The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

1 hour ago, Richard said:

I wasn't aware that the first two were combined. Check out the complete ORGANISATION, as there's some great stuff on there: ENOLA GAY, MOTION AND HEART, THE MISUNDERSTANDING, the beautiful STANLOW, and a very sinister version of THE MORE I SEE YOU.

Heh, every song you mentioned is on the American self-titled debut except the last one.

More of a John Foxx man myself. I've just never got into OMD's particular aesthetic.

As for the other pasty white boys with starched shirts and synths (early 80s) - I'm partial to The Human League (Reproduction and Dare - sod the rest), Heaven 17 (Penthouse & Pavement, The Luxury Gap and How Men Are), Gary Numan (Telekon), Associates (Fourth Drawer Down and Sulk), Japan (Gentlemen Take Polaroids and Tin Drum) and early Talk Talk (a couple of tracks from The Party's Over, and most of It's My Life),

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Enola Gay ... Really guys?!

Yes...really, Alex! It's a very sad song, wrapped up in a great uptempo vibe.

2 hours ago, Sharky said:

More of a John Foxx man myself. I've just never got into OMD's particular aesthetic.

As for the other pasty white boys with starched shirts and synths (early 80s) - I'm partial to The Human League (Reproduction and Dare - sod the rest), Heaven 17 (Penthouse & Pavement, The Luxury Gap and How Men Are), Gary Numan (Telekon), Associates (Fourth Drawer Down and Sulk), Japan (Gentlemen Take Polaroids and Tin Drum) and early Talk Talk (a couple of tracks from The Party's Over, and most of It's My Life),

METAMATIC is a really good record. 

UNDERPASS and NO-ONE DRIVING, are great songs, too. Shame his career never took off, once he left Ultravox!

The other stuff you mentioned?

DARE is on of the greatest albums of the 80s...period.

PENTHOUSE AND PAVEMENT is fantastic.

TELEKON is of the most beautiful/sad records I've ever heard (PLEASE PUSH NO MORE, THE AIRCRASH BEAUREAU, THIS WRECKAGE, and REMIND ME TO SMILE are among his finest).

The Associates are just...wow.

TIN DRUM is so gorgeous in its simplicity.

TALK TALK are...unique.

No love for Soft Cell?

33 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

All great music!  Although, my favorite single song of that 1979-1983 era is probably Depeche Mode's "Just Can't Get Enough."

They got a lot better, as they got darker.

SOME GREAT REWARD, and BLACK CELEBRATION are dense.

4 minutes ago, Richard said:

They got a lot better, as they got darker.

SOME GREAT REWARD, and BLACK CELEBRATION are dense.

Oh I agree, I was speaking only of the initial wave of synth pop.  I consider from 1984 onward the "maturation" of the subgenre, when they moved beyond just imitating Kraftwerk.

TALK TALK are...unique.

They're a strange phenomenon, as they got more interesting with each successive record, while most bands tends to follow a bell curve like pattern, peaking somewhere in the middle then tapering off. I guess Hollis and Friese-Greene quit at the right time.

I'm a Talk Talk fan who holds the best of their early and late periods with equal affection. When I meet another fan it's usually either a snobby purist who dismisses the synth pop years and sticks with Spirit of Eden, Laughing Stock and (just maybe) The Colour of Spring, or it's a someone who's only familiar with It's My Life and Such a Shame. Songs like Call in the Night Boy or The Party's Over and Happiness is Easy or Taphead are just as enjoyable to me, but for different reasons.

No love for Soft Cell?

I love Soft Cell, but my brain filing system groups them in the category of soulful diva + synth geek duos along with Yazoo, Euythmics and Erasure.

Randy Newman's "Dark Matter" Due August 4 on Nonesuch; First Album of New Material Since 2008

My favorite living songwriter is releasing his first new album in 9 years.  It's kind of a big deal for me.  Can't wait.

Listened to it yesterday 3-4 times on Spotify. Very good! I must say I'm a fan of the early Beatles, and of course, in Mono. This one,  with his remixed stereo, sounds great at last!

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

Listened to it yesterday 3-4 times on Spotify. Very good! I must say I'm a fan of the early Beatles, and of course, in Mono. This one,  with his remixed stereo, sounds great at last!

