The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

2 hours ago, Richard said:

remaster

Oh, no, I hope they didn't destroy the album's original dynamics.

If leaving me is easy

And you know, coming back is harder

BANG!

If leaving me is easy

And you know, coming back is harder

Ha-ha!

The first time that I heard that bit, I literally - literally - fell off of the stool that I was sitting on. Mind you, it was about half-past midnight, and I'd had "a few" to drink... IMO, the only record that approaches anywhere FC, is the PHIL COLLINS BIG BAND.

The new Interpol album

kaesamCMBcMNkooaOGL1XO_fALvYQy4CV0XPxQjB

This is one of the big bands of my high school years.  I remember buying Turn on the Bright Lights at a Best Buy in 2002 and being really excited when Antics finally followed.  Anyway, I haven't listened to a single second of music they've put out since 2005 until now.  It's not bad!  They pretty much sound the same, which is fine.  I'll probably listen to it twice and never again though.  Why bother when I can just put on "Slow Hands" or "NYC" for the thousandth time?

6 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I never liked divas.

They can be more than a bit much. 

Actually, I'm not really a big fan of Celine Dion.  That song and My Heart Will Go On are the only two I really like.

I absolutely cannot stand Mariah Carey.

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Muse sucks, they've always sucked, and this album cover sucks.  So tired of the Stranger Things/Ready Player One everything must look like neon Struzan and Tron trend

All that 80s/tech/scifi stuff perfectly fits their modus operandi though. And I'm a fan of all their albums since Absolution (never spent enough time with the first two to get overly familiar with them aside from a few individual songs). Their last one was a sort of stripped down back to the roots thing, so it's interesting to see them return to scifi-er territory.

The cover is a far cry from their earlier Hipgnosis designs though.

On 8/29/2018 at 8:08 AM, Disco Stu said:

The new Interpol album

This is one of the big bands of my high school years.  I remember buying Turn on the Bright Lights at a Best Buy in 2002 and being really excited when Antics finally followed.  Anyway, I haven't listened to a single second of music they've put out since 2005 until now.  It's not bad!  They pretty much sound the same, which is fine.  I'll probably listen to it twice and never again though.  Why bother when I can just put on "Slow Hands" or "NYC" for the thousandth time?

One of my high school friends really loved that band. Stole Antics off him and while I liked it, never pursued any of their other material. "Slow Hands" is indeed great!

25 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

One of my high school friends really loved that band. Stole Antics off him and while I liked it, never pursued any of their other material. "Slow Hands" is indeed great!

FWIW, their debut album is significantly better than Antics

I just recommended this album for a friend that just break-up with his boyfriend.

What a great album. The darkness and the light. A posthumous album released in 1992, 4 years after Roy Orbison's passing. Some singles, some demos finished especially for this album.

I listened this album (and Mystery Girl, 1988) for months and months, over and over when I was a young adult...

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « king of hearts roy orbison »

I guess the same as with the 2009 remaster of Sgt. Pepper.

It'll be nice to have an edition one can actually listen to with headphones without earbleeds from extreme stereo separation, and I guess it'll have a buttload of extras.

Tom Petty.... with The Bangles singing backing vocals!

Petty later regretted not including the song on Full Moon Fever (with the backing vocals a bit higher in the mix), apparently believing that it could have been a hit single.  I am inclined to agree.  Complications arising from The Bangles' breakup were likely at play.

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Talking about The Beatles, Paul McCartney's 'I Don't Know' (Egypt Station) has been playing inside my head for about a week now. 

I heard FUH YOU (or whatever it's called) and thought "Geez, how the mighty have fallen". A lot of it is pretty good, though.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

This is wonderful stuff, Lee.

Try the whole album.

THE YARD GOES ON FOREVER, and A TRAMP SHINING are great.

He can't sing, that's for sure, but, somehow, it adds to the atmosphere of the record.

6 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Talking about The Beatles, Paul McCartney's 'I Don't Know' (Egypt Station) has been playing inside my head for about a week now. 

I'll have to give that album a listen over the weekend.

As tempting as the 7 Disc box is, I'll probably go with the 3 disc one, it's not as overkill, will go nicely with the 2 disc Pepper I have, and will probably be closer to my price range.

Edit: And even though the sessions are much more my thing than those Esher demos... Argghh...

Well, they only have the 50th anniversary editions of Pepper and this so far, I guess Abbey Road should follow next year. Beyond that, it'd be weird to go back filling holes with these lavish sets, but who knows, maybe with more pedestrian editions? It'll be a disgrace if they do Abbey Road Rejects (sorry, Let it Be) but not Rubber Soul, Revolver or even Magical Mystery Tour.

I never said I didn't like other ones, but hey, you have to pick a top 3 somehow, you know?

Come to think of it, I probably like Magical Mystery Tour as a whole more than White Album as a whole.  

But pick the best 40 minutes of stuff from the White Album and you've have a damn fine album.  Damn fine.

@Jay,

Are you just listing the original double EP, of MMT, or do you mean the LP, with the extra stuff?

The top 3 Beatles albums looks like this:

1/ REVOLVER

2/ REVOLVER

3/ REVOLVER

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

...but pick the best 40 minutes of stuff from the White Album and you've have a damn fine album.  Damn fine.

That's something that both fans and critics have been trying to do, for the last 50 years.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I mean the US LP version of Magical Mystery Tour.  Hit after hit after hit!

MMT is definitely one of my favourites, and I don't even know the US version.

Would there be any significant need for another remastering of the Mono albums? (Aside from bonus tracks and other goodies, obviously)