Indiana Jones Unreleased Music Resource

Henry B

Updated with speculative track lists. This is only my best guess at how to edit the music based on the Soundtracks Collection track titles. Of course, I don't have track times, file names or anything specific about the KotCS DVD yet. I also included the two major source cues as an option, but obviously many of you will choose not to use them. Any suggestions? Obviously my intent here is to be as accurate as possible.

Concord = Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection, released by Concord Records in 2008. Five discs. Raiders of the Lost Ark and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (denoted by OST) also available separately.

boot = Raiders of the Lost Ark and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade complete/expanded score bootlegs. No uniform order.

DVD = Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Special Edition DVD/Blu-ray release. Two discs.

Raiders of the Lost Ark Complete Score Disc 1

1. In the Jungle - Concord d1 t1

2. The Idol Temple - Concord d1 t2

3. Escape from the Temple - Concord d1 t3

4. Flight from Peru - Concord d1 t4

5. Washington Men / Indy's Home - Concord d1 t5

6. A Thought for Marion / To Nepal - Concord d1 t6

7. The Medallion - Concord d1 t7

8. Flight to Cairo - Concord d1 t8

9. The Basket Game - Concord d1 t9

10. Bad Dates - Concord d1 t10

11. The Map Room / Dawn - Concord d1 t11

12. Reunion in the Tent / Searching for the Well - Concord d1 t12

13. The Well of the Souls - Concord d1 t13

14. Uncovering the Ark - Concord d5 t3

Raiders of the Lost Ark Complete Score Disc 1

1. Indy Rides the Statue - Concord d1 t14

2. The Mummy Cave - boot

3. The Fist Fight / The Flying Wing - Concord d1 t15

4. Desert Chase - Concord d1 t16

5. Marion's Theme / The Crate - Concord d1 t17

6. The German Sub - Concord d1 t18

7. Ride to the Nazi Hideout - Concord d1 t19

8. Indy Follows the Ark - Concord d1 t20

9. The Miracle of the Ark - Concord d1 t21

10. Washington Ending & Raiders March - Concord d1 t22

11. In the Temple (insert) - boot

12. Indy Rides the Statue (alternative) - boot

13. Raiders March (album version) - Concord d5 t1

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom Expanded Score Disc 1

1. Anything Goes - Concord d2 t1

2. Indy Negotiates - Concord d2 t2

3. The Nightclub Brawl - Concord d2 t3

4. Fast Streets of Shanghai - Concord d2 t4

5. Map/Out of Fuel - Concord d2 t5

6. Slalom on Mt. Humol - Concord d2 t6

7. Indy and the Villagers - Concord d5 t4

8. Short Round's Theme - Concord d2 t7

9. The Scroll/To Pankot Palace - Concord d2 t8

10. Nocturnal Activities - Concord d2 t9

11. Secret Passage - Concord d5 t5

12. Bug Tunnel/Death Trap - Concord d2 t10

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom Expanded Score Disc 2

1. Approaching the Stones - Concord d2 t11

2. Children in Chains - Concord d2 t12

3. The Temple of Doom - Concord d2 t13

4. Short Round Escapes - Concord d2 t14

5. Saving Willie - Concord d2 t15

6. Slave Children's Crusade - Concord d2 t16

7. Short Round Helps - Concord d2 t17

8. The Mine Car Chase - Concord d2 t18

9 Water! - Concord d2 t19

10. The Sword Trick - Concord d2 t20

11. The Broken Bridge/British Relief - Concord d2 t21

12. Return to the Village/End Credits - Concord d5 t12

13. End Credits (album version) - Concord d2 t22

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade Expanded Score Disc 1

1. Indy's First Adventure - Concord d3 t1

2. On the Boat - Concord d3 t2

3. Packet from Dad - boot

4. Inscription on the Rock - boot

5. Father's Study - Concord d5 t6

6. X Marks the Spot - Concord d3 t3

7. The Catacombs - boot

8. Ah, Rats!!! - Concord d3 t4

9. Escape from Venice - Concord d3 t5

10. Journey to Austria - Concord d3 t6

11. Searching for Dr. Jones - boot

12. Father and Son Reunited - Concord d3 t7

13. Don't Call Me "Junior"! - boot

14. Elsa's Betrayal - boot

14. Iskenderum (Diegetic Music) - boot

