The 2nd OFFICIAL Indy IV Thread

Here's a couple of things that really stuck out to me when watching Indy 4 again:

The Good:

- Acting (Cate Blanchett, Shia LaBoeuf, Harrison Ford were fantastic; everybody else was good)

- Cinematography (The lighting went from horrifying in Peru, to beautiful in Akator, and everything else. There was great use of shadows, especially when Indy put his hat on and when you could see his shadow in the tent)

- Music (Ants!, Jungle Chase, Whirl Through Academe, Finale, Adventures of Mutt, Irina's Theme, Call of the Crystal, Temple Ruins and the Secret Revealed, Journey to Akator, Snake Pit, The Departure)

- Action (Jungle Chase, Motorcycle Chase, Warehouse Escape, Ants Scene)

- Humor (Very funny!)

- Dialogue (With only a couple of exceptions. I just realized the irony of Mac's line "What can I say, Jonesy. I'm a capitalist, and they (the Communists) pay." I love how the film wasn't afraid to use dialouge that seems cheesy by today's standards, that really is what seperates Indy dialouge from the rest)

- Pacing

- Stunts (almost all of them were not reliant on CGI, and a lot of them didn't use stunt men)

- Homages (there's the obvious ones, but also some others--I always thought that when Mutt turns, about to be shot with the dart, it looks incredibly similiar to Indy turning, about to be crushed by a giant bolder in Raiders)

- Storyline (This one took a risk by not being religion-based, but it worked magnificently)

- SFX (Well, the good ones, especially the Departure. Absolutely stunning.)

- Traditions (the map with the red line, the creepy crawlers, several hat gags, etc)

- Style (Very faithful to the originals)

- MacGuffin (Very strong)

- Sets (They were outstanding, especially the throne room and the giant door)

- Costumes/Makeup (Especially Blanchett's)

The Bad:

- The stunts should have been more Indy-centered (especially the Jungle Chase)

- "Somewhere your grandfather's laughing."

- CGI (used too much, especially in the Jungle Chase. The only thing I dislike about Mutt swinging on vines is the amount of CGI used.)

- An underdeveloped family story.

Neutral (it doesn't hurt the film at all, but something I would do different):

- The CGI gophers.

- "Hound Dog" (it works brilliantly in the film, but I would have liked a new JW main title cue)

So, I watched the DVD last night with family who hadn't seen the movie yet. The first comment after the movie began?

"That's not how you start an Indiana Jones movie!"

(In reference to Hound Dog and the hot rod - no problems with the prairie dogs.)

Did they have a problem with an Indiana Jones film starting with a giant dance number?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a couple of things that really stuck out to me when watching Indy 4 again:

The Bad:

- Acting (Cate Blanchett, Shia LaBoeuf, Harrison Ford were fantastic; everybody else was good)

- Cinematography (The lighting went from horrifying in Peru, to beautiful in Akator, and everything else. There was great use of shadows, especially when Indy put his hat on and when you could see his shadow in the tent)

- Music (Ants!, Jungle Chase, Whirl Through Academe, Finale, Adventures of Mutt, Irina's Theme, Call of the Crystal, Temple Ruins and the Secret Revealed, Journey to Akator, Snake Pit, The Departure)

- Humor (Very funny!)

- Dialogue (With only a couple of exceptions. I just realized the irony of Mac's line "What can I say, Jonesy. I'm a capitalist, and they (the Communists) pay." I love how the film wasn't afraid to use dialouge that seems cheesy by today's standards, that really is what seperates Indy dialouge from the rest)

- Pacing

- Stunts (almost all of them were not reliant on CGI, and a lot of them didn't use stunt men)

- Homages (there's the obvious ones, but also some others--I always thought that when Mutt turns, about to be shot with the dart, it looks incredibly similiar to Indy turning, about to be crushed by a giant bolder in Raiders)

- Storyline (This one took a risk by not being religion-based, but it worked magnificently)

- Traditions (the map with the red line, the creepy crawlers, several hat gags, etc)

- CGI (used too much, especially in the Jungle Chase. The only thing I dislike about Mutt swinging on vines is the amount of CGI used.)

- The CGI gophers.

- "Hound Dog" (it works brilliantly in the film, but I would have liked a new JW main title cue)

Yeah, I totally agree!

The Bad:

- Humor (Very funny!)

