The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

Wow, what a nostalgia rush!  Aside from River of Tears, I haven't heard any of this since 1998 at the latest.  My dad had the cassette and it was one of the ones I would cart to high school and blast from my walkman headphones. 

And yet, even having not heard it for so long, there are those unmistakable 90s synths that seem to have stuck with me so powerfully.  Along with Mike Oldfield, Snow's X-Files stuff and the TNG scores, and Horner/Zimmer I guess this may have been one of the sources of that.

I could have sworn his cover of Change the World was on this, but it's not... huh.

Also... good god.  This is one of the few songs in existence that has and could again convince me to dance.

I've been revisiting Ferry's Boys and Girls. Just over 20 years on from its release and while unmistakeably situated in the mid-80s, Rhett Davies' hi-fi production still packs a punch. A natural evolution from late period Roxy with the same 'a bunch of world class session players record for Bryan but never meet' sound, much maligned by certain fans. I'm not one of them.

This is music for debauched lounge lizards and I love it. A real shame Ferry never penned a Bond theme, although thinking about it, he was likely asked but politely declined.

On 3/2/2014 at 4:11 PM, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Two significant anniversaries this weekend. Yesterday, the all-time greatest album turned 41.

And today marks 13 years of my being involved with a wonderful woman. This is about the closest we've gotten to having a "song."

I reiterate this post, updating the numbers to 43 and 15.

On 02 March 2016 at 8:15 AM, TheGreyPilgrim said:

It's a miserable union, this is just denial.

In that case, why not "If You Love Somebody, Set Them Free", or "Fortress Around Your Heart", or "When The Angels Fall", or "Heavy Cloud, No Rain"? :D

21 hours ago, Jay said:

Ain't that a kick in the head? ;)

When the Brits weren't yet fish and chips eating hooligans ... 

James Last doesn't have anything on master Kaempfert.

That plectrum bass!

• 2 weeks later...

Genesis was destroyed when Steve Hackett left. A Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering were both excellent. 

Besides, the devolution of Genesis into pop friendly radio staples that sold albums and made them millions... Isn't that the same thing Gabriel did in his solo career? That's how they survived the 80s.

String up Ray Wilson. He killed Genesis. Literally. 

I can see where you're coming from with the 'It should be about the music' thing, Steef ... as a U2 fan, one tires of Bono getting torn to shreds for every little thing. 

But there's just something about Hucknall that irritates me intensely.    

On 17/03/2016 at 0:12 PM, Stefancos said:

Why does no one in the British Isles have any respect for him? Or Phil Collins?

I posted a couple of tracks from his latest album a couple of pages back. Also, Phil Collins has no issues here. 

On 17 March 2016 at 11:24 PM, Woj said:

Genesis was destroyed when Steve Hackett left. A Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering were both excellent.

Besides, the devolution of Genesis into pop friendly radio staples that sold albums and made them millions... Isn't that the same thing Gabriel did in his solo career? That's how they survived the 80s.

String up Ray Wilson. He killed Genesis. Literally.

Yes...and no.  "ATOTL", and "W+W" are great albums, to be sure (why "Inside And Out" is not on "W+W" is still a complete mystery!), but somehow Genesis knew that, to compete in the ever-expanding "pop" market, they would have to change their style, and Hackett's (sad) departure gave them that opportunity. Anyway, the split didn't do Hackett much harm, either. What did he do after he left? He made his most "American" (and sonically best) album.

"...and then there were three...", "Duke", "Abacab", "Genesis", "Invisible Touch", and "We Can't Dance" all have great songs on them: "Down And Out"; "Burning Rope"; "The Lady Lies", "Duke's Travels/"Duke's End"; "Dodo"/"Lurker"; "Home By The Sea"; "Do The Neurotic"; "Fading Lights", but a single (sepecially the first single) is meant to, somehow represent the album as a whole.

Of course, this is not always the case with Genesis, but, on the whole, people buy a record bacause they have heard the single(s). Genesis knew this.

Contrast this with Yes: three great records on the '80s, but how many great singles? One massive hit, and one that got a lot of air-play. Not so with Phil, Mike 'n' Tony. Singles does not necessarillry equate with poor quality of output. If that is true, then, The Beatles would have been finished with "Love Me Do"!

PG did the same, in the '80s, and he never looked back.

Both PG and Genesis survived the'80s, because they sold good-quality product that a lot of people wanted to buy. That they both became "pop friendly radio staples" is a (lucrative) side-effect.

String up Ray Wilson? No! "One Man's Fool", "If That's What You Need", "It's Not About Us", and "The Dividing Line" are great songs. Nir Zidkyahu's drumming on "TDL" is simply surperb!

To imply that Genesis was ever actually destroyed, well, I was just playing along tongue in cheek to the guy I initially quoted. Genesis entered my life through the shapes album and Invisible Touch, these albums I'm still fond of. Duke is my favorite album by the trio, and even We Can't Dance has good songs. 

Those are the unproggy Genesis albums that were looking for ways to enter the pop charts. A lot of Genesis fans look down upon them.