The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

23 hours ago, Richard said:

Really?

But my like of music covers a truly huge range of stuff, and you're going to hate me for this one :P

23 hours ago, Richard said:

I prefer your "Voyage Voyage" thing. 

One that is close (even in the style of the video), is this absolute classic :

1 hour ago, Melange said:

But my like of music covers a truly huge range of stuff, and you're going to hate me for this one :P

That outfit! Those legs! I still baffles me that Koray doesn't understand how legs can be sexy ...

24 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

That outfit! Those legs! I still baffles me that Koray doesn't understand how legs can be sexy ...

I noticed at the start of the video that it was March 2003.

Funnily enough, the same month I was watching Jerry Goldsmith conduct at the Barbican in London.

Jerry's legs weren't quite so sexy.

6 hours ago, Richard said:

We're in the lounge, with Melange! :lol:

Keeping with the lounge / exotica theme.............

I took this track to Thailand once on an Mp3 player.

I tell you, this was perfect while on the beach. Happy Days! :)

On 11-8-2016 at 7:52 AM, Richard said:

No love for "Human Nature", "Keep The Faith", "Man In The Mirror", "Speed Demon", or "Stranger In Moscow"?

Man In The Mirror is great and written by a female backing vocalist of Michael Jackson.

On Melange' nostalgia roll, I used to play this one death as it on one of those - Now <insert number> compliation vinyls.

So damn sing-along-able, and the builds in are great. 2:36 is superb, in particular.

I can never decide if I want to latch onto the bass, piano, drums,  "ooo do, oo oo ba ba da da da" or what at that part, it's all so good.

At 3:47, there is no option though. You've got to get into that vocal groove.

3 hours ago, Richard said:

A brilliant score, from an outstanding film!

DSCN6554.JPGDSCN6555.JPG

out.jpg

inner.jpg

Interestingly, there is that slight difference between the film and soundtrack during the scene shown as a clip in the earlier post.

On the album here on track 3, there is that beautiful violin rendition straight after the ritual ends.

I don't know if it was originally intended to play during the scene where they both slowly vanish in the sands or not, or just coincidence that it follows on that track. I'm miixed about it as it's truly beautiful to listen to, and I can imagine it having worked for a short duration at low volume during the start of that scene but equally if it was ultimately pulled then I would totally understand why if the director (or composer, later) perhaps felt the music overly evoked 'civilisation' during the scene. In the film itself, the section where they start to turn to dust somehow works so well in total silence with the sounds of the wind and sand only, a primordial 'dust to dust'.

The film had a profound effect on me back in the day (even though some of the later parts of it unfortunately got a bit goofy), after first spotting it on the shelf at my local VHS rental store, and ended up renting that one many times. All the actors were very passionate in their roles. Did you ever read the original novel by Paddy Chayefsky. I used to own it years ago, but can't remember now if it was radically different from the later film.

I've never read the book, but...it's Ken Russell, so expect the unexpected.

OK, it's 6:39am, and I'm listening to "The Ninth Wave", while waiting to start work. After 31 years, I still don't have clue #1 what it's about, but it is a surreal experience.

• 2 weeks later...

To get off the beaten tracks, and because many Aznavour compilations are very romantic and nostalgic... I've created this playlist some years ago to show a more happy side of him. It's arranged like a little story and even it's in french, you may understand some parts :-)

Zome lizzle french oldies!

I love 80s rock myself, although that particular song by Starship doesn't do much for me.

Richard mentioned The Alan Parsons Project...that's only, like, one of my favourite bands ever (I'm a completist even)..

In fact, I don't understand how Richard is able to compare Starship with APP. If Steef would listen to APP, he would kill himself, that's how different they are.

Well, technically it was the orchestrator Andrew Powell, and not Parsons or Woolfson that composed the music for Ladyhawke. Parsons did produce it, I believe.

Alex

4 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

In fact, I don't understand how Richard is able to compare Starship with APP. If Steef would listen to APP, he would kill himself, that's how different they are.

I just picked TAPP as an example of how bands change. It could easily have been "INVISIBLE TOUCH", or " OWNER OF A LONELY HEART", or "RADIO GA GA".

4 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Well, technically it was the orchestrator Andrew Powell, and not Parsons or Woolfson that composed the music for Ladyhawke. Parsons did produce it, I believe.

Alex.

...but he did " nick" a lot of music from "SILENCE AND I"...

3 minutes ago, Richard said:

I just picked TAPP as an example of how bands change. It could easily have been "INVISIBLE TOUCH", or " OWNER OF A LONELY HEART", or "RADIO GA GA".

Wow, you sure know how to pick the turnaround songs of these bands, Richard!

How about Another Brick In The Wall?

3 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Wow, you sure know how to pick the turnaround songs of these bands, Richard!

How about Another Brick In The Wall?

Pt I, Pt II, or P III? ;)

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Radio Ga Ga is a properly brilliant song!

I agree. With the possible exception of "MACHINES (or BACK TO HUMANS)", it's the best track on " THE WORKS".

You have to remember that each of them is a chapter in a musical story, and that each has merit, and a function in moving the story forward.

That being said, I believe that it was Bob Ezrin, who suggested that "ABITW PT II" was turned into a dance song. 

Personally, I have no problem with it. The solo more than makes up for any shortcomings the song might have, and it was the last UK #1 single of the 70s, and the first of the 80s. Not too shabby!

10 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The worrying thing about that possibility is that Cremeritis can only be transmitted sexually....

I think you can rest easy ;)