- Pacing

- The CGI gophers.

Yeah, I totally agree!

20021213l.jpg

Koray originally wrote "EDIT: Red beat me to it. Damn!"

So I said "Red?" for clarification, because clearly you did not type the above post.

Ah, okay. Don't know why Savas had me on the brain. ;)

Koray originally wrote "EDIT: Red beat me to it. Damn!"

So I said "Red?" for clarification, because clearly you did not type the above post.

Ah, okay. Don't know why Savas had me on the brain. ;)

He was going to say Henry...but there was only one problem.

It wasn't you, honey.

:lol:

Well after penning a horrible screenplay for Indy IV, it seems Koepp has redeemed himself, some might say. :)

His new directorial effort starring Ricky Gervais appears to be going down very well.

Annoyingly, I'd like to see this: http://uk.rottentomatoes.com/m/1190970-ghost_town/

So, I watched the DVD last night with family who hadn't seen the movie yet. The first comment after the movie began?

(In reference to Hound Dog and the hot rod - no problems with the prairie dogs.)

Did they have a problem with an Indiana Jones film starting with a giant dance number?

We don't really watch Doom, so... I guess that's one reason why. I don't really mind it though. The song's grown on me.

Still...

And no one really had a "problem" with Hound Dog (we in the real world don't take perceived cinematic missteps as personal insults :)). It was just an offhand comment that I thought was hilarious in light of everything I've read here and elsewhere.

I loved the notion of a drag race beginning the film. The prairie dogs idea was terrible, however. It felt like a parody. That one moment along sums up the movie in so many ways -- self-conscious, strained nostalgia. Having said that, I'm unafraid to say that I still enjoy the movie in spite of my issues with it. There really were some inspired bits in it; it just lacks that cohesive energy that characterized the first two films. In my view, it was on par with "Last Crusade," and nowhere near "Raiders" and "Temple."

Ted

We don't really watch Doom, so... I guess that's one reason why. I don't really mind it though. The song's grown on me.

Still...

And no one really had a "problem" with Hound Dog (we in the real world don't take perceived cinematic missteps as personal insults ;)). It was just an offhand comment that I thought was hilarious in light of everything I've read here and elsewhere.

;):lol: I see.

The prairie dogs idea was terrible, however. It felt like a parody.

The only problem I have with the prarie dogs is the CGI, I don't mind the references made throughout the opening sequence to them.

That one moment along sums up the movie in so many ways -- self-conscious, strained nostalgia.

I disagree. When I first saw the trailers, I was expecting this film to be more of a walk through memories, an injection of nostalgia, what with them reusing Marion, and from the "not as easy as it used to be" line. But after watching the film, it is apparent that while many parts are clear homages to the earlier films (eg the Ark cameo), I think this stands by itself as an Indiana Jones adventure. It does not act purely as a homage to the first three films, it has a life all to itself.

In a sense, I was expecting to see Indiana Jones 4 when I walked in the theatre, but I was pleasantly surprised to see Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

• 2 months later...

As somebody who genuinely liked Kingdom of the Crystal Skull -- warts and all -- I'd be happy to see Spielberg make another one.

But does anyone genuinely think his heart would be in it? His heart doesn't seem to have been in the fourth one, and look how that one turned out (with much of the audience disappointed).

I think Spielberg is at his best when his heart is in it, and I'd rather see him restrict himself to those types of projects rather than blatant cash-grabs like Indiana Jones. Here's hoping his heart is in Tintin.

I'd love an Indiana Jones 5. Indy IV is not the way the series should end.

I think, if George Lucas leaves his less-than-impressive "aliens" ideas alone for a possible next film

and they allow the next fil to go back to proper mythical artifacts as Harrison and Steven wanted in the first place (I believe),

the movie might turn out a whooole lot better.

We've had the "aliens" now. Let's now do what Indiana Jones SHOULD be.

I do like Indiana Jones IV quite a bit and am thankful that it ended up better than that "Saucer Men from Mars" story would likely have been.

However, a new Indiana Jones film can easily be much better than either "Saucer Men from Mars" or "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull".

I understand what George wanted, he wanted to have a mcguffin (god I hate that word) that is fgresh to the Indy series, and goes into a dif. direction, instead of doing some warming up of the beloved standard. But AGAIN:

I think the McGuffin wasn not Indy 4's main problem! It was the overall balancing of the plot and many underdeveloped elemts, it just seems it wasn't finished. Maybe it was because Ford said, "Do it now or go f*** yourselfes!"

