The Official David Arnold thread

MSM

It becomes generic music.

I agree with you. A score needs themes to be interesting most of the time. But I still don't understand how you can say ID4 has no themes...there are at least two BIG ONES that appear frequently.

It becomes generic music.

If you dismiss scores without leitmotif then you dismiss a vast repertoire of classical music. You dismiss most popular music (artists don't usually reprise tunes throughout their albums). You dismiss... well, basically everything except Wagner's operas, Broadway musicals and film scores. Saying that a score must be generic if it doesn't feature recurring themes doesn't make any sense.

"Filmmakers realized Hans and RCP compose better action music.

First of all, that implies strongly that you think RC "composes" better action music; no other logic can be applied. Second of all, filmmakers didn't realise that, filmmakers realised that RCP action stuff is more popular, nothing more.

A lack of theme does not make the music "generic".

C'mon Koray, you're better than that.

I'm afraid not.

Koray - sorry, but you do have a habit of straining your own credibility....this time you've just pissed it down the drain....

• 2 years later...

Hope you guys don't continue the silly discussion above; but did anybody catch Sherlock on the Beeb yesterday?

I thought it was great, and the music terrific. Things like these blow Inception out of the water in both the film and music department.

It's a very listenable score. It's fascinating. And 'Blood Moon' is one of JW's finest tracks.

Hear, hear!

Hope you guys don't continue the silly discussion above; but did anybody catch Sherlock on the Beeb yesterday?

I thought it was great, and the music terrific. Things like these blow Inception out of the water in both the film and music department.

Abso-frackin-lutely!!!! A great show, with a very nifty David Arnold theme, which is as good as, if not better than, his theme for "Randall And Hopkirk (Deceased)". I look forward to next week's episode with relish.

I'll have to keep an eye out on BBC America. He mentioned his involvement on Facebook several weeks ago.

I'm looking forward to his score to the next Narnia.

I think it's going to be shown on a different channel in the US, I forgot which, but check Wikipedia, it's on there.

Glad to see someone else who remembers his great theme for Randall & Hopkirk! Do you have the single? Both versions are fantastic!

Steven Moffat mentioned on his Twitter page (or was it someone on Arnold's FB thread about it?) that Sherlock was made in conjunction with Masterpiece, so we should be seeing it on PBS over here, hopefully in less than a year.

Me too, but cautiously. I've got a feeling it might not be what we expect and want. After all, it's a second sequel in a already established series. So I kind of expect something more in a style previous Narnia scores or The Last Airbender than Arnold's epics from the 90's. So there's a good reason not to hold your breath just yet.

Karol

Holy shit what an ass I was back then.

Yeah but we forgave you. :P

Me too, but cautiously. I've got a feeling it might not be what we expect and want. After all, it's a second sequel in a already established series. So I kind of expect something more in a style previous Narnia scores or The Last Airbender than Arnold's epics from the 90's. So there's a good reason not to hold your breath just yet.

Karol

In the liner notes for the newly expanded ID4 Arnold talks about his excitement for scoring the next Narnia and I believe he mentioned something about getting back to that style of composing.

Here's the quote:

Arnold looks back at the experience as a grueling but positive one. "It was really hard work, but it was great to be able to write like that. That's why I'm looking forward the THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: THE VOYAGE OF THE DAWN TREADER in a way. It's another movie that is broad enough to support some thematic writing, to have that kind of excitement again.

• 3 months later...

There's a new David Arnold release on iTunes and Amazon: Made in Dagenham. This one will not get a physical CD release any time soon.

It's also available on 7digital.

OK so this is only available in the UK, or what? Quite frankly I'm getting really fed up with this nonsense. All that the music business does is complain about illegal downloading, yet they keep restricting their downloads to particular countries.

• 3 months later...

Great news to hear.

I don't know if it is by personal choice or directors overlooking him, but I don't understand how he hasn't done more movies. Escpecially with all the epic comic book type movies that have been coming out for some time now.

• 3 weeks later...

So what's the deal with Changing Lanes - there exists no track titles for the OST?

My favourite David Arnold score, bar none, and can I find it? Can I f**k! :angry:

I have heard some samples once and found them rather unlistenable.

It's pleasant listen, but rather nothing special on the whole, at least judging by the soundtrack album which only contains a few random cues form much longer score. As usual there is a nice main theme played in many renditons, varying from road-movie clished harmonica to big orchestral, ET's Saying Goodbye-like statements at the end (highlight of the score and an obvious homage or - in this case - spoof). One other cue that I found outstanding is You Gotta Try.

The film could be good (I loved Hot Fuzz), but Arnold's music for smaller projects usually doesn't impact me much. Especially a comedy where there's probably more emphasis on slapstick or scene-specific writing.

• 12 years later...

Didn't think it was quite worthy of a thread itself (and I couldn't find a 'general' David Arnold thread) so I'll announce it here:

from

https://soundtrackfest.com/en/news/david-arnold-the-songs-live-uk-tour-nov-2023/

“Acclaimed composer David Arnold, whose credits include five James Bond films, Made in Dagenham The Musical, TV shows Good Omens and Sherlock, is bringing personal song highlights and fan favourites from his prolific career to the stage with a stripped back performance never seen before.

Swapping out his usual orchestra for a 6 piece band, this is an exclusive chance to hear David sing the incredible songs from his esteemed catalogue including The World is Not Enough, You Know My Name, Made in Dagenham and Play Dead in a close and personal setting.”

• SUNDAY, 19 NOV – Lafayette, London, UK
  • MONDAY, 20 NOV – The Cluny, Newcastle, UK
  • WEDNESDAY, 22 NOV – Oran Mor, Glasgow, UK
  • THURSDAY, 23 NOV – Hare & Hounds, Birmingham, UK
  • FRIDAY, 24 NOV – Band On The Wall, Manchester, UK
  • SUNDAY, 26 NOV – The Junction 2, Cambridge, UK

Something different... but the Hare & Hounds pub is very literally 1 mile down the road from me. Might be worth checking out.