"Possible Spoilers" Ian McDiarmid and his characte

Has anyone noticed that, along with Ian playing Palpatine, he also plays Darth Sidious? Are they the same person, or are they just supposed to be reminiscent of each other? If they are one and the same, then the Senate is ruled by a lord of the Sith.

~Conor

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This also has to do with AOTC, but with Anakin. Has anyone noticed how Anakin's shadow on Tatooine, when he and Padmé are hugging before Anakin goes to search for his mother, looks like Darth Vader? I think that this was intended becuase it is mentioned at imdb.com in the trivia section.

http://us.imdb.com/Trivia?0121765

~Conor

**SPOILERS**

Ian McDirmand (spelling?) plays both characters AOTC and TPM, and he played the Emperor in ROJ. Palpatine and Sidious ARE the same person. He uses both guises to manouver himself into power. So the Senate is ruled by the Dark Lord of the Sith. All will be revealed in Ep. III. Hope that helped.

The one destroyed in TPM was the apprentince, Darth Maul (pretty sure this question was asked sarcastically, but answering it anyway :baaa: ).

I didn't notice Anakin's shadow, but I think that the way his robe is designed whenever you see him from behind it looks a lot like Vader.

Thanks for clarifying that. I agree that Anakin's garments look like Vader's. I think that it would be neat to have a wardrobe like that.

not sure if this id off topic - i didnt want to start a new one just for this comment - the foreshowing you guys were mentioning made me think.... it would have been cool - if somehow when Anakin got the 2nd lightsaber it was a red one, so you saw him dueling with Dooku with one good and one bad saber.... a different tone than his of course but a dark side saber none the less... i dont know just a thought.....

It's a bit tricky to find out, since the Emperor is referred to as Palpatine only ONCE in the original trilogy (in ESB I believe). Having played TIE Fighter, were his name appears in every second cutscene or so, I knew what it was about.

(Now go and watch TPM again, and marvel at Palpatine - an outstanding actor, and many of his lines are just soo mean, like him calling Anakin "young Skywalker" etc.)

Marian - who always thoght that many of the people who claimed TPM had no story just didn't see what the real story was. The Maul "plot" was just there for those who didn't know about Palpatine.

The name Palpatine is not used in any of the first 3 films, although i'm not ure about the credits.

And you are right, McDiarmid was by far the best thing in TPM, and i was a bit dissapointed that we did not see more of him.

As for the story in TPM, it's there, but it's rather poorly executed.

Stefancos- who thinks AOTC handles it's story better. (it doesn't spend 30 minutes on a Podrace that has nothing to do with the main story)

I'm 99% sure that the name Palpatine DOES appear in the original trilogy, but only ONCE. I think some Imperial officer talks about "Emperor Palpatine" - as I said, I believe that's in ESB. (But perhaps it's only in the SE?)

Marian - who didn't notice this the first few times he watched the films.

I'm 99% sure that the name Palpatine DOES appear in the original trilogy, but only ONCE. I think some Imperial officer talks about "Emperor Palpatine" - as I said, I believe that's in ESB. (But perhaps it's only in the SE?)

Marian - who didn't notice this the first few times he watched the films.

I'm not sure about this one Marian. I think Piet is the only one to ever refer to the Emperor in ESB. "The Emperor commands you to make contact with him." I'm 99% sure he's never called Palpatine in the Trilogy SE! Interesting conundrum we've got here ;)

Yeah, Mcdiarmid gave the best performance in TPM and AOTC. He's just wonderfully evil! He stole the show in ROTJ too.

NP: Nixon

I always thought that Senator Palpatine, and Darth sideous were supposed to be the same person, because they have the same voice, and the nose and mouth that you can see of Darth Sideous, is the same of Senator Palpatine. But I was never exactly sure of that though. Thank you for clarifying.

-Jason

I'm fairly certain that "Palpatine", like "Coruscant", were names created by Timothy Zahn for his Thrawn trilogy, and they became so ingrained into the Star Wars mythos that Lucas had to use them for the prequel trilogy.

-Jason

;) The Lost World (complete)

Stefancos- who thinks AOTC handles it's story better. (it doesn't spend 30 minutes on a Podrace that has nothing to do with the main story)

The Podrace did have something to do with the story, it's how Anakin won his freedom. If he hadn't won that race, he'd still be a slave.

I'm fairly certain that "Palpatine", like "Coruscant", were names created by Timothy Zahn for his Thrawn trilogy, and they became so ingrained into the Star Wars mythos that Lucas had to use them for the prequel trilogy.

-Jason

:music: The Lost World (complete)

You're right about Coruscant, but I think Palpatine is Lucas's name. I believe it's in one of the Novelizations, either ESB or ROTJ.

NP: Nixon

You're right about Coruscant, but I think Palpatine is Lucas's name. I believe it's in one of the Novelizations, either ESB or ROTJ.  

If I remember correctly the reference was something to the effect of 'the evil Senator Palpatine' from the original Star Wars novelization (ghost written, I think, by Alan Dean Foster). Back during the 'Journal of the Whills' nonsense and all that.

who the hell is Timothy Zahn and what the hell is the Thrawn trilogy.

None of that book crap is canon. Forget what you thing you know cause it ain't worth remembering. Its just fodder for geeks.

You might think the books are "crap" and non-canon, but that doesn't change that fact that Timothy Zahn invented the planet of Coruscant for his Thrawn Trilogy of books, and Lucas chose to include it in the 1997 SE of ROTJ and all 3 prequel trilogy movies.

And Tim is correct, the name Palpatine is in the original ANH novelization. I forgot about that.

-Jason

:music: 24, about 8:05pm

And Tim is correct, the name Palpatine is in the original ANH novelization.  I forgot about that.  

-Jason

:music: 24, about 8:05pm

Do you mean he was in the original Star War novelization, or a not original special edition rerelease of the novel with the subtitle added.

Joe, who notes there was no original A New Hope novelization and I don't mean to bring up the ANH debate, I simply mean the first novel was Star Wars the Adventures of Luke Skywalker, I think. My wording may be off.

I am holding the original Star Wars novelization from 1977 in my hands. Here's the entire Prologue:

ANOTHER galaxy, another time.

The old Republic was the Republic of legend, greater than distance or time.  No need to note where it was or whence it came, only to know that. . . it was the Republic.

Once, under the wise rule of the Senate and the protection of the Jedi Knights, the Republic throve and grew.  But as often happens when wealth and power pass beyond the admirable and attain the awesome, then appear those evil ones who have greed to match.

So it was with the Republic at its height.  Like the greatest of of trees, able to withstand any external attack, the Republic rotted from within though the danger was not visible from the outside.

Aided and abetted by restless, power-hungry individuals from within the government, and the massive organs of commerce, the ambitious Senator Palpatine caused himself to be elected President of the Republic.  He promised to reunite the disaffected among the people and to restore the remembered glory of the Republic.

Once secure in office he declared himself Emperor, shutting himself away from the populace.  Soon he was controlled by the very assistants and boot-lickers he had appointed to high office, and the cries of the people for justice did not reach his ears.  

Having exterminated through treachery and deception the Jedi Knights, guardians of justice in the galaxy, the Imperial governors and bureaucrats prepared to institute a reign of terror among the disheartened worlds of the galaxy.  Many used the imperial forces and the name of the increasingly isolated Emperor to further their own personal ambitions.

But a small numebr of systems rebelled at these new outrages.  Declaring themselves opposed to the New Order they began the great battle to restore the Old Republic.

From the beginning they were vastly outnumbered by the systems held in thrall by the Emperor.  In those dark days it seemed certain the bright flame of resistance would be extinguished before it could cast the light of new truth across a galaxy of oppressed and beaten peoples. . .  

From the First Saga,

Journal of the Whills

"They were in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Naturally, they became heroes."  

Leia Organa of Alderaan, Senator

Amazing how much George has changed, from as early as ESB to now.

-Jason