The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

• 3 weeks later...

I can't seem to shake this song this week. The backing vocals together the zither ... 

Fleetwood Mac or ... when chart music was still good.

Is that Lindsey Buckingham on the guitar at the end of the song? Wow!

It's a great track @Alexcremers, from what is generally known as "the forgotten Mac record". Personally, I like MIRAGE. I liked it enough to splash out on the box set 18 months ago.

On 17/04/2018 at 11:30 PM, Muad'Dib said:

"Sheer bloody poetry" (The Times) :lol:

Woah! What an underrated record!

BEETHOVEN (I LOVE TO LISTEN TO) is fantastic. IMO, it doesn't quite reach the heights of BE YOURSELF TONIGHT, but, in a strange way, its a successor to 1984. At the very least, its better than REVENGE, by a country mile.

Anybody ever listened to the music of Sasha Spielberg, Steven's daughter?  She apparently has been releasing music for many years now.

Not heard Sasha's stuff, but I've heard a lot of stuff by Williams' grandkids. Pretty talented fellows, especially The Belle Brigade.

51 minutes ago, Richard said:

@Thor, have you heard anything by Vinyl Williams?

Yes, but not on album. Rather, I've heard most of the music videos and stuff he has on Youtube. Kinda bizarre indie art rock.

The arrival of warm weather this week means it's officially the start of ELO season.

I'm a bit of an ELO obsessive.  My ranking of their albums I just threw together in 30 seconds :) 

1. Time
2. Out of the Blue
3. A New World Record
4. Discovery
5. Eldorado
6. Face the Music
7. On the Third Day
8. Secret Messages

9. The Electric Light Orchestra
10. Xanadu Side 2
11. Balance of Power
12. ELO 2
13. Alone in the Universe
14. Zoom

(the last two don't really count as ELO albums IMO, but are Jeff Lynne solo albums he credited as ELO for marketability.  Still enjoyable listens both)

((If I was cheeky I'd have included The Move's Message to the Country))

A toughie!

I'd reverse 2 and 3, because, imho, A NEW WORLD RECORD is far more "mature" than OUT OF THE BLUE. Ok, so OOTB has THE WHALE, and BIRMINGHAM BLUES, but ANWR has TIGHTROPE, and SHANGRI-LA, but then TIME has ANOTHER HEART BREAKS, TWILIGHT, and HERE IS THE NEWS... Agh!

I'd love to hear the proposed 2 LP set of SECRET MESSAGES.

Ps, you are exactly right about ZOOM: it's terrible. 

10 years ago, Out of the Blue would've been my number 1.  I love it because it's the most "ELO" album ELO ever made.  It can be brilliant and frustrating, concise and long-winded, fun and a bit tiresome.  It's basically their White Album in that way.  The fullest representation of the band.

But Time just kept working its way into my heart.  My sentimental favorite.  The deep cut that only true fans recognize the brilliance of.

Agreed, in every sense. I took to TIME from the moment I bought it, in 1981. For me, it was their most "immediate" record, and, like you say, it's a deep cut.

Don't get me wrong; I like OOTB. I just can't forgive Lynne for JUNGLE (can they dance?!).

4 minutes ago, Richard said:

Agreed, in every sense. I took to TIME from the moment I bought it, in 1981. For me, it was their most "immediate" record, and, like you say, it's a deep cut.

Don't get me wrong; I like OOTB. I just can't forgive Lynne for JUNGLE (can they dance?!).

Speaking of deep cuts, Balance of Power may be a not-great album but "So Serious" is totally one of their best ever singles.  Along with "The Lights Go Down" from Time I also see it is a precursor to Lynne's late 80s Full Moon Fever/Traveling Wilburys sound.

On 5/1/2018 at 1:34 PM, Disco Stu said:

Anybody ever listened to the music of Sasha Spielberg, Steven's daughter?  She apparently has been releasing music for many years now.

On 5/1/2018 at 1:39 PM, Jay said:

@Koray Savas is a fan I believe

I inquired about her music once when Alex brought it up in a thread. He accused me of being interested only for her looks. Then I think I sampled some of her work on iTunes, and didn't like any of it :P

I discovered this contemporary surf rock band on Facebook and really dig it. Got me to listen to the Pulp Fiction soundtrack for the first time in years. They have a sweet cover of "Toxic" on YouTube:

Original song:

4 minutes ago, Richard said:

I've heard that Phil Collins has become quite I'll, while recording his new album. He's developed a stutter, and he's going to...sue-sue-sue the studio.

People have been banned for less than this.

From the category of:

Weird Pop Music Only Disco Stu Likes Probably

I think Ariel Pink is one of the best psych-pop songwriters currently recording

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

From the category of:

Weird Pop Music Only Disco Stu Likes Probably

I think Ariel Pink is one of the best psych-pop songwriters currently recording

Reminds me a bit of Bleachers, whose sound fits right in with an ‘80s John Hughes soundtrack. 

Yeah I thought that Bleachers album was pretty good!  A little slickly produced for my usual taste, but can't deny the talent.

Pink is very much a bizarro skeevy outsider artist who likes to be intentionally off-putting, but then randomly has these absolutely glorious melodies in the middle of the grime.  Let just say, guaranteed no famous actors will ever appear in one of his videos.

I like it because it's so proudly weird. 

Fair enough!

I also realized tonight that Spring 2018 marks 20 years since The White Stripes released their very first single, "Let's Shake Hands".  Huge band for me in the teens and 20s.

Happy 20th Birthday White Stripes!

5 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Anyone ever listen to random Japanese rock and pop?

Ha, ha...no, can't say that I do. Is that a thing?

15 hours ago, Richard said:

I've heard that Phil Collins has become quite ill, while recording his new album. He's developed a stutter, and he's going to...sue-sue-sue the studio.

Anything that causes him to go back into retirement!

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

Great music can exist in other languages, Thor. 

I meant checking out Japanese rock music on random. You expressed it as if it were a "thing" to do.