15. Escape in the Truck - Concord d5 t7a

16. The Austrian Way - Concord d3 t8

17. Alarm! - Concord d3 t10

18. Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra - Concord d3 t9

19. Blasphemy / The Road to Berlin - Concord d5 t7b

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade Expanded Score Disc 2

1. To the Blimp - Concord d5 t8

2. No Ticket - Concord d3 t11

3. The Blimp Turns Around - Concord d5 t9

4. Keeping Up with the Jones - Concord d3 t12

5. Brother of the Cruciform Sword - Concord d3 t13

6. Death of Kasim - Concord d5 t10

7. The Other Jones - boot

8. Belly of the Steel Beast

Concord d3 t15 beg-2:24

Concord d3 t14

Concord d3 t15 2:24-end

8. Canyon of the Crescent Moon - Concord d3 t16

10. Papa Jones Shot - boot

11. The Penitent Man Will Pass - Concord d3 t17

12. The Keeper of the Grail - Concord d3 t18

13. Wrong Choice, Right Choice - Concord d5 t11

14. Finale & End Credits - Concord d3 t19

15. Don't Call Me "Junior"! (alternative) - boot

16. The Birds of Charlemagne (alternative) - boot

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Expanded Score Disc 1

1. Raiders March - OST t1

2. Call of the Crystal - OST t2

3. The Adventures of Mutt - OST t3

4. Irina's Theme - OST t4

5. Houng Dog (Elvis Presley) - available on RCA Victor

6. The Spell of the Skull - OST t6

7. Warehouse Escape - DVD d2 Pre-visualization sequence

8. Shake Rattle and Roll (Billy Haley and His Comets) - available on MCA Records

9. A Whirl Through Academe - OST t8

10. The Journey to Akator - OST t7

11. Oxley's Dilemna - OST t15 0:00-2:15

12. Grave Robbers - OST t12 0:00-0:56

13. Secret Doors and Scorpions - OST t14

14. Orellana's Cradle - OST t11

15. "Return" - OST t9

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Expanded Score Disc 2

1. Automatic Writing - DVD d1 menu

2. The Snake Pit - OST t5

3. The Jungle Chase - DVD d2 Pre-Visualization sequence + OST t10

4. Ants! - OST t16

5. The Temple Ruins - OST t15 2:14-end

6. Ancient Protectors - OST t12 0:56-end

7. Temple Entrance - OST t13 2:40-end

8. The Throne Chamber - OST t17 0:00-2:17

9. The Gift - OST t13 0:00-2:40

10. The Secret Revealed - OST t17 2:17-end

11. The Departure - OST t18

12. Finale - OST t19

Henry -- who can't believe his old thread was coincidentally bumped two minutes before he was going to bump it himself

Do any of you know where I can get good version of "You're a Sweet Little Headache" form Last Crusade? I have one that sounds pretty good but it is hard to tell if it the same one used in the film. Incase some of you don't know what I am talking about this is the music Elsa is playing when Indy enters her room.

not sure the LC boot cues are worthy of inclusion

Inscription on the Rock is decent, and the boot is still missing a bit of The Catacombs. Elsa's Betrayal is the best of them, with the first statements of both the Schzero and the Nazi march.

Better than nothing, just like we've lived with until now. If we're comparing this Indy release to the Star Wars Anthology, it was just a few years later that we got the SEs, so who knows we might have the completely complete scores before too long. Not than I'm not happy with what we're getting now, I'm thrilled beyond description.

PRELIMINARY KOTCS 2-DISC DVD FINDINGS:

* In addition to the unreleased music on the chapter menu from Disc 1, the Pre-Viz menu on Disc 2 has a short passage from an unreleased cue. I couldn't place it immediately, but it features Spalko's theme. I'm certain someone will figure it out before me. (My best guess: it's either Spalko's first appearance in "Nevada, 1957" or "Spalko's Dossier".)

* The score is mostly isolated during the three Pre-Viz sequences (FX kick in on "Warehouse Escape" when the rocket goes off). The bad news is that the music isn't synced perfectly to the action in any of the sequences, and the music editors compensated by making edits in the music -- some of them quite jarring. Even so, there's LOTS of great stuff here! I'll elaborate...

