1941:Released as DVD iso track

Monsignor:Mostly Released

E.T.:Released complete score

Amazing Stories:Released (just in time)

*Jurassic Park :Not Fully Released*

Schindler's List :Recording Sessions leaked in studio quality sound

*The Lost World :Not Fully Released*

Lukas Kendall wrote this on FSM:

WOW. This was the first thing I thought about as I heard about this in the morning...like most people. Awful.

What would be in there as far as film music? Not the complete recording sessions to Universal films -- those are probably in deep storage somewhere else. But this would be include the LP masters to UMG labels like Decca (Cowboy by Duning?), ABC (Gold by Elmer?), 20th Century Fox (old Malcolm Arnold titles), things like that. Whether they had copies at other locations, I don't know. Good thing Doug Fake did The Last Valley already...

And why would NBC Universal have the list of UMG's inventory? They are different companies, it's Sunday, and an inferno is going on.

Well...

Jaws

Jaws 2

Sugarland Express

Jurassic Park

E.T.

Schindler's List

The Lost World

to name a few.

or you could look on your CDs for MCA or Universal.

But seriously Williams isn't the most important one I'm concerned about.

EDIT: Well after reading Lukas Kendall's post I'm a little more relieved, I think.

OK, what I'm getting from Lukas is were not talking about master tapes for film score recording sessions, but old LP masters. Better. Not great for sure, but better.

Yeah, that's too bad because Intrada was starting to issue some of those. Some of those might be the only way to hear certain scores at this time.

What would be in there as far as film music? Not the complete recording sessions to Universal films -- those are probably in deep storage somewhere else.

Uh, why wouldn't complete recording sessions be stored at Universal? They have to be stored somewhere.

What would be in there as far as film music? Not the complete recording sessions to Universal films -- those are probably in deep storage somewhere else.

Uh, why wouldn't complete recording sessions be stored at Universal? They have to be stored somewhere.

Uh I'd listen to Lukas.

Update from Lukas:

Anyhow, if this is what I think it is -- what Nikki Finke said -- this would affect very specifically film or TV scores where there was an album master on a UMG owned label like ABC, MCA or Fox AND the original recording sessions (from whatever entity produced the film) happened to be lost.

This is the FSM thread where all the info is being posted.

I read Ford's reply he's right we shouldn't go stir crazy over what might be lost until we have hard concrete facts instead of what news reporters are saying.

Strange. The first thing I thought of when they said there was a fire there was the stage that houses the opera set from Lon Chaney's Phantom of the Opera-- one of the oldest standing sets in Hollywood's history. It just sits there, in the dark, covered in sheets of plastic...

By the way, I love how they're saying that a vault was compromised, yet nothing of extreme importance was lost. If it was in a vault, that probably means it was worth keeping...

I'm still not certain that everything will be o.k. Rumor has it that Williams, upon noticing the smoke from his office window, lunged out of his room and rushed to retrieve the rejected score to Color Purple. I think this one may be for real.

I'm still not certain that everything will be o.k. Rumor has it that Williams, upon noticing the smoke from his office window, lunged out of his room and rushed to retrieve the rejected score to Color Purple. I think this one may be for real.

what? :P

At nearly 77 years of age, I don't think he has the energy to rush anymore. I'm still surprised he's able to wave his baton around.

I heard on the news today that non of the vaults were effected as stated by one of Universal's officials. So it seems only the copies were effected as earlier reports when the fire first broke out was true.

Lukas Kendall wrote on the FSM Message Board:

I am doing my own investigating and unfortunately I hear that UMG's press release is b.s. to save face and the stock price -- they lost a lot of priceless masters. We may never know.

Lukas

Soon every American home will integrate their television, phone and computer. You'll be able to visit the Louvre on one channel, or watch female wrestling on another. You can do your shopping at home, or play Mortal Kombat with a friend from Vietnam. There's no end to the possibilities!

Lukas is out to fan the flames, pardon the pun, to get people riled up about the near-loss of everything, so we can get more deals and releases.

A noble end...but not necessarily founded on true means.

I don't know if this has been brought up yet, but wouldn't it be terrible if Back to the Future was lost forever because of this fire? I mean, destroyed before ever having received a decent legitimate release.

There is no fate but what we make for ourselves. :music:

unless of course when the studio decides to milk a franchise for every last drop.

I don't know if this has been brought up yet, but wouldn't it be terrible if Back to the Future was lost forever because of this fire? I mean, destroyed before ever having received a decent legitimate release.

Yes, fortunately that shouldn't be a problem. As far as we know it was old LP masters that was in the vault in question, not any recording sessions masters.

Yes, fortunately that shouldn't be a problem. As far as we know it was old LP masters that was in the vault in question, not any recording sessions masters.

That still sucks though. Sometimes LP masters are all that remains of a film score.

• 11 years later...

It's a bummer they never rebuilt the classic King Kong scene that completely burned down. Some guy in the article questioned why the hell they had a music vault next to King Kong, which featured flamethrowers. The irony is that it was an unrelated minor incident that sparked the inferno, not Kong's controlled fires.

The biggest loss for JW fans is that the original album session masters for JAWS and ET burned up meaning they were unable to definitively remaster the sound or even see if anything else was recorded at the album sessions but then dropped for those 2 recent expanded editions.

It remains to be seen if other Williams scores that had stuff recorded specifically for an Universal-owned music label (Earthquake, maybe Eiger Sanction?) burned up too or not

Thankfully no Universal Studios film scoring elements were in that building but it did affect MCA Records masters and in particular re-recordings would have been compromised. That's why we got 1/4" tapes from the U.K. for Jaws, E.T., Dracula and Monsignor.

Says Mike M in the FSM thread