the Wii (bought for Force Unleashed). GTAIV looks fantastic. Sandbox style games like this are great. Provided your grip on reality is firm enough.

Koray,

I got my PS3 copy of it today as well. It is... well.... okay. I never really liked the series all that much, but I have to say that graphically speaking, it looks great. Gameplay, the little that i have played, was fun.

I'd love to hit you up on a multiplayer bit. Lets test this PS3 live system! ;)

Got it got for 360 yesterday and so far it's been great. The new cover system takes a while to get used to, but I see it being very useful in the fantastic mutiplayer once mastered. The scope of the whole thing is simply mindbending, it took my breath away when I first flew a helicopter around The Empire State Building, the city really does feels like a living breathing world.

The mindless violence is still the best aspect of it though. I love walking into the road in front of an oncoming vehicle, making the disgruntled female driver stop, drawing my pistol and watching her crap herself, putting her hands up in the air. BANG! Blood all over the windscreen! Her head rests on the noisy horn, just like the movies! Sometimes though they roll out of the car still alive and try to crawl away... until I pop a cap in the back of the head. Blood spurts everywhere. It's a bit of a mess!

Makes me want to go out and do it for real.

I'm waiting for the PC version.

I play Vice City and San Andreas a lot, although most of the time it's just driving like a maniac and blowing things up. Then there's spawning a helicopter... the discovery of which made several evenings go by very quickly indeed.

I wonder why dont they make a game like this where you are a police man or a superhero.

I think Superman Returns and i know Spiderman 3 tried, but the large enviroments and things you can do open-sided has not the same quality.

Koray,

I got my PS3 copy of it today as well. It is... well.... okay. I never really liked the series all that much, but I have to say that graphically speaking, it looks great. Gameplay, the little that i have played, was fun.

I'd love to hit you up on a multiplayer bit. Lets test this PS3 live system! :blink:

sure, PM you're online name and I'll friend you.

Does it? because you think you can only kill someone with a weapon, rather than being a real man and using only your hands?

Or are you just talking b/s?

Does it? because you think you can only kill someone with a weapon, rather than being a real man and using only your hands?

Or are you just talking b/s?

Basically, I feel like going to a shopping mall and raining death. Simply as a result of playing this game.

I went out to dinner with my son last night and spent almost 2 hours listening to him ramble on and on about how to play Grand Theft Auto IV.

Indeed. It is probably the most engaging and replayable game there is.

I had fun with some prostitutes yesterday. I recommend the $70 Special, very good! The $50 Special is decent, and the $20 is O.K.

Doesn't matter in the end because I get my money back via vehicular manslaughter.

I haven't played the GTA games much, but I really enjoyed Saints Row, so I wanna get GTA IV soon, as I know it's much more expansive and involving.

I haven't played the GTA games much, but I really enjoyed Saints Row, so I wanna get GTA IV soon, as I know it's much more expansive and involving.

GTAIV is so revamped that Saints Row is more GTA-ish than GTAIV...:)

My Xbox is still broken and sitting on my kitchen table, but I did get to play the game this weekend. It quite possibly is the greatest game ever made.

My Xbox is still broken and sitting on my kitchen table, but I did get to play the game this weekend. It quite possibly is the greatest game ever made.

Sure, until the next one comes along. I was surpised that Gamespot gave it a 10.0. When Grand Theft Auto VII comes out for the Playstation VI, then you'll say that will be the greatest game ever made.

I've come to the conclusion that GTA IV is actually the worst one in the series. It definitely doesn't deserve IGN's perfect 10 rating.

Grand Theft Auto III: First for the next generation systems, enhanced gameplay, blew people away, and nothing beats escaping from the cops in slow motion while listening to Double Cleff (opera channel).

Vice City: New location, improvement in maps, way bigger. Added motorcycles, helicopters, and boats. Ray Liotta as the main character. Modeled after Scarface.

San Andreas: The best of them all. Insanely huge area. Added planes, swimming, skills, respect, actual bodily functions, bicycles. Large array of weapons and cheats and plenty of replay value.

Grand Theft Auto IV: Excellent story and engaging missions. However, giving up most of the best features from the previous games for realism. In other words, it's a huge downgrade.

Is anyone else having some difficulty with the combat? I absolutely despise the auto targeting system...its the main cause of me dying when things get hectic. Why couldn't they just have copied the combat off Saints Row (where its just like any other 3rd person shooter ala Max Payne)?

Burga - who does not understand a single word Little Jacob says.

Yeah, it was a little confusing at first. But just hold down the trigger half-way to free aim, holding it down all the way is auto aim. I gave up on auto-aim and just get a lot of head shots free aiming with my desert eagle.

Koray - who also does not understand a single word Little Jacob says.

Yea but its still somewhat clunky and nowhere near as elegant as a simple straightforward approach would have been. Doesn't help that Niko handles like a truck. I started GTAIV just as I finished Saints Row so I'm really feeling it.

I just did. Thanks for the tip. How did it turn out? Well, it was way better for close to medium range combat but beyond that, its much easier with the autotargeting as with that you just have to move the right analog stick to nail a headshot at unbelieveable distance with a pistol. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally gave in and bought another Xbox (your welcome Microsoft) and I'm playing the game now. Don't be surprised if I'm gone for awhile.