Indiana Jones Unreleased Music Resource

Henry B

Yeah, it won't let me archive the messages, and I don't want to delete any more messages. Technically, I'm not even here...I'm trying to avoid posting much at all these days, but this seemed like a very relevant piece of information and I didn't want to rudely keep it to myself. It is indeed the "Closing: Team Indy" featurette, and it should be relatively easy to find with SmartRipper. You just have to find the "angle" that matches the length of the featurette (3:45, at least for region 1).

Oh forgot to mention: I only have the Blu-Ray.. and no BD-R drive in my PC

Sorry, but I think someone else is gonna have to help you out on this. I've already broken my own rules by posting about it in the first place. =P This process pretty much works for all the unreleased music in the stereo featurettes, though, so be sure to check 'em all! The sound quality always suffers - it's kind of like listening to a mono version and a stereo version of the same recording mixed together, which makes sense, because the channels are partially canceling each other out. But the results are indeed very clean, at least for everything I've listened to so far, so it's an interesting experiment. I'm going to look forward to doing this with my other DVDs, too - it should always work as long as the interviews and so forth were recorded in mono (which they usually are) and the music is preserved in stereo beneath (which it usually is).

Hmmm... it isn't totally clean. I can hear little blips and clicks here and there. It's a little purer than a DVD rip but then the sound quality isn't as good. In my opinion, not worth it for "Knowledge Was Their Treasure."

Hmmm... it isn't totally clean. I can hear little blips and clicks here and there. It's a little purer than a DVD rip but then the sound quality isn't as good. In my opinion, not worth it for "Knowledge Was Their Treasure."

Fair enough. I don't know to what extent I'm going to make use of this technique in my edits, but I figure it's a good one for the toolbox. For instance, before, I was totally faking the opening of "Nevada, 1957" before, using other timpani stuff from other recordings and so forth, since the DVD rip was completely flooded with gunfire in that part, but now I'll be able to use the clean opening from the production diaries.

Anyway, my original point was that there really was a totally clean opening to the cue in that featurette, before Spielberg starts talking as well as the clean, unedited ending of the wedding cue. The dialogue removal was just sort of a discovery I made today that I thought I'd throw in there. I think I'll retreat back into my shell now... :)

EDIT: Bah, couldn't resist. The vanishing stairs cue is a really good example of the low-sound-quality version from the Production Diaries being a better listen than the high-SFX version from the DVD rip. And it's got material that wasn't used in the film, too. That's hardcore unreleasedness right there.

Well, that would be even better - then there wouldn't be any processing necessary at all. But what I'm saying is that if you had all the interview audio without the music AND the interview audio combined with the music, it would be easy to create a music-only version. All you'd have to do is line them up and invert the dialogue track.

The process Datameister describes sounds familiar, or at least the principle. I've tried getting rid of sfx in DVD rips by using the same audio track in both channels, and it does work, but you do get a huge reduction in sound quality for those few seconds, like the source of the music has jumped about 10 feet away from you.

Now if only those docs were in 5.1 it would all be very easy.

By the way The Digital Bits have reported that the previous three Indiana Jones films will be released on Blu-Ray this year probably towards Christmas time. Since those are being released this year hopefully next year we'll see the Star Wars Saga set on Blu-Ray.

By the way The Digital Bits have reported that the previous three Indiana Jones films will be released on Blu-Ray this year probably towards Christmas time. Since those are being released this year hopefully next year we'll see the Star Wars Saga set on Blu-Ray.

You already said this in the indiana jones cuesheets thread....

Hopefully the Star Wars set will have the original versions in reference quality high-def instead of crap high-def, as well as deleted scenes.

You already said this in the indiana jones cuesheets thread....

I think back then it wasn't quite confirmed but they have now confirmed it with Lucasfilm and Paramount.

Hopefully the Star Wars set will have the original versions in reference quality high-def instead of crap high-def, as well as deleted scenes.

I think we can say that this is very unrealistic..

Well I for one hope that for ROTJ they have the original ending scene with Old Anakin, Old Ben and Yoda at the end restored instead of Hayden. That still pisses me off to this day that Lucas changed that for the DVD release.

I hope too they correct the audio issues with ANH and the whole color timing with all three Original movies.

I think there is a possibility of HQ unaltered OT, but expect further changes in the altered OT. and maybe altered PT too (yay CGI yoda in TPM!)

Yay... ;)

I think there is a possibility of HQ unaltered OT, but expect further changes in the altered OT. and maybe altered PT too (yay CGI yoda in TPM!)

Yay... :lsvader:

;)

Even if its an amazing craftmanship of a puppet, aesthecally it sucks.

Yay... :happybday:

:music:

It's not the best puppet - and it's not as good as Yoda in ESB - but it looks a million times more realistic than the computer generated monstrosity in Clones and Sith. You know why? Because it's real.

Yay... :mellow:

:mellow:

It's not the best puppet - and it's not as good as Yoda in ESB - but it looks a million times more realistic than the computer generated monstrosity in Clones and Sith. You know why? Because it's real.

*Imperial voice* 'Purist Scum! :P

:lol:

Frankly, George messed up big time with the prequels with the overuse of CGI. I hate it personally, but would rather have a CG Yoda to at least create some continuity between the prequels, because there's not much. :huh:

Frankly, George messed up big time with the prequels with the overuse of CGI. I hate it personally, but would rather have a CG Yoda to at least create some continuity between the prequels, because there's not much. :huh:

ENOUGH!!!! I don't recall there being a country in the world full of massive sink holes like Utapau or a place where there's miles of miles of nothing but city to shoot the exteriors of Coruscant. Every location that has a practical counterpart in the real world was used for location shooting but those places that don't exist look much better in CG. Why waste the money to create thousands of clone costumes and then destroy them when they could just be created with the computer? Fact of the matter, if CG existed when the OT was made, they would have been littered with CGI too. Look at all the sfx shots there were in the OT. Using CG as sfx shot is absolutly necessary. I just don't see why movie makers should be forced to downgrade quality and work with the old smoke and mirror tricks. Yeah, model shots against a starry background with the nice matte lines around them look soooo much better than CG. George didn't mess up at all. He's one of the pioneers of CG and he's not going to use it? People didn't complain when CG was used in Terminator 2.

Anyway...

I find it interesting that "Truck Chase" and "Indie's [sic] Feats" are not edited together correctly on the DCC release. The score confirms that the former ends and the latter begins on the first beat of the same measure, which means they should have been overlapped, but the DCC release puts them with a beat between them, as if the last measure of "The Truck Chase" is in 5/4. I generally prefer the DCC sound for this particular track, but at least the Concord release has them edited together properly. (This is at 5:42 in the DCC release and 5:03 in the Concord.) The edit into "Truck Chase" is also better, though that difference is just a tiny fraction of a beat.

ENOUGH!!!! I don't recall there being a country in the world full of massive sink holes like Utapau or a place where there's miles of miles of nothing but city to shoot the exteriors of Coruscant. Every location that has a practical counterpart in the real world was used for location shooting but those places that don't exist look much better in CG. Why waste the money to create thousands of clone costumes and then destroy them when they could just be created with the computer? Fact of the matter, if CG existed when the OT was made, they would have been littered with CGI too. Look at all the sfx shots there were in the OT. Using CG as sfx shot is absolutly necessary. I just don't see why movie makers should be forced to downgrade quality and work with the old smoke and mirror tricks. Yeah, model shots against a starry background with the nice matte lines around them look soooo much better than CG. George didn't mess up at all. He's one of the pioneers of CG and he's not going to use it? People didn't complain when CG was used in Terminator 2.

Nope, don't agree with this 'downgrading' argument at all. You know Aragog the spider in CoS? That's a real, practical effect (Grint apparently isn't acting during that scene - he really is terrified). If they can do it, why not Lucas?

Yeah, model shots against a starry background with the nice matte lines around them look soooo much better than CG.

Hate to ruin your sarcasm, but if done well, they can look a lot better - there's little substitute for seeing a real thing, no matter what scale.

And your T2 argument isn't relevant. It's not going to be possible to create a liquid metal version of Robert Patrick's terminator using practical FX, so of course you need a computer, but it's not like the film used CG backgrounds or a CG John Connor for 'wow' factor shots. The movie used CG where it needed to, and nothing more.

Yes, Lucas is a pioneer, but that doesn't mean he has to use it everywhere.

ENOUGH!!!! I don't recall there being a country in the world full of massive sink holes like Utapau or a place where there's miles of miles of nothing but city to shoot the exteriors of Coruscant. Every location that has a practical counterpart in the real world was used for location shooting but those places that don't exist look much better in CG. Why waste the money to create thousands of clone costumes and then destroy them when they could just be created with the computer? Fact of the matter, if CG existed when the OT was made, they would have been littered with CGI too.

And they probably would have been worse for it. It seems like nobody can differentiate between "CGI is bad" and "CGI is used badly." I don't have anything against it, per se. I think it's great in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. I don't think it's great in the prequels because it looks fake. Can you really say with a straight face that the clone troopers look and move like real people? There would have been no need for thousands of suits; there's a wonderful filmmaking trick called compositing. You can layer multiple shots over each other. Also, you don't destroy many suits when you're using modern battle effects (a more acceptable place for CGI in my opinion).

I don't mind the use of CG those who complain about it....well...no comment.

Edit: If the CG makes things look good and works for like stuff that doesn't exist that's one thing. However, for something like Indiana Jones to change entire cliff side to a CG one I can see why people would complain and have every right to. That's just something that shouldn't have been messed with.

Regarding the CG in the Prequels (and OT) I don't mind it and I think all of it looks real great including the Clones.

And the naked natives in the Amazon are perfectly happy eating bugs because they've never had a 21 ounce medium rare T-bone steak before. What's your point?

I was trying to get things back on track, and I failed.

And bugs are a very nice source of protein, you know!

• 2 weeks later...
Anyway...

I find it interesting that "Truck Chase" and "Indie's [sic] Feats" are not edited together correctly on the DCC release. The score confirms that the former ends and the latter begins on the first beat of the same measure, which means they should have been overlapped, but the DCC release puts them with a beat between them, as if the last measure of "The Truck Chase" is in 5/4. I generally prefer the DCC sound for this particular track, but at least the Concord release has them edited together properly. (This is at 5:42 in the DCC release and 5:03 in the Concord.) The edit into "Truck Chase" is also better, though that difference is just a tiny fraction of a beat.

Nice catch.

But on that first edit, into Truck Chase, the DCC's is better; on the Concord Truck Chase is mixed in a tiny bit too fast.

But on that first edit, into Truck Chase, the DCC's is better; on the Concord Truck Chase is mixed in a tiny bit too fast.

I definitely disagree. The Concord version works perfectly, taking into account the slightly faster tempo of the second cue and lining up the two notes pretty well. The DCC version's better mix makes it unfortunately obvious that the two notes are not quite lined up - the very audible xylophone note that's part of the first beat of "Truck Chase" comes a bit after the final note of "Indie [sic] in Pursuit." This also has the effect of drawing out the first beat of the measure, so that that first beat sounds like it's still going at the tempo of "Indie in Pursuit," when it should be going at the tempo of "Truck Chase," as it does in the DCC edit.

On the contrary, the Concord doesn't leave room for the first beat at all, in contrast with the DCC...

Let's make sure we're on the same page with several things first. Now, the first beat is a loud tutti eighth note that is meant to coincide with the last note of "Indie in Pursuit"; the horns come in with their triplet figures on the second beat. It's safe to assume that when "Truck Chase" was recorded, the first beat was not noticeably longer or shorter than the second beat. We in agreement so far?

If we are, take a look at this waveform of the Concord version, with the last beat of "Indie in Pursuit" and the second two beats of "Truck Chase" very, very carefully marked by yours truly. If anything, "Truck Chase" actually comes in too late, thought it certainly doesn't sound that way. Try this out for yourself in Audacity if you want.

desertchasetransition.jpg

• 1 month later...

Absolutely.

Curiously I bought the DS version of the LEGO games, and it actually has the real music, and not midi, but it's all in mono, too bad... I didn't hear anything unreleased there (yet - I'm still playing) but if there is, it's better quality than some of the Last Crusade bootleg out there.

All versions of the game had real music, no midi

The only unreleased music in the game (since the Concord box set came out) is the Map insert and some rope bridge music from Temple of Doom

http://www.indianajonesmusic.com