The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

I remember the King.

I'm currently listening to his new set, regrouping all the first recordings from 1953 to 1955.

Oh, yeah.

3 hours ago, publicist said:

Got this last week. Quite spectacular! I'll have to listen to it a few more times to get familiar with it, but both Newman's lyrics and arrangements/orchestrations are as witty as ever. Having two characters complaining about him in the opening number may be even more meta than his brilliant Shame from 1999.

One thing I'm not quite happy with is the sound, as I already noticed when Putin was pre-released online months ago: Some tracks (especially those with orchestra) are brickwalled so much that I find it hard to understand the lyrics.

Here's an interesting article with Newman's comments about every song on the album, by the way.

Wincing the Night Away by The Shins is one of my favorite pop albums of the century.  It's really cheering me up this morning.

I'm obsessed with this great lyric in the song "Turn on Me":

Or do adults just learn to play
The most ridiculous, repulsive games

I don't mean I love it for the abstract meaning of the words, I love the way Mercer hits the consonants and the rhythm of the words.  The way he hits every syllable of "RE PUL SIVE GAMES" is so satisfying.

At 1:08

Not really a good song but the "Cha-la-la-la-la-la thing" part gets to me. Sometimes you only like a tiny portion of a song. What is your favorite part? Wham? Bam? Or Shang- A-Lang?  

14 hours ago, Bespin said:

I love Sha-la-la-la songs!

(James Mason-esque voice) I thought this next song was called Sh-La-La-La-La. In fact, baby, its you!

7 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Very Twin Peaksy/Blue Velvetty.

bluevelvet2.JPG?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSI

Yueh, Yueh, a million songs were not enough for Yueh.

On 8/18/2017 at 9:24 AM, Disco Stu said:

Wincing the Night Away by The Shins is one of my favorite pop albums of the century.  It's really cheering me up this morning.

I'm obsessed with this great lyric in the song "Turn on Me":

Or do adults just learn to play
The most ridiculous, repulsive games

I don't mean I love it for the abstract meaning of the words, I love the way Mercer hits the consonants and the rhythm of the words.  The way he hits every syllable of "RE PUL SIVE GAMES" is so satisfying.

At 1:08

I like The Shins but haven't really kept up with them for awhile.

One of my favorite bands is returning to my area on tour later this year, so I got in the mood to revisit them, as well as the opener they used a few years ago.

DJ Premier is one of the great New York turntablists since the 80s.  This recent taping at NPR with a great funk band is a pure pleasure from start to finish.  Nothin' but good feelings.

I love that they briefly perform one of my favorite old Gang Starr songs, "Step Up 2 the Arena," with the late great Guru's vocal.  Guru is my favorite MC of all time.

Listened last night to the only vintage 45rpm single I own:

1743808.jpgChildoftheMoon_PS.jpg

For me personally, "Jumpin' Jack Flash b/w Child of the Moon" is the best pop single ever released.  Which is the reason why I overpaid for the original 45 on eBay many years ago.

Yeah that's actually not my copy, which I didn't think to take a picture of last night.

I have the American London Records version, not the British Decca.

Again, not my copy but this is exactly what mine looks like.

the-rolling-stones-jumpin-jack-flash-chi

1 minute ago, Richard said:

Nice.

Wasn't this produced by ALO?

Boy, he couldn't produce shit (in fact they've never sounded good on record), but it has bags of atmosphere, and that's probably what counts.

Nope, this was the beginning of their relationship with Jimmy Miller who produced their sessions from Beggars Banquet through Goats Head Soup.  I love the sound of that era.  It's raw and dirty and awesome.

Ah, yes! My mistake.

I just played selections from ROLLED GOLD+, including possibly my favorite Stones song: YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT. It will always be associated with William Hurt popping pills in his Porsche, in THE BIG CHILL.

Happy birthday to A FAREWELL TO KINGS, 40 years old, today.

39 minutes ago, Richard said:

including possibly my favorite Stones song: YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT

While it's deservedly a classic, there are several songs on its album that I prefer. What an album, though! Includes my own probable favourite as well, Gimme Shelter.

81Ut0SKKVhL._SL1500_.jpg

Well, it has Shine a Light, which is at least a close contender for my personal favourite Stones song (though probably not quite a match for Shine a Light), and some other classics. I probably should give it a few full spins again to re-evaluate.

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

My favorite Beatles album is the White Album so I must have a thing for when great bands release sprawling messy double albums.

Anyone who says their favourite Beatles album is anything other than Revlover is wrong. 

2 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Well, it has Shine a Light, which is at least a close contender for my personal favourite Stones song (though probably not quite a match for Shine a Light), and some other classics. I probably should give it a few full spins again to re-evaluate.

"Rip This Joint" makes me want to take a shot, snort a line of coke and break a bottle over someone's head.

1 minute ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Anyone who says their favourite Beatles album is anything other than Revlover is wrong. 

It's not like I'm saying I don't like Revolver.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

"Rip This Joint" makes me want to take a shot, snort a line of coke and break a bottle over someone's head.

It's not like I'm saying I don't like Revolver.

You don't like Revolver? 

