The 2nd OFFICIAL Indy IV Thread

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So IndianaJones.com has posted a pretty significant story synopsis... I regret reading it. Spoilers:

The newest Indiana Jones adventure begins in the desert Southwest in 1957 - the height of the Cold War. Indy and his sidekick Mac (Ray Winstone) have barely escaped a close scrape with nefarious Soviet agent on a remote airfield.

Now, Professor Jones has returned home to Marshall College - only to find things have gone from bad to worse. His close friend and dean of the college (Jim Broadbent) explains that Indy's recent activities have made him the object of suspicion, and that the government has put pressure on the university to fire him. On his way out of town, Indiana meets rebellious young Mutt (Shia LaBeouf), who carries both a grudge and a proposition for the adventurous archaeologist: If he'll help Mutt on a mission with deeply personal stakes, Indy could very well make one of the most spectacular archaeological finds in history - the Crystal Skull of Akator, a legendary object of fascination, superstition and fear.

But as Indy and Mutt set out for the most remote corners of Peru - a land of ancient tombs, forgotten explorers and a rumored city of gold - they quickly realize they are not alone in their search. The Soviet agents are also hot on the trail of the Crystal Skull. Chief among them is icy cold, devastatingly beautiful Irina Spalko (Cate Blanchett), whose elite military unit is scouring the globe for the eerie Crystal Skull, which they believe can help the Soviets dominate the world... if they can unlock its secrets.

Indy and Mutt must find a way to evade the ruthless Soviets, follow an impenetrable trail of mystery, grapple with enemies and friends of questionable motives, and , above all, stop the powerful Crystal Skull from falling into the deadliest of hands.

I think that was posted several weeks ago.

Re: Blade Runner, yes that is the story. But I do not think Ford would intentionally sound bad and hurt his performance and the movie just because he didn't agree with it. He probably didn't deliver it with much optimism, but the badness of the voiceover cannot and should not be attributed to that. In retrospect, it's easy for Ford to say those things because he doesn't want anyone to think his voiceover was bad because he's just not good at them.

I disagree, I think he is good at it, and I think the v/o in BLADE RUNNER works, despite being pretty poorly written, because of Ford's laconic I-don't-give-a-eff tone. But he's always said bluntly that he did it that way so they wouldn't have to use it.

Honestly, he sounds like he's telling his kids in class, or the standard exposition bit, and like you said, has been chopped up, but I love it and it works so well as an introduction to the trailer. To me he still sounds exactly like Indiana Jones.

That's a spectacular trailer.

But who's the guy who does the bad-taste jokes on the trailer music again? Making the Raiders March synchronical with those alarm bleeps, really disgusting.

Btw I don't like Ford's voice. What did he do to his voice that it sounds so old?

Umm, HE GOT OLD!!!

True, but normally voices don't change that much over time until people get really old.

Ummm, Ford IS really old!

:lol:

is this the usual IMDB crap, or does Ian Mcdiarmid actually have a role in Indy?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001519/

I don't think that has been properly officially confirmed as of yet. When that was (supposedly) posted on indianajones.com, it also said on that page that

John Hurt is playing Abner Ravenwood

. That is officially confirmed to be not true. That also makes me doubt whatever else was on that page. It has also been proven that it's really easy to fake such a screenshot. I'm not saying it isn't true, but I'm not believing it until I see some sort of official announcement.

Maybe Letterman wasn't joking!

Maybe they really DID make Indiana Jones and the Revenge of the Cyst! :lol:

As usual for Letterman, Conan said it better, and a long time ago.

Well the ian McDiarmid's character was from the young indy chronicles...

We havent see Jim Broadbent in any trailer yet, he must have a minor role.

McDiarmid does not appear in the poster credits, while Broadbent does. So an even lesser role i suppose.

But then, Temuera Morrison was not credited on AOTC either.

One thing i noticed in the latest TV spot is that we are not getting the paramount logo transforming onto something real.

I think that it will morph into the Lucasfilm logo with the mount in a map the background.

This lucasfilm logo was not used on the other movies because it was not yet created, was it?

The original SW movies and willow neither didnt used it at their 1st release

One thing i noticed in the latest TV spot is that we are not getting the paramount logo transforming onto something real.

