The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

The Offspring has a nice handful of great hits.

I used to be a huge fan when I was around 12-14. Looking back now I recognize they were more of a singles band than an album band, although I still enjoy Crash, Ixnay and Ignition for the most part.

Probably one of the few pop punk bands I ever got into, though that's probably because they were closer to Social Distortion, Bad Religion, The Descendants etc. than the likes of Green Day, Blink 182, Fall Out Boy, Sum 41.

On 6/9/2017 at 1:15 PM, nightscape94 said:

Listening to Queensrÿche's "Operation Mindcrime" for the first time in like 20 years.

Whaaaaaaaaaat?  Why haven't you listened to it since 20 years ago?

Great album, ignore the sequel album though

Just one of those things.  I haven't kept up with them since "Hear in the Now Frontier", but I was aware they came out with a sequel.  Had no desire to seek it out, but now I'll make sure to stay aware from it.

I watched a docu about Mick Ronson, who was the guitarist of David Bowie's The Spiders From Mars. It's quite amazing how a genius musician (he was practically the arranger/producer of Bowie in that period) like Ronson lived most of his life on the edge of poverty.

191368.jpg

New Mogwai song is cool as shit.

@Disco Stu are you a fan of QOTSA's later works?

I'm a big fan of Rated R and Songs for the Deaf, and Lullabies to Paralyze is alright, but I struggle to get through Era Vulgaris and Like Clockwork...

Rated R and Songs for the Deaf are definitely their best work that they'll never equal, but I think Era Vulgaris and Like Clockwork are seriously underrated.  Lullabies to Paralyze is my least favorite QOTSA album by a country mile.

I used to feel like you do about Era Vulgaris but I dunno, one day about 5 years ago that album just "clicked" with me.  It's got this real quirky, raunchy vibe that I just dig, all sharp edges, their least inviting album.  The songs "I'm Designer," "Sick Sick Sick," and "Battery Acid" are particular favorites. 

I'd say about half of Like Clockwork is as good as they've ever been.

"If I Had a Tail" especially is one of my favorite QOTSA songs ever and the best on that album IMO.  Really cool groove.

Well inspired by your post I decided to listen to all 5 albums today, just finished Rated R and am starting Songs for the Deaf now

Good luck!

I'd probably decide I'm not a fan anymore if I did that.  Not because the music is bad, it would just be too much at once!

I similarly had to take a years long break from watching the LOTR movies after I watched all 3 extended editions in a row in 2005.  I kind of hated them by the end.

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

Well inspired by your post I decided to listen to all 5 albums today, just finished Rated R and am staring Songs for the Deaf now

When you're done staring, please press play. 

Actually, that's the only album of theirs I have. They came to my undergrad college in 2003 and everyone was very antsy until they played No One Knows, then everyone went nuts and then the show was over. 

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Good luck!

I'd probably decide I'm not a fan anymore if I did that.  Not because the music is bad, it would just be too much at once!

Well I mean, I'm working, and its playing while I'm working.  I'm not like, sitting at the couch doing nothing else but listening with rapt attention

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 1:36 AM, Richard said:

BRAVE is a fine, if dense and a little esoteric record, and certainly a departure from tbe "pop-y" HOLIDAYS IN EDEN. The next one, AFRAID OF SUNLIGHT, is great.

Afraid of Sunlight is pretty good, probably just as good as the others in the early Steve Hogarth era, but let's just agree that Marbles is amazing and call it a day.

4 minutes ago, Woj said:

Actually, that's the only album of theirs I have. They came to my undergrad college in 2003 and everyone was very antsy until they played No One Knows, then everyone went nuts and then the show was over. 

It's easily their best, or at least most accessible album.  I was happy for them when No One Knows took off, since I had already been a fan since The Lost Art of Keeping a Secret was a single

7 minutes ago, Woj said:

The blessing and curse of a band who only has one hit that everyone knows.  I was a big fan of the band Nada Surf when I was in high school, but of course when I saw them live it was a free show at the college in my hometown, so everyone just wanted to hear "Popular" and nothing else.

I love that song and have never heard anything else by them other than their cover of Where Is My Mind?

1 hour ago, nightscape94 said:

Afraid of Sunlight is pretty good, probably just as good as the others in the early Steve Hogarth era, but let's just agree that Marbles is amazing and call it a day.

MARBLES is amazing, but nothing beats CLUTCHING AT STRAWS.

On 2017-5-6 at 7:48 AM, Bilbo Skywalker said:

New Kasabian album.

I think it's their best since *inhales* West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum.

Bought the 'Deluxe Edition' on Amazon yesterday, going to see them in August. 

The Foo Fighters' Glastonbury Saturday night headline set was bloody brilliant. 

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I was obsessed with their album Let Go when I was 16/17.

I'm being absolutely serious when I say this:  Let Go is one of the best albums to come out in the last 20 years.  Easy.  Unspeakably awesome album by an underrated band.  The Weight is a Gift is also extremely good and serves as a great one-two punch.

2 hours ago, Richard said:

MARBLES is amazing, but nothing beats CLUTCHING AT STRAWS.

Not a Fish fan, but if I had to pick an album from that era I don't think you can beat Misplaced Childhood.

11 minutes ago, Richard said:

They've done better. KID A is great, and IN RAINBOWS is beautiful.

I strongly disagree about Kid A being better.  In fact, their previous effort, The Bends, I find to be better than OK Computer.  In Rainbows, in its 2-disc form, is fantastic.

20 hours ago, Richard said:

Let's just say that I prefer KID A to OK COMPUTER.

Oh, yes, IN RAINBOWS must be listened to in all its 2-disc glory.

Me too, Richard, me too.

2-disc glory? Huh?

The standard 10 track In Rainbows is a perfect album.  The bonus disc is just that, nice to have but a bonus that isn't necessary for a full listening experience.

23 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The standard 10 track In Rainbows is a perfect album.  The bonus disc is just that, nice to have but a bonus that isn't necessary for a full listening experience.

I bet that you're the sort of person who says that INSIDE AND OUT isn't necessary, when listening to WIND AND WUTHERING. Shame on you!

30 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Me too, Richard, me too.

2-disc glory? Huh?

I think that it's a beautiful record, and I think to call it "glory" is quite justified.

Some double-albums need to be listened-to in their entirety, for the listener to appreciate fully what the artist is trying to say. IN RAINBOWS is one of those records.

Just now, Richard said:

I bet that you're the sort of person who says that INSIDE AND OUT isn't necessary, when listening to WIND AND WUTHERING Shame on you!

hate Genesis.  All eras.