* "Warehouse Escape" kicks in when Indy uses his whip to seize the gun. Ark Theme quote fully intact (the lead-in is actually longer than was heard in the film!), in addition to the quote from Raiders. And Neil wants to know if the quote from "Ah, Rats!!!" from Last Crusade at the beginning was audible in the movie, and if anyone caught it before. :-) The FX at the very end of this sequence are actually less obtrusive on the DVD-rip, BTW -- no horrible screams!

* "Jungle Chase" is cut down somewhat, but don't worry: we do get a lot of unreleased stuff. The cue actually begins with "They Weren't You!", although Marion's theme is cut off early. We then get the unreleased opening to "Jungle Chase Part 1", all the way up through the series of ascending variations on the A-theme. The music then skips to album material (no B-theme quote, unfortunately -- although this is virtually perfect on the DVD) and continues through to a clean ending that fades away just before the dramatic "Belly of the Steel Beast"-esque cadance would kick in.

* "Ants!" actually includes most of "Over The Cliff" at the end! As before, however, Marion's theme is abridged at the end ... there's a harsh cut to the closing statement of Spalko's theme. (Indy retrieving his hat, BTW, is the original version as heard on the album, and not the tracked-in music from the beginning of the film.)

* The doc gives us some very nice moments with Williams at the recording sessions. There's footage of him conducting "The Adventures of Mutt" and "Irina's Theme," and some nice moments with Spielberg (including one involving a very special article of clothing). But my favorite moment comes from Williams. Talking to Spielberg about Spalko, he states, almost indignantly: "She's not supposed to be sexy, but she is to me!" They laugh. "She's my kind of babe, you know? She would rule the world."

* In addition to the unreleased music on the chapter menu from Disc 1, the Pre-Viz menu on Disc 2 has a short passage from an unreleased cue. I couldn't place it immediately, but it features Spalko's theme. I'm certain someone will figure it out before me.

* The score is mostly isolated during the three Pre-Viz sequences (FX kick in on "Warehouse Escape" when the rocket goes off). The bad news is that the music isn't synced perfectly to the action in any of the sequences, and the music editors compensated by making edits in the music -- some of them quite jarring. Even so, there's LOTS of great stuff here! I'll elaborate...

* "Warehouse Escape" kicks in when Indy uses his whip to seize the gun. Ark Theme quote fully intact (the lead-in is actually longer than was heard in the film!), in addition to the quote from Raiders. And Neil wants to know if the quote from "Ah, Rats!" from Last Crusade at the beginning was audible in the movie, and if anyone caught it before. :-) The FX at the very end of this sequence are actually less obtrusive on the DVD-rip, BTW -- no horrible screams!

* "Jungle Chase" is cut down somewhat, but don't worry: we do get a lot of unreleased stuff. The cue actually begins with "They Weren't You!", although Marion's theme is cut off early. We then get the unreleased opening to "Jungle Chase Part 1", all the way up through the series of ascending variations on the A-theme. The music then skips to album material (no B-theme quote, unfortunately -- although this is virtually perfect on the DVD) and continues through to a CLEAN ENDING for Part 1 (it fades out instead of segueing to the cadence for Part 2).

* "Ants!" actually includes most of "Over The Cliff" at the end! As before, however, Marion's theme is abridged at the end ... there's a harsh cut to the closing statement of Spalko's theme. (Indy retrieving his hat, BTW, is the original version as heard on the album, and not the tracked-in music from the beginning of the film.)

* The doc gives us some very nice moments with Williams at the recording sessions. There's footage of him conducting "The Adventures of Mutt" and "Irina's Theme," and some nice moments with Spielberg (including one involving a very special article of clothing). But my favorite moment comes from Williams. Talking to Spielberg about Spalko, he states, almost indignantly: "She's not supposed to be sexy, but she is to me!" They laugh. "She's my kind of babe, you know? She would rule the world."

Meaning we need to edit 2 new versions each of jungle chase ,Ware house escapes and Ants:

1)Still incomplete ones using the isolated PRE ViZ segments only +OST

2)Complete ones using DVD rips+Previz+OST

Personally only 1) will make it to my official expanded score but I'd need complete versions as reference.

K.M.

Delightful news John. Thanks for the heads up!

Regarding the warehouse escape, if the FX only kick in when the rocket sled takes off, isn't that when the music cue ends in the film anyhow?

Also, is there the unreleased, dialled out extension of Marion's theme in "Over the Cliff", which occurs when Marion drives the duck off the edge of the cliff?

