The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

I never wanted to check them out because I hated those hits. I like Queen but only for the hits, it was never a band for me to extensively anatomize at home.

I listened to my absolute favorite David Bowie record over the weekend, Lodger, and man is that still a pop masterpiece.  I love every single song on this album.

And of course it was made in collaboration with the GREAT Brian Eno! Being a big fan of Eno's solo pop albums of the 70s, I enjoy hearing his unmistakable voice in this section of "African Night Flight," one of the less approachable songs on the album.

"Seems like another day I could fly into the eye of God on high"

Decided to listen to some 2016 albums at work last week

Wolfmother - Victorious

Hey, not bad!  I loved these guys first album a lot, and their second album disappointed me... their 3rd album completely passed me by but their fourth album here is quite good!   The title track is a rockin' single!

Weezer - The White Album

Every album since their first 2 has has strong singles and complete filler in between (except the Red album), and this is no exception.  Some really strong stuff here but not a memorable album all the way through, which is dissapointing because outside of Pinkerton, their "color" albums are usually stronger than their other ones.  I don't think I like anything here as much as "Back to The Shack".

The Lumineers - Cleopatra

Not great, not terrible... I think you gotta be in the right mood for their sound, which I wasn't at the time.  Ophelia is still a pretty cool song.

Tegan and Sara - Love You To Death

Boring.

Fitz and the Tantrum - Fitz and the Tantrums

Loved loved LOVED these guys when they broke out, but each subsequent album has been a step down.  Their second album might have the quintessential FATT song in "Out Of My League" , but overall the album wasn't near the instant-classic status of their debut.  This album continues to push their sound away from where they started and more towards the "ready to be put in daytime health and beauty products commercials" success they achieved with "The Walk".  Oh well.

The Temper Trap - Thick As Thieves

Nothing grabbed me at all.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - The Getaway

Meh.  Way past their prime now.

The Avett Brothers - True Sadness

Pretty solid - these guys seem to have a pretty consistent discography

American Authors - What We Live For

I was a big fan of their debut album "Oh What A Life" (especially the strong singles it produced), but nothing here grabbed me at all

Biffy Clyro - Ellipsis

These guys seem to experiment a lot instead of maintaining a consistent sound.  I still prefer their "God and Satan" and "Many of Horror" sound over their harder sound, so nothing here did anything for me.

Chevelle - The North Corridor

I haven't really liked these guys sinec Joe Loeffler left the band, and this album did nothing to change that.

On 23/07/2016 at 8:17 PM, Stefancos said:

Spandau Ballet - True

This song really speaks to me!

Something romantic is usually about to happen whenever that one appears during a television show.

I recently got back into this gem after forgetting all about it since childhood, but hearing it while on a Greek bus last year......

Another clever gem from when I was a tween, which I'd forgotten all about until stumbling across it again recently on YouTube.

It's always best to listen to this on headphones, as the song subject of multiple personality disorder is reflected in the audio of each ear.

On 7/25/2016 at 0:05 PM, Jay said:

Weezer - The White Album

Every album since their first 2 has has strong singles and complete filler in between (except the Red album), and this is no exception.  Some really strong stuff here but not a memorable album all the way through, which is dissapointing because outside of Pinkerton, their "color" albums are usually stronger than their other ones.  I don't think I like anything here as much as "Back to The Shack".

I hope you keep returning to this one, it's really grown on me since release.  IMO, it's their strongest since Maladroit (but I'm also a big fan of their Green/Maladroit mid-period generally).

It's so awesome having Weezer back with strong, rockin' albums after 4 albums in the wilderness.  I'd prefer to pretend that Make Believe-Hurley never happened and Cuomo just took a 12 year break from Maladroit to Everything Will Be Aright...

Anyway, two really great albums in a row and I'm a very happy oldschool Weezer fan.

That was already my second listen.  It'd not bad, just not "front to back" good like Blue, Pinkerton, and Red.

I'll keep listening, as I have been consistently listening to Weezer for ~20 years.

I saw them in concert on the red album tour, totally amazing show!

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

That was already my second listen.  It'd not bad, just not "front to back" good like Blue, Pinkerton, and Red.

I'll keep listening, as I have been consistently listening to Weezer for ~20 years.

I saw them in concert on the red album tour, totally amazing show!

I know in concept that people exist who love the Red Album, but I don't understand it.  Everything they did between 2005 and 2010 offended me at release, it was lazy Cuomo to me.  But anyway it's all in the past now!

"California Kids"

"Wind in Our Sails"

"King of the World"

"Summer Elaine and Drunk Dori"

"LA Girls"

These are all fantastic pop songs!!

And I'll never understand why Weezer fans think the red album isn't considered significantly better than the rest of their middle period :P

You especially need to listen to the Deluxe version, as King is the best track!  (Miss Sweeney is the worst, though)

I mostly remember that the first single, "Pork and Beans," made me roll my eyes so far back in my head I was looking at my brain.  That song annoyed the crap out of me.  For that whole period, I think Cuomo thought it was funny to look so nakedly like he wanted to appeal to kids and have a hit song, but it was just annoying.

"Back to the Shack" was the better version of a meta Weezer song (Cuomo singing a song about Weezer songs I mean).

Yea Pork and Beans is goofy of course.

Check out the songs Heart Songs, Automatic, and Everybody Get Dangerous!

The Strokes' Is This It came out almost exactly 15 years ago (7/30/01) so I was feeling nostalgic and gave it a listen.  I was completely obsessed with this album back then (aged 14) and I think it's maybe only gotten better in the years since.  Every song is great!

Of course I didn't get the album until the Fall as the album wasn't released in the USA until after 9/11, with the label infamously replacing the track "NYC Cops" in the wake of the tragedy.

For no reason at all, Carole King's "It's Too Late" has been on an insistent, continuous loop in my head all morning.  I don't think I'd heard this song in years. Just random I guess.  Great pop song though.

I'm pretty much totally unfamiliar with Carole King except through Gilmore Girls, but with all this talk about her lately (or perhaps longer than that, but I only recently became aware of it) I just ordered Tapestry.

Tapestry is one of the great pop albums of all time.

You should look into all the songs she wrote for pop groups in the 60s as well (with her ex-husband as the lyricist).  She's amazing!

She wrote one of my favorite Monkees songs:

She even co-wrote Aretha Franklin's "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman"!

That was a big hit! It's Dutchies pulling a Beach Boys-like song! I wasn't a huge fan but once you've heard it was impossible to get it out of your head. That reminds me, tonight on Canvas (high-brow TV), there's a docu on Brian Wilson and The Beach Boys! Must see it.

Alex

Um, yes, thousands of people have eliminated all other Republican candidates leaving only this individual to get the nomination. As if everybody thought it would be funny to see how long they could keep the joke going.

The term is unknown in this country as a synonym for fart, and is quite vulgar across England. Which is fitting for this vulgar orange man. 

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/264355/in-what-english-speaking-communities-does-trump-refer-to-the-breaking-of-wind