The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

This is rumour control; here are the facts.

LED ZEPPELIN IV? HOUSES OF THE HOLY? PHYSICAL GRAFFITI?

These are all good records, to be sure, but every Led Zep record genuflects at the altar of IN THROUGH THE OUT DOOR.

IN THE EVENING. FOOL IN THE RAIN. CAROUSELAMBRA. ALL MY LOVE. I'M GONNA CRAWL.

M'lud, the case for the defence rests :)

1. Physical Graffiti

2. III

3. IV

4. II

5. Houses

6. I

7. In Through the Out Door

8. Presence

I don't care what anyone says, and I've heard every argument, Coda will never ever count to me.  It is not a main Led Zeppelin album.

Holy shit!

So, last night I was driving home from work and the film score CD I was listening to ended with ~5 minutes left to home, so I figured I'd flip over to FM radio, something I RARELY do ever these days.  On a channel that plays a mix of classic rock and modern rock, I heard what sounded like Led Zeppelin so I left it there.  As it went on I realized I didn't recognize it, yet the singer HAD To be Robert Plant from what I could tell.  I figured it must be some Robert Plant solo career song I've never heard or something, so I Shazamed it and it turned out to be a new band called Greta Van Fleet.

While painting the downstairs last night we listened to their whole album (technically a double EP since its only 8 songs) and these guys fucking rock, ya'll!  And they sound exactly like Led Zeppelin the entire album.

Seriously though, check out this song, its awesome!

I vaguelly recalled @Disco Stu bringing them up the other day and what led off the recent Zep discussion and I just went back and re-read it and I'm sad Stu doesn't like them.  Have you heard the whole album, Stu?

It's on Amazon MP3 / Google Play / iTunes / Spotify / etc

https://play.google.com/store/music/album?id=Bl6pgvtzp5ezdaluyjxupg2muzi

https://itunes.apple.com/by/album/1301642469

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07743SG4T

https://open.spotify.com/album/6uSnHSIBGKUiW1uKQLYZ7w

As the album went on I heard not JUST Led Zeppelin, but some Jack White, Wolfmother, and Alabama Shakes too.

I can't normally stand Morrissey's moany vocal chords, but after hearing his latest single about 5 times recently it has really rather grown on me. I hated it for the first couple of plays, so it just goes to show!

Was at a Killers gig last night ... easily one of the most enjoyable I've ever been to, with a setlist well-balanced between selections from Wonderful Wonderful and their 'greatest hits'. 

Excellent work, Mr Flowers and co! :D 

• 2 weeks later...

Tom Waits and Kathleen Brennan have remastered six of their albums, with Orphans coming in 2018.

Makes me wish I didn’t just buy Mule Variations and Orphans back in August!

But it gives me an excuse to expand my discography with Alice, Blood Money, and  Glitter And Doom Live. I’ll also check out the new mix on Real Gone, but will pass on Bad As Me for now. 

• 3 weeks later...

Was playing guitar earlier so decided to listen to a bit of this. 

Not even the biggest fan of this genre but every now and again it can be fun!

Screen Shot 2017-12-24 at 141749.jpg

On 03/12/2017 at 1:48 AM, Muad'Dib said:

Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!

Any time you fancing posting ROLAND THE HEADLESS THOMPSON GUNNER, SEARCHING FOR A HEART, MY SHIT'S FUCKED UP, BACK IN THE HIGH LIFE, LAWYERS GUNS AND MONEY, or WEREWOLVES OF LONDON, feel free :)

That's lovely, Alex!

Just got Roger Waters' IS THIS THE LIFE WE REALLY WANT? for Christmas. Pretty good album! Certainly better than I had expected after the dismal CA IRA.

Couldn't play the track, for some reason, but I hear it now. It's lovely, indeed.

On 28/12/2017 at 10:19 AM, Thor said:

That's lovely, Alex!

Just got Roger Waters' IS THIS THE LIFE WE REALLY WANT? for Christmas. Pretty good album! Certainly better than I had expected after the dismal CA IRA.

ÇA IRA isn't that bad.

I like ITTLWRW? It has some nice throwbacks to ATOM HEART MOTHER/MEDDLE Floyd.

RADIO K.A.O.S. will always rule.

• 2 weeks later...

That's always sad to hear that a musician is going deaf.

Charles Aznavour has problems too since many years, he had to completely learn to sing again with his earings aids.

Now, he wear them everytime and a friend of mine who saw him recently (yesterday in fact), said to me, it's becoming hard to have a conversation with him in a public place, where there it's a little bit noisy.

39 minutes ago, Bespin said:

That's always sad to hear that a musician is going deaf.

What? Exsqueeze me? Baking powder?

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

There's a big difference between AHM and Meddle, Richard.

Anyway, APP and Orson Welles ... Finally together!

I never said there wasn't. All I said was that ITTLWRW contains elements of both.

That video's all psychobabble rap, to me.