Regarding the warehouse escape, if the FX only kick in when the rocket sled takes off, isn't that when the music cue ends in the film anyhow?

Yes -- but the FX overlap with the last note.

Also, is there the unreleased, dialled out extension of Marion's theme in "Over the Cliff", which occurs when Marion drives the duck off the edge of the cliff?

Yes, I think so. But that begs the question: if it was unreleased and dialed out, how did you know about it? :lol:

Heh ... yeah, I think that bit is dialed way down in the film, but not out completely. Anyway, it's there ... but the statement of her theme that occurs once they've landed safely gets cut off abruptly for a quick transition to Spalko's theme.

Ah, rats. In the film they dialled it out from the shot of Mac & Mutt screaming, mid way through a note of all places.

And I must be missing the quote of 'Ah Rats' in KOTCS. Whereabouts is that?!

And I must be missing the quote of 'Ah Rats' in KOTCS. Whereabouts is that?!

At the start of "Warehouse Escape". It's very obvious on the pre-vis doc and it's in the film, too.

Neil

Not tracked; quoted. "Tracked" would imply that the old recording was simply dropped in -- which it might have been, on the temp. Regardless, the quote is clearly intentional, as are the "Map Room," "escape from Peru" and "Marshall College" quotes in this same section of the film.

Is there some kind soul out there who could rip the audio from the Jungle Chase pre-vis and send it to me?

I am going to aim to get as complete a version as possible without including any significant sfx (as far as people are happy with my contribution to all this :lol: ). I also want to get rid of the section temporarily in mono on my 2nd edit - it's all pretty much the same during that part of the cue so a few seconds won't be missed.

But I don't want to have to buy the DVD myself - I didn't like the movie even remotely enough.

Is there some kind soul out there who could rip the audio from the Jungle Chase pre-vis and send it to me?

I am going to aim to get as complete a version as possible without including any significant sfx (as far as people are happy with my contribution to all this :lol: ). I also want to get rid of the section temporarily in mono on my 2nd edit - it's all pretty much the same during that part of the cue so a few seconds won't be missed.

But I don't want to have to buy the DVD myself - I didn't like the movie even remotely enough.

Wait, IS there any Jungle Chase music that's SFX from the DVD?

Okay, I'm going through right now, and the statement of Marion's Theme from "They Weren't You" is on the "Set Up" menu!

EDIT: The only problem is that I'm having trouble finding those files. I may end up having to just record it. If anyone else finds the files (or has any clues on how to find menu files) let me know.

Other problem is that it's compressed to hell (I have disc one, but not disc two).

DVD audio files aren't like separate 'wav' files or anything, they'll be in a (probably very small if a menu) '.vob' video file. You can either rip this and extract the audio, or use a DVD audio ripping program that lets you select by chapter and gives you a .wav.

That's what I'm talking about. I'm quite familiar with it, but I'm not being able to find where the .vob file is.

Oh, and that section of "They Weren't You" is also on the Disc Two Setup Menu, and it doesn't sound terribly compressed.

Do any of you know where I can get good version of "You're a Sweet Little Headache" form Last Crusade? I have one that sounds pretty good but it is hard to tell if it the same one used in the film. Incase some of you don't know what I am talking about this is the music Elsa is playing when Indy enters her room.

It's probably the Benny Goodman/Martha Tilton version, but you'd have to check the Last Crusade end credits to be sure. You can preview 30-sec of it from amazon:

Youre A Sweet Little Headache

For the most complete soundtrack, this song will have to be included...

So all I have to do is drink 5 points' worth of Pepsi and I can have a super-duper anally retentive version of Last Crusade? AWESOME!!!

Not if you want it in lossless!

As much as KotCS bores me, I have to admit this unreleased music is pretty fun. I'm looking forward to editing it all together.

And I'm looking forward to some nice soul passing their work forward. :) I'm not bad at video editing, but audio isn't my thing. Its nice that we're able to get this much from the dvds. Unfortunately, I have to wait 6 weeks to get mine when I go home for Thanksgiving break.

John Takis wrote:

* In addition to the unreleased music on the chapter menu from Disc 1, the Pre-Viz menu on Disc 2 has a short passage from an unreleased cue. I couldn't place it immediately, but it features Spalko's theme. I'm certain someone will figure it out before me. (My best guess: it's either Spalko's first appearance in "Nevada, 1957" or "Spalko's Dossier".)

