The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

On 29.12.2017 at 4:48 PM, Alexcremers said:

Are you familiar with Chris Rainbow's solo albums, Thor? 

R-3314389-1426979346-4285.mpo.jpg

No, not yet.

I'm out of this thread for a few weeks, and you guys start quoting lyrics from my second favourite band of all time!

On 29.12.2017 at 5:05 PM, Richard said:

ÇA IRA isn't that bad.

I like ITTLWRW? It has some nice throwbacks to ATOM HEART MOTHER/MEDDLE Floyd.

RADIO K.A.O.S. will always rule.

I can't get into CA IRA, but I've only played it all the way through -- like -- twice over the years.

I like ITTLWRW too. But for me, AMUSED TO DEATH will always tower on top. For a myriad of reasons (it's one of -- if not THE -- very first CDs I got).

For laughs and giggles, I've rehearsed the following APP songs for karaoke purposes:

"Eye in the Sky"

"Don't Answer Me"

"Silence and I"

"Old and Wise"

"What Goes Up"

Problem is, very few places have them, and they're not exactly party poppers.

47 minutes ago, Richard said:

OLD AND WISE is nice to sing, but one has to get that right amount of pathos, and wistfulness.

Thor, try YOU'RE GONNA GET YOUR FINGERS BURNED or STEP BY STEP. PRIME TIME, STEREOTOMY, or LET'S TALK ABOUT ME might work.

Yeah, I've tried all of them (the ones I can find karaoke versions of on Youtube, that is).

"Old and Wise" is a great song, but extremely difficult to sing. The high registers are almost impossible at times. I'm not Colin Blunstone!

• 2 weeks later...

A Masterpiece of the Québécois répertoire.

Because of the long song "Un incident à Bois-des-Filion" on side two of the album "Où est passée la noce?", Beau Dommage has traditionally been classified as a progressive rock group since the 1970s by fans of that genre.

Un incident à Bois-des-Filion (1975), a songcycle of 20 minutes 29 sec., whose three distinct points of view (and corresponding musical themes) fill the complete second album side before resolving, interwined, during the finale.

"I am in love with a girl who drowned herself between two islands..."

What on earth is this :lol:

"Ameruca".

For one moment, I honestly thought that the man in the video was going to sink to his knees, and shout: "Damn them. Damn them all to Hell!".

Sorry sunshine, our loved ones are not "with us in a different way". They are not watching over us, as angels, and they can't help anybody, because they are well and truly dead, killed by a lying, avaricious, bloodthirsty, organisation called the United States government.

• 3 weeks later...

Difficult, Alex.

The Mitchell sounds early, and hesitant.

It lacks the sophistication of songs on COURT AND SPARK, THE HISSING OF SUMMER LAWNS, and HERJIRA, and there's a "Neil Young" quality to her voice.

ON HORSEBACK is pretty, but it's definitely an add-on. I usually turn the CD off, after pt. 2. Still, it's better than fluff such as PICTURES IN THE DARK, and RITE OF MAN, and it does evoke the damp, and "brown" feel, of England in the 70s.

All in all, a draw :)

51 minutes ago, Richard said:

Difficult, Alex.

The Mitchell sounds early, and hesitant.

It lacks the sophistication of songs on COURT AND SPARK, THE HISSING OF SUMMER LAWNS, and HERJIRA, and there's a "Neil Young" quality to her voice.

ON HORSEBACK is pretty, but it's definitely an add-on. I usually turn the CD off, after pt. 2. Still, it's better than fluff such as PICTURES IN THE DARK, and RITE OF MAN, and it does evoke the damp, and "brown" feel, of England in the 70s.

All in all, a draw :)

But you did get the link between the two, right Richard?

47 minutes ago, Denise Bryson said:

Anyone else heard the SACD multichannel version of Tubular Bells? I was thinking of picking it up.

I have the SACD but I'm a stereo man. Sorry!

I have all but four Oldfield CDs -- THE KILLING FIELDS, INCANTATIONS, HERGEST RIDGE and a BEST OF CD from the 90s. He's very uneven, IMO. Some things I like a lot, others I outright dislike (and that includes elements of all of my Oldfield CDs and beyond). 

But in a contest with Joni Mitchell, he'll win any day of the week. Never been a big fan of her or that particular genre.

I was very much into Oldfield when I was a teen. Later, I only wanted his first three albums (his holy trinitry) on CD. However, I still have Incantations and Platinum on vinyl. I was a major Joni Mitchell fan when I was in my 20s and 30s. The Hissing Of Summer Lawns is a masterpiece. Back then I also liked Ricky Lee Jones.

41NJRSN6KDL.jpg

13 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

But you did get the link between the two, right Richard?

No, I did not. What is the link?

14 hours ago, Denise Bryson said:

Anyone else heard the SACD multichannel version of Tubular Bells? I was thinking of picking it up.

I've got the big box-set that came out in

(I think) 2008. This contains a 5.1 DVD-A. It's good. If you like listening to music in 5.1, then definitely buy it.

Fyi, HERGEST RIDGE, OMMADAWN, and FIVE MILES OUT also sound good, in 5.1.

12 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I was very much into Oldfield when I was a teen. Later, I only wanted his first three albums...

41NJRSN6KDL.jpg

As I'm sure you know, Alex, OMMADAWN was Oldfield's fourth album :)

What are you talkling about, Richard? Forth?

I'm surprised you don't hear the link between these two songs. I guess I sometimes overestimate people. Ah, well ...

Ahum.

The discography expert that I am (I think) will just add that we must say "Ommadawn is the third STUDIO album" of Mike Oldfield.

The Orchestral Tubular Bells (1975) is considered a live album.

23 minutes ago, Richard said:

So.. where is THE ORCHESTRAL TUBULAR BELLS placed?

As a David Bedford orchestral arrangement of Mike Oldfield's first album. It doesn't get a place in his studio or live discography. Tip (so you don't embarrass yourself in the future): When fans of Mike Oldfield talk about Oldfield's first three album they refer to the Holy Trinity or:

Tubular Bells (1973)

Hergest Ridge (1974)

Ommadawn (1975)

Bonus tip: Never say that Platinum (1979) is his masterpiece. There are boundaries to being contrary, Richard, even amongst pipe smoking pop music connoisseurs with white long moustaches.

Hope this was helpful,

Alex

Not counting THE SALLYANGIE, it was the third album released under his own name. That makes it #3, in my books.

I bet you don't even count EXPOSED. Oh, the humanity!

Of course I'm aware of the "holy trinity". I was listening to Mike Oldfield, when your grandfather was still in diapers, and, yes, I'm not ashamed to say that I love PLATINUM! It's my fourth favourite MO.

Ps, I've never smoked a pipe, in my life, and I don't own a moustache!

I saw Portugal. The Man last night. It was an okay concert. I really enjoyed the first 30-45 minutes, but once they oddly played Feel It Still in the middle of their set list, the rest of the show became a real drag. Perhaps it was because the terrible opener played for nearly an hour. 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know about you guys, but I really like Eric Clapton's work on this one.

About as good as Phil Collins ever got, too, post 1980 anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

Two great Roy Orbison LPs today (that I reconstructed using the best CD sources we have yet).

His first LP (1961), featuring pretty rare dubbed versions of his first recordings, and then a famous genuine compilation from 1972.

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « at the Rock house Roy Orbison »

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « all-time Roy Orbison »

CDs used for those reconstructions:

- Roy Orbison Mono and Unprocessed Volume 1: Original Releases 1956-62 (2014, Inverse Label)

- The Soul of Rock and Roll (2008, Sony BMG)