😳😳😳

7 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

While it's deservedly a classic, there are several songs on its album that I prefer. What an album, though! Includes my own probable favourite as well, Gimme Shelter.

81Ut0SKKVhL._SL1500_.jpg

Ooh, yes, Marian, GIMMIE SHELTER is rather brilliant.

The cake was baked by our very own Delia Smith, don't you know?

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

My favorite Beatles album is the White Album so I must have a thing for when great bands release sprawling messy double albums.

An 'effing brilliant record.

"sprawling messy double albums", you say?

Would TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS,

THE LAMB LIES DOWN IN BROADWAY, INCANTATIONS,

TUSK,

STEVIE WONDER'S JOURNEY THROUGH THE SECRET LIFE OF PLANTS, SANDINISTA,

LONDON CALLING, and

ENGLISH SETTLEMENT be on that list?

Just now, Richard said:

Ooh, yes, Marian, GIMMIE SHELTER is rather brilliant.

The cake was baked by our very own Delia Smith, don't you know?

An 'effing brilliant record.

"sprawling messy double albums", you say?

Would TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS,

THE LAMB LIES DOWN IN BROADWAY, INCANTATIONS,

TUSK,

STEVIE WONDER'S JOURNEY THROUGH THE SECRET LIFE OF PLANTS, SANDINISTA,

LONDON CALLING, and

ENGLISH SETTLEMENT be on that list?

• I'm with conventional wisdom on Yes, Fragile is their best
  • We've been over this before, I don't like Genesis
  • Tusk is my favorite Fleetwood Mac album.
  • You picked the wrong Stevie Wonder sprawling double album, Songs in the Key of Life is his masterwork.
  • London Calling is obviously The Clash's best
  • Sorry, Black Sea is my favorite XTC record.

7 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Bilbo, you're absolutely right...but...it's The Beatles, and any Beatles is acceptable.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

• I'm with conventional wisdom on Yes, Fragile is their best
  • We've been over this before, I don't like Genesis
  • Tusk is my favorite Fleetwood Mac album.
  • You picked the wrong Stevie Wonder sprawling double album, Songs in the Key of Life is his masterwork.
  • London Calling is obviously The Clash's best
  • Sorry, Black Sea is my favorite XTC record.

Agree with every word, about TUSK, and LONDON CALLING.

FRAGILE is great, but I've got a soft-spot for GFT1.

SITKOL? You said "messy", Stu. I didn't include it because it's obviously his masterwork.

BLACK SEA is good, but nothing beats SKYLARKING (except, maybe, MINATURE SUN/CHALKHILLS AND CHILDREN).

Sandinista definitely fits the bill of being "messy" as well as sprawling.  Too messy for me.  I wonder if anyone ever has listened to it with full attention all the way through.  Anyway, it's a triple album not a double!

I know its a triple album, but how many more triple albums do you know (WINGS OVER AMERICA,  YESSONGS, and WELCOME BACK MY FRIENDS TO THE SHOW THAT NEVER ENDS are not included :lol:)?

(edit) I just thought of another two: JOE'S GARAGE, and CONSEQUENCES)

2 hours ago, Richard said:

Bilbo, you're absolutely right...but...it's The Beatles, and any Beatles is acceptable.

I've been collecting the vinyl albums monthly through D'Agostini. I have them all on cd/digital but this was too good a deal!

I got the Beatles in Mono vinyl box set in a fit of impulsive consumerism a few years back, it's one of my most precious possessions.  It's my preferred way of listening to those original albums, as they would've been heard in the 60s.

The only thing I miss about the stereo version of the White Album is "I'VE GOT BLISTERS ON MAH FINGAHS!!!" which is not part of the original mono.

Oh, and @Richard, there's a new OMD album out today.  I haven't listened yet, but their last album from 2013 was excellent.

MI0004289850.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

I had a compilation tape as a youngster and later found The OMD Singles for download, which are pretty much the same with a handful of additional tracks. I still like them a lot, all of them, but when I tried to look into their albums and bought Organisation and Architecture & Morality, they didn't do much for me outside of those songs I already knew. Too abstract to what I expected from OMD. Are there any albums of theirs that I might appreciate more in their entirety?

8 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The only thing I miss about the stereo version of the White Album is "I'VE GOT BLISTERS ON MAH FINGAHS!!!" which is not part of the original mono.

Oh, and @Richard, there's a new OMD album out today.  I haven't listened yet, but their last album from 2013 was excellent.

MI0004289850.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

That's because HELTER SKELTER in mono is a different take.

Thanks for the heads up about OMD!

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I mean if you didn't like Architecture & Morality much as a whole I'd say no.  It's their best work (although I also love Dazzle Ships, but that's a rather "difficult" album).

I couldn't agree more. A+M is fantastic!

So many goodies, on that record.

DS ain't too shabby, either, even if it is a bit short, and it re-uses A+M B-sides.

GENETIC ENGINEERING 312mm version is great.

https://itunes.apple.com/ie/album/from-tallaght-to-halle/id867954035

It's a mix of trad Irish with rock and African beats or something. Mad stuff altogether aged but it's very enjoyable. 

Track 8 Takaka Rain is the real highlight. For the last number of years now they've been playing it just before the teams come out at Croke Park and that's where I discovered it. It's really good.