Universal Studios fire

Dole

A fire broke out this morning at Universal Studios and now NBC news is reporting that the fire has spread to at least one of the film vaults there. Here's hoping that's not true.

The vaults ought to be-- well, safe; insulated and all that.

One more reason for them to open up, licence out, and enable many treasures to be preserved.

The vaults ought to be-- well, safe; insulated and all that.

One more reason for them to open up, licence out, and enable many treasures to be preserved.

Your logic is impeccable, Donald Duck! :)

You actually think when they say vault, they literally mean vaults?

They just keep them in wooden boxes in warehouses not unlike the ones seen in the opening of Indy 4. Albeit smaller.

You actually think when they say vault, they literally mean vaults?

They just keep them in wooden boxes in warehouses not unlike the ones seen in the opening of Indy 4. Albeit smaller.

I understand they filmed that scene in the actual Universal warehouse. I believe JW's scores were stored in the crate just next to the Ark. Now, which is more valuable?

:)

I was just told that the King Kong portion of the Universal backlot tour is gone.

Neil

Now that does suck. This offically qualifies as not funny.

At least Mother's house is still standing. As for the master tapes of Family Plot, for the 10 billionth time I have the tapes. OKKKKK!!!!

"A building that holds a video vault of original and master versions of old movies had been destroyed and the vault itself had been 'compromised.'

Ron Meyer, the president of Universal Studios, said, however, that 'nothing irreplaceable was lost' in the video vault."

Found here.

Neil

More on the vault:

Roughly 40,000 to 50,000 videos and reels were damaged in the vault, but there were duplicates stored in a different location, NBC Universal President and Chief Operating Officer Ron Meyer said.

"Nothing is lost forever," Meyer said.

The videos included every film that Universal has produced and footage from television series' like "Miami Vice" and "I Love Lucy." Firefighters recovered hundreds of those titles from the vault, Freeman said.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9...;show_article=1

Ouch... so do I get this right... the originals are damaged and the duplicates survived? Hmm isn't this bad news? Aren't duplicates aomehow inferior in quality? and so this was "just" a video vault.. what about scoring session tapes?

damn.. thats just my nightmare come true: All these treasures burst in flames

but movies represent our history and culture, they are more than just movies.

I'm glad no one was seriously injured or killed. It's good to know that none of the film was lost forever, but it certainly isn't as important as human safety.

"Nothing is lost forever"

Except the stuff that was recorded over to save money, and master tapes that were hauled off to dumps (including the score to "Lawrence of Arabia") to make room.

What a shame but fortunately no deaths. The studio ride can always be rebuilt. Hopefully nothing of important significance was lost.

I keep checking the news feeds to see if there's any more information about what was in the vaults, but they haven't been updated in several hours so I have a feeling this is all we're going to get. Hopefully Neil will be able to dig up some more info.

that's just great.

well,while they were sitting on their rights to figure out the best moment to make money,some treasures are lost forever.

Hopefully no JW master tapes were destroyed

Maybe you can kiss goodbye to any possibilty of a complete BTTF score ever beeing released.

that's a factor people in a crusase against bootlegging seem to forget.Master tapes sitting in vaults is essentially a disaster waiting to happen

Well, we at least know that the scores to all the JW soundtracks are written out and bound at his house. So the masters may be gone, but there's still a chance for those that were destroyed to be re-recorded.

As for the others, I don't know.