I agree that Indy IV had many more problems than just the McGuffin.

But the idea of "aliens" in an Indiana Jones movie was flawed to begin with.

I can understand the reasoning behind it, but it just isn't Indiana Jones.

But indeed even with the concept of aliens and the general story outline of KotCS,

it could still have been much better than it was.

he is not really vehemently saying 'NOT'

in fact, it could be some marketing scheme to not draw attention. :)

After all in the OT the movies were released 3-4 years between, not like starwars that has been 2 years

I would see Indy V, and in all likelihood, I'd at least enjoy it a little. Raiders of the Lost Ark still hasn't received a worthy sequel to this day, which is something I'd like to see happen, but I get such a kick out of the Indy universe that I can even enjoy films like KOTCS. So yeah, I'm with Nick Parker...either way works for me.

Really guys, Spielberg statement is ambiguous. As s most sequel news, they dont say YES or NOT, they leave it in the air, if the possibility arises.

Spielberg may be just saying that he wants to do Lincoln, Tin tin and interstellar now, and who knows after that? By then, maybe GL has already found a Mcguffin (as he has reported to be doing - but the man is full of sh...lies sometimes) and Ford is still in shape and healthy, and he also reported interest and that GL was looking for a relic.

So neither hold your breaths nor relax and exhale.

After all the last one took 20 years to be made, but it was made (when eveyone thought they would not do any more).

And well Steven maybe is reluctant after the last one receivement, so maybe next time, he will hold the reins more tightly and we wont have Gophers, monkeys and beaten groins...

Really guys, Spielberg statement is ambiguous. As s most sequel news, they dont say YES or NOT, they leave it in the air, if the possibility arises.

Spielberg may be just saying that he wants to do Lincoln, Tin tin and interstellar now, and who knows after that? By then, maybe GL has already found a Mcguffin (as he has reported to be doing - but the man is full of sh...lies sometimes) and Ford is still in shape and healthy, and he also reported interest and that GL was looking for a relic.

So neither hold your breaths nor relax and exhale.

After all the last one took 20 years to be made, but it was made (when eveyone thought they would not do any more).

And well Steven maybe is reluctant after the last one receivement, so maybe next time, he will hold the reins more tightly and we wont have Gophers, monkeys and beaten groins...

I dunno, the vibe I get from all the KOTCS interviews with Spielberg is that his heart really wasn't in it (and I think it shows in the movie too), he had fun and he got Indy out of his system by making another one, but I don't think he's too happy with the final product and it seems that Lucas and Ford pushed him to do it. So I think it's going to be difficult for Spielberg to agree to Indy 5, specially if Lucas gets stubborn again and "won't do it without aliens" or some other new crap.

I don't know if Speilberg's heart was in it or not, but I do think the film would have been more enjoyable if Lucas hadn't been involved.

- Datameister, who found himself happily grinning through most of the film nonetheless.

It's pretty clear this was hardly a personal project for Spielberg from the interviews on the KotCS DVD. He basically agreed to a lot of things Lucas suggested because he never thought the film would get made anyway. "Aliens? Sure. Fine. Whatever."

It's pretty clear the reason Indy 4 was extremely subpar in comparison to the OT is because Steven's heart wasn't in it. There's no reason to think he'd have his heart in a fifth movie, either. Sad, yes, but such is life. It's a well trodden formula nowadays; let the man do something fresh.

I'm quite willing to believe that Steven Spielberg could come up with a good Indy V if he wouldn't be forced to put too many stupidness in there.

I'm also willing to believe that a lot of the stupidness (ALIENS in an Indiana Jones movie, for crying out loud!) were ideas from George Lucas.

And that's coming from somebody who, on the whole, does like George Lucas' work, including the Star Wars Prequel trilogy.

But there's no denying that his work ever since Return of the Jedi has been lacking to various extents.

And the idea of aliens in an Indiana Jones movie is just plain wrong as far as I'm concerned.

I remember in the "Making Of" on the original DVD releases they said that Indiana Jones was

pretty much the opposite of Star Wars and was supposed to have no modern technology whatsoever.

So much for that then... :devil:

• 7 months later...