I think that it will morph into the Lucasfilm logo with the mount in a map the background.

This lucasfilm logo was not used on the other movies because it was not yet created, was it?

Do you make stuff up or do you honestly believe yourself?

What makes you think the movie won't begin with the Paramount Logo morphing into a real mountain?

The trailer is not going to show the whole movie.

KOTCS has it's work cut out for it.

Iron Man made $100 million + opening weekend.

Can Ford and Co. do the same?

What makes you think the movie won't begin with the Paramount Logo morphing into a real mountain?

Two facts:

The Lucasfilm Logo in the Prequel Trailers is the same as in the movies.

The map with a Paramount mountain has already been used twice, in the 1st trailer and now in this TV spot.

Then:

The Lucasfilm logo used in the SW SEs and prequels has been indy customized. I dont think they are making it and then in the movie put 'lucasfilm' with the font of the other credits like in the other movies. If this new Lucasfilm logo COMES RIGHT after the Paramount logo (like it did after the 20th Century FOX logo), how in the hell is the paramount logo going to morph into actual footage?

Its a silly matter, but i'm not 'crazy'

Luke, the film will begin with the Paramount mountain morphing into the first scene of the movie, bank on it.

The Lucasfilm logo used in the SW SEs and prequels has been indy customized. I dont think they are making it and then in the movie put 'lucasfilm' with the font of the other credits like in the other movies. If this new Lucasfilm logo COMES RIGHT after the Paramount logo (like it did after the 20th Century FOX logo), how in the hell is the paramount logo going to morph into actual footage?

Its a silly matter, but i'm not 'crazy'

Very easy.. the simply have to fade in a mountain that has the shape of the Lucasfilm Logo!! How about that!? ;)

The STAR WARS movies have always had "A Lucasfilm Ltd Production" after the studio logo. The Indy movies have NEVER had this. If they follow tradition, it will be the same.

And the trailer means nothing. The original RAIDERS trailer had exactly the same Lucasfilm title card as the original SW trilogy in it (only in yellow), yet nothing in the film. I imagine if Lucasfilm really need a card, it'll be following the end credits.

Luke, the film will begin with the Paramount mountain morphing into the first scene of the movie, bank on it.

Well, the paramount mountain behind the Lucasfilm logo, at least.

BTW the trend of modern movies is putting loads of logos in the beggining. Spielberg's included.

I wonder if they'll use the retro Paramount logos from the 80's, instead of the sparkling new CGI one used nowadays? I hope they do...

Credits are way too long these days.

Exactly. I'm POSITIVE this movie's gonna start with a shot of a mountain like all the others!

Iron Man made $100 million + opening weekend.

Can Ford and Co. do the same?

How embarrassing would it be if "Sex and the City" beat "Indiana Jones" in box office gross?

Read THIS article!

Sex and the City won't even make $100million

I wonder if they'll use the retro Paramount logos from the 80's, instead of the sparkling new CGI one used nowadays? I hope they do...

I don't see why not. Fincher used it in ZODIAC. Lucas seems to do whatever he wants with the Fox logo as well.

Yeah, it will. But I don't see how it could possibly be good.

no it won't, its never been popular with the masses, just the critics.

Once in syndication its only been moderately successful there.

Really? Just about every person of the female persuasion in my life loves it.

Sex and the City was (or is) a cult hit!

It only appeals to certain type of people, i.e. women, and not all women, at that. Only certain types of women!

It's not like Indiana Jones who appeals to the masses.

That comment is actually very insightful. Funny how that works. Male-centric movies are for the masses. Female-centric movies are for... certain types of females.

Ted

TV shows don't always draw the huge numbers people think once they hit the big screen.

I remember all the hype leading up to the X-Files movie and how big the box office was gonna be due to all the "fans" the show had.

It's domestic box office was only $84 million.

Look at Star Trek, only 1 film went over $100 million and that was a film that could appeal to almost everyone.

I always wondered what was the target audience for Sex in the City

I will stay as far away from it as possible.

TV shows don't always draw the huge numbers people think once they hit the big screen.