FYI, just watched that scene and checked out the menu music, and it's indeed from the "Spalko's Dossier" cue.

In the Williams section of the making of, we get to see Marion saying "yes dear" in the duck boat acompanied by her theme as it was written for the scene. Makes the acting seem better there.

Haven't gone on a major search for the menu music yet, but I've been assembling the opening sequence using the OST, DVD rips, and pre-viz music. Something to note for all people using this music: at 1:20, at first I thought it sounded like there was an edit where something had been cut, but after checking the music in-film, I think that the actual warehouse escape cue was recorded in two parts. The crash here is the end of the first part, and the second part starts with the brass run and xylophone accents. If you listen to the DVD, you can hear how it's supposed to fit together. If you cut the second half and fade out and reverb the crash, you can get it to sound pretty good. Just didn't want anyone to have to suffer through that unnecessarily. :lol:

Here's what I've come up with...

Warehouse Escape:

no apparent edits, Ark theme quote longer, final sustained note (obscured by sound effects) longer

section at 1:21-1:22 should be combined? (thanks Delorean90)

The Knife Trick:

0:00-0:12 - unreleased

0:12-0:52 - pre-viz 0:06-0:46

0:52-1:00 - unreleased

Jungle Chase Part 1:

0:00-2:28 - pre-viz 0:46-3:11

2:28-3:16 - unreleased

Jungle Chase Part 2: (beings at 3:17 in combined "Jungle Chase')

0:00-1:56 - OST t10 0:00-1:56

1:56-end - pre-vis 5:06-5:40 (clean ending)

Jungle Chase Part 3: (begins at 5:35 in combined "Jungle Chase")

0:00-1:08 - unreleased

1:08-end - OST t10 1:56-end

* The pre-viz sequence presents unused music from 1:49-1:52. The statement of Marion's theme at 0:55 seems to be unedited - the film version tracks in a little bit of Marion's theme from "Over the Cliff" to extend the moment.

Over the Cliff:

pre-viz 3:12-4:22**

** As in the film, there is clearly an edit at 4:17 abridging Marion's theme.

The pre-viz material should be boosted by about 3.5 decibels to match the OST.

I just made 1 long cue for The Knife Trick/Jungle Chase pt. 1,2,3.

the statement of Marion's Theme from "They Weren't You" is on the "Set Up" menu!

Do we need this ,or it is useless?

I must say Jungle Chase sounds really amazing even if we are still missing little bits (the erratic nature of the cue makes edits not too noticeable ,at least not worse than OST microedits). I don't miss the B theme statement as it is almost identical to Truck Chase from Raiders ,but it's too bad the first minute of Part 3 is missing (the military style motif) .

So anyways we got the best 3 unreleased cues from the film, so I'm not complaining. This is essentially what a perfect OST should have been (almost).

I just made 1 long cue for The Knife Trick/Jungle Chase pt. 1,2,3.
the statement of Marion's Theme from "They Weren't You" is on the "Set Up" menu!

Do we need this ,or it is useless?

For a clean version of "They Weren't You" (or "The Knife Trick"), yeah. It pretty much has the stuff that's missing after the pre-viz material for the cue. You might need like two seconds of DVD material, but you could fade the last note for a fairly decent ending.

Unfortunately, I'm not having any luck finding it. Unless it's hidden on one of the supposedly empty .vobs, then I'm not sure where it would be. Does anyone have any experience with where menu music might be hidden?

Many DVD ripping programs will tell you the length of VOB files. So if you know how long the music is, find the file with the matching time.

Does anyone else think that the previz jungle chase music sounds a bit different than the film version in some parts? Or is it just me?

It's got to be an alternate version - different 'hits' in some places, and the aforementioned tracking of Marion's theme.

I plan to make 2 new versions of the Jungle Chase tonight: one using just OST and pre-viz material (will have the odd dead spot given the missing material), and the other one being as complete as possible - basically similar to my last edit, but with pre-viz replacing anything possible, and a few other edits further cleaned up.

The second is mainly for my own desire for a truly complete track, but I really obsess over stuff like this (I will easily use up an entire evening making the complete one - editing is what I love doing more than anything else) so I'm going to try to make the 'complete' one something that I can include properly in the set, not as an alternate or anything - so anyone who doesn't have editing capabilities or isn't making one of their own is welcome to both if they want.