I wouldn't say that SGT. PEPPER is "early". I'd say anything pre RUBBER SOUL is early.

7 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Sound.

Er...thank you, Mr. Steef, we'll take that under advisement.

Did they call black and white TVs just TVs because color TVs came along? 

I guess standard transmissions were just that before automatic transmissions were invented. 

The mono Beatles box set is good enough for me. I suppose I'll need to buy Let It Be to sit next to Abbey Road, but I have a copy of LIB Naked and that's enough for now. 

Literally the only thing I miss when listening to the mono versions of Beatles albums is "I got blisters on my fingers!!" which is only on the stereo White album.

58 minutes ago, Richard said:

I wouldn't say that SGT. PEPPER is "early". I'd say anything pre RUBBER SOUL is early.

Er...thank you, Mr. Steef, we'll take that under advisement.

Yeah, Pepper was the first album of the new, more experimental, psychedelic Beatles. Am I right? Certainly not early Beatles!

The Beatles, Phase 1: Please Please Me / With The Beatles / A Hard Day's Night / Beatles For Sale

The Beatles, Phase 2: Help! / Rubber Soul / Revolver

The Beatles, Phase 3: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band / Magical Mystery Tour

The Beatles, Phase 4; The Beatles / Abbey Road / Let It Be

I more or less agree with Jay's segmentation.

23 minutes ago, Richard said:

The 9/9/'09 release is perfectly acceptable, but the tracks are not just remastered, they're completely remixed. It might be worth £9:99, or whatever you pay, where you live.

Honestly, I'm not so enamored with Sgt Pepper that I need to keep rebuying it, remix notwithstanding.  Maybe years down the line, but I'm not in a rush.

Rush?! Now you're talking!

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Man I love Revolver.  Been a while since I listened to it, maybe I'll put it on today.

Agreed. SGT. PEPPER is a fantastic record...and REVOLVER shits all over it.

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

I actually listened to Clockwork Angels just this week!  Good album that.

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

Agreed. SGT. PEPPER is a fantastic record...and REVOLVER shits all over it.

"She Said She Said" man.   One of my all time favorite songs.

Man I love Revolver.  Been a while since I listened to it, maybe I'll put it on today.

Rubber Soul and Revolver represent the best purest song writing they've ever done, in my opinion.

I actually listened to Clockwork Angels just this week!  Good album that.

I listened to Caress of Steel for the first time in a long time recently.

And the best song in the charts right now is from ABBA-- wait a minute, it's... STEPS?! 

Psst, it was written by Benny and Bjorn. And it's a classic! @1:22, you can almost imagine Fältskog singing. 

Paramore aren't bad, I've heard them a lot recently. They're far preferable to Florence + The Machine anyway. She sounds like a fucking banshee. 

6 hours ago, Richard said:

No, it's not the "early" part of course, I said I prefer the early Beatles, so the previous albums to Sgt. Pepper.

For me this album represent the beginning of the end ;-)

But this remixed version is very good. I always found the sound of this album, either the mono and stereo version, a little bit strange.

Now it's very good, at least, for a casual fan like me.

Stop, I didn't even listened the latest Pink Floyd album yet! ("listened to" or just "listened"...?) I never know. Ah... english...

If you like 80's songs... mixed with some new things... follow this Super DJ on Spotify... his "Fuzz" playlists are great.

8 hours ago, Bespin said:

Stop, I didn't even listened the latest Pink Floyd album yet! ("listened to" or just "listened"...?) I never know. Ah... english...

"I listened"

"I am listening"

"I will listen"

"I did listen"

"I didn't listen"

18 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Gregg Allman, singer/organist for the finest purveyors of hippie Southern rock, The Allman Brothers Band, passed away today.  Rest in peace.

Indeed. Now he's an angel. 

Beatles fans were angry that Strawberry Fields Forever and Penny Lane never made the album but I've heard they are to be included for the 50th anniversary version!

I just wanted to note that today marks the release of two albums, one by Katy Perry, the other by Chuck Berry.

Katy Perry. Chuck Berry. Perry Berry. Berry Perry.

Anyway, I bought the Berry, not the Perry.

Berry Perry.