The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

10 minutes ago, Richard said:

A milestone remembered. Thanks for posting, Stu.

Do you count the Decca stuff as a milestone, or do you just skip to The Cavern/Hamburg?

I don’t think Decca counts as a milestone although it was certainly a necessary stumble to get them on a different path.

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The Stones were better anyways.

Thank you as ever for your valuable contributions, Stefan.

A Frenchy Jazzy Swing playlist.

French songs to dance.

Some songs may don't appears if you are in USA or outside Canada.

Piaf, Joe Dassin, Dalida, Hardy, Aznavour...

I'm also quite partial to this Casiotone for the Painfully Alone cover of Paul Simon's "Graceland"

And here's one for @Marian Schedenig ;) 

And ok ok, last one I promise.  Here's a fantastic cover of the Stones by Cat Power

17 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Anyone have any favorite covers that radically differ from the original? Two of mine just happen to be Bowie covers.

Here's one:

A new Weezer album came out today.  I was so repulsed by the pre-release singles, I’m not even going to listen to it :(.  Really a shame after i loved their last two albums.

What about you, @Jay?  You planning on giving it a shot?

I'm pretty sure I haven't heard any Weezer since the Red Album (a friend was still a fan during that time and I only heard it through him), and haven't bought one since the Green Album, and haven't legitimately loved a song since "Death and Destruction".  They've completely fallen off my radar.

Since my curiosity was inflated, I looked up "Weekend Woman" and thought it was actually pretty decent.

On 10/27/2017 at 6:10 PM, Disco Stu said:

A new Weezer album came out today.  I was so repulsed by the pre-release singles, I’m not even going to listen to it :(.  Really a shame after i loved their last two albums.

What about you, @Jay?  You planning on giving it a shot?

We heard their newest single driving around in the car on XM over the weekend.  It was pretty bad, but not as bad as that atrocious "feels like summer" single :pukeface:

I SUPPOSE I'll check out the album because why not, but I'm starting to really believe they only have two great albums (blue and Pinkerton) and have just been nothing but a sine wave of good and bad songs ever since with no other completely strong album (though the red album is actually really good all the way through, the only exception to the rule)

My categorization

Stone Cold, All-Time Rock Classics

Blue Album

Pinkerton

Albums I Adore Unconditionally, But Recognize Aren't "Objective" Classics

Green

Maladroit

Good Albums I Have A Lot of Personal Affection For

EWBAITE

White

Album I've Grown to Respect, But Don't Have Much Personal Affection For

Red

Garbage, With At Most One Ok Song Each

Raditude

Hurley

Make Believe

I'd say

Blue Album - brilliant album all the way through

Pinkerton - brilliant album all the way through

Green Album - great singles, completely boring and/or forgettable songs otherwise

Maladroit - great singles, completely boring and/or forgettable songs otherwise

Make Believe - great singles, completely boring and/or forgettable songs otherwise

Red Album - great album all the way through, though adding "King" to the main album in place of "The Angle and the One" would have made it even better

Raditude - great singles, completely boring and/or forgettable songs otherwise

Hurley - great singles, completely boring and/or forgettable songs otherwise

Everything Will Be Alright in the End - "Back to the Shack" is a good song I enjoy very much, don't remember anything else about this album even though I've probably listened to it at least twice

White Album - Don't remember what any single sounds like, I think i listened to the album once and it did nothing for me

Pacific Daydream - Both singles are bad, haven't heard the album yet

It is a fact commonly acknowledged that Blue/Pinkerton is the only thing all Weezer fans agree on :) 

In other "90s Rock Legacy Artists" news, the new Beck album is very boring.  But I haven't liked a Beck album in 12 years.   He's had a few alright singles in that time period though.

When it comes to Beck albums, I love Odelay, Midnight Vultures, and Guero, and then just a handful of singles otherwise (Loser, Beercan, Deadweight, Nausea, Cellphone's Dead, Think I'm in Love, Timebomb, Chemtrails, Gamma Ray...)

So you're more into his "ADD genre collage" albums.  I love those three as well, but my favorites are Mutations and Sea Change.  So you'd think I'd have loved Morning Phase, the 2014 sequelish to Sea Change but it made me fall asleep.

Available on Spotify.

I don't like when they take the voice track of deceased artists and they paste symphonic music to it.

They did it with my Roy.

For some songs, it's more "natural" than others, because Roy often used string sections in his original recordings... but I'm not sure about the principle. :mellow:

Anyway, if it can help him to be discovered by a new public, that's the only thing that matters.

So this band Greta Van Fleet is apparently getting very popular.

There have been a lot of retro rock bands over the past 30 years, some great ones even.  Bands that specifically want to sound like the 1970s.  The Killers, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Black Mountain, The Black Crowes, why so many with 'Black' in the band name?

But these bands have generally taken influence from a large number of classic hard rock bands and synthesized them with something resembling an original voice.

Greta Van Fleet's got only Led Zeppelin.  It's very clear that they specifically want to sound like JUST LED ZEPPELIN.  They should call themselves Led Zeppelin 2.  The singer sounds like he should just be a Robert Plant tribute act.

It's eerie and I don't like it actually.

Speaking of Led Zeppelin (see my post above), today is the 46th anniversary of the release of Led Zeppelin IV/Untitled/Zoso/Four Symbols/Whatever the Hell You Wanna Call it

When I was 13 (when this classic album was only 29 years old) I was obsessed with "The Battle of Evermore" especially.  It dovetailed nicely with my burgeoning Tolkien love.

9 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Speaking of Led Zeppelin (see my post above), today is the 46th anniversary of the release of Led Zeppelin IV/Untitled/Zoso/Four Symbols/Whatever the Hell You Wanna Call it

When I was 13 (when this classic album was only 29 years old) I was obsessed with "The Battle of Evermore" especially.  It dovetailed nicely with my burgeoning Tolkien love.

Dediniteky a top 10 record for me.

Timeless. There’s not a bad second on it. 

I dunno.  It's amazing, but it's not my favorite LZ record.  I always skip "Four Sticks."  I bet I've listened to that one all the way through less than 5 times in the past 5 years.  The low point that holds it back from being perfect front-to-back in my eyes.

Yea, I agree with Disco Stu; Four Sticks is easily the worst song on the album.  Years ago when I was filling up my first iPod with songs, not full albums, I put every song from Untitled on there except Four Sticks.  I think the only album where every song made it was Tom Petty's Greatest Hits.  Oh, maybe American Idiot too

Yeah 'III' is just the most consistently awesome for me.  My "personal favorite" LZ album is and forever will be Physical Graffiti, which I love at least in part because it's messy and inconsistent.

Oh, I really dislike how when their 8 new songs were too long for a standard LP, they grabbed outtakes from prior albums and cobbled together a 2LP set.  I'd prefer if they just made the album 7 songs and released the 8th as a bside, and the older songs remained vaulted until deluxe editions of the albums they were intended for

It doesn't flow like a good album to me, and none of the older songs are as good as the new ones!

Man, In The Light is an amazing track

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

III is the Led Zeppelin album for me that I can just listen to front to back and love every second of.

I knew you’d say III, somehow I knew it!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

It doesn't flow like a good album to me, and none of the older songs are as good as the new ones!

Man, In The Light is an amazing track

Agreed! And as we all know the album producer is basically god!

11 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

I knew you’d say III, somehow I knew it!

Is it not amazing?

Anyway, as I said it's not actually my favorite.  Just my pick for best.  Physical Graffiti is one of my favorite rock albums ever!  Forget the haters!