I remember all the hype leading up to the X-Files movie and how big the box office was gonna be due to all the "fans" the show had.

It's domestic box office was only $84 million.

Look at Star Trek, only 1 film went over $100 million and that was a film that could appeal to almost everyone.

you anticipated my response.

Joe, who finally saw the XFiles movie for the first time Saturday night, it was at best a 2part mediocre episode.

Maybe the word 'S E X' in the title makes the difference and will generate bigger audience :D If this is the case, they should have retitled the movie into "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of Sex".

That comment is actually very insightful. Funny how that works. Male-centric movies are for the masses. Female-centric movies are for... certain types of females.

Ted

That's exactly what I was NOT saying! Indiana Jones appeals to the masses . . . meaning it appeals to men AND women.

Ted

That's exactly what I was NOT saying! Indiana Jones appeals to the masses . . . meaning it appeals to men AND women.

You missed Ted's point. Why doesn't Sex and the City "appeal to the masses," too?

Ted

You missed Ted's point. Why doesn't Sex in the City "appeal to the masses," too?

It doesn't appeal to the masses because the sex scenes (and talks) are too graphic. In fact, because of that they had problems airing it in syndication. It's not family-oriented, that's why. What family with kids is going to watch Carrie complaining about not getting shtupped enough?

Ted

You missed Ted's point. Why doesn't Sex in the City "appeal to the masses," too?

It doesn't appeal to the masses because the sex scenes (and talks) are too graphic. In fact, because of that they had problems airing it in syndication. It's not family-oriented, that's why. What family with kids is going to watch Carrie complaining about not getting shtupped enough?

You're deviating from your previous definition of appeals to the masses, which was "appeals to men AND women." So, again, I ask you, why does Indy appeal to the masses but not Sex and the City?

Ted

You're deviating from your previous definition of appeals to the masses, which was "appeals to men AND women." So, again, I ask you, why does Indy appeal to the masses but not Sex in the City?

The reason I just stated. Indiana Jones is family-oriented (meaning fun for the whole family). Sex and the City is NOT!

Dunno, what do you want to hear?

To be honest, there's nothing in there that hasn't already been broached with the usual R-rated comedies that are around. Look at THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY, that was an R-rated comedy that showed manfat on screen and made nearly $200m for its trouble. There's nothing really taboo in S&TC that hasn't been shown before.

My wife watches it religiously, and I have to admit, the couple of times when I've seen it, it has made me laugh. But I'll probably go to see it because she puts up with a lot of stuff I show her (and likes it), and I think it might get a big audience from boyfriends/husbands being dragged to it by their significant others. But I figure it's the least I can do after subjecting her to I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE.

Dunno, what do you want to hear?

Never mind. I was trying to get us to explore what Ted was saying about "male-centric" and "female-centric" movies in Hollywood, but I don't think we're getting anywhere. I do agree with your point that most people would probably deem Indiana Jones more family-friendly than Sex and the City.

EDIT: Sorry about continually using in instead of an. Mental hiccup or something.

Did I just hear Mutt say to Dr Jones "C'mon Gramps"?

maybe he doesn't know.

But that's good when you can get great end credit suites like ID4 or Cloverfield. Unfortunately most of them turn out to be randomly strung together rehash (PoA, I'm looking at you).

But that's good when you can get great end credit suites like ID4 or Cloverfield. Unfortunately most of them turn out to be randomly strung together rehash (PoA, I'm looking at you).

I prefer POA to the music at the end of cloverfield, and ID4 which I like but not excessively so.

Still remember how Jaws ended, its endtitles are under two minutes. The end credits of KOTCS are very long, I've never seen so many names mentioned for makeup, its seems longer than those for special effects.

I don't see why not. Fincher used it in ZODIAC. Lucas seems to do whatever he wants with the Fox logo as well.

He did? Interesting...

Yeah, it's no wonder Williams's end credits cue is over seventeen minutes long!

In the movie it doesn't have to be that long of course. It may be just like in RotS, where a significant portion of the end credits suite was missing in the movie.

AOTC was the last time I remember a full on suite written and arranged specially for the end credits. Unfortunately, it ultimately wasn't used for whatever reason.