The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Who are you implying is actually Canada‘s finest?  Neil Young?  I agree, if so.

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Well it's not Celine 'all the vocal histronics but no discernible genuine emotion' Dion, that's for damn sure.

Guys, take a long look at my avatar...;)

19 hours ago, Richard said:

Guys, take a long look at my avatar...;)

I knew what you meant, but I rarely let an opportunity for a dig at those 'all technique but no soul' types go past (see also Mariah Carey).  

• 2 weeks later...

So, the White Album is the Fab4 throwing shit at the wall, not really caring whether it sticks - which somehow still becomes very good. Probably would work better as a single LP with selected highlights, but still has a charm in the concept of hearing what kind of experimenting went on in the studio. 

Like with Pepper last year, my very very first reaction is not absolute enthusiasm at all, but I'm 100% sure it will grow on me and I will love it when I'll already know the lyrics by heart. I don't mean that in a "forcing myself to like it because I already paid money for it" way, it's just still strange and new, I have to get acquainted with it. Maybe I just need to get used to the album as a format instead of DIY cherrypicked best-of compilations.

@Holko, which version have you got: standard issue, or the huge box?

Most people agree that it would make a killer single album, but no-one can agree on what to include. Any thoughts?

"I'll love it when I'll...know the lyrics..."?

#Cream tangerine, montelemar. Ginger sling with a pineapple heart#.

If they don't get ya, then nuthin' will!

15 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

But the "common" folk don't understand them as well as you do, right?

What is there to understand? You either like what you hear or you don't.

16 minutes ago, Richard said:

BEATLES FOR SALE wasn't, when first released, and a lot of contemporary critics weren't all that taken with REVOLVER.

One critic (whose name I can't remember) called LET IT BE a "cardboard tombstone".

Revolver was too progressive for some critics at the time but Revolver is wildly popular and often cited as their best album.

CHRIST, I still adore this 27 years on.

It's the track that knocked Bryan Adams off the UK No. 1 spot after 'Everything I Do' had been there for 15 weeks.  

It's got Larry Mullen laying down a beat that wouldn't shame a hip-hop track.

It's got Edge playing his BALLS off, heavy AF riffs and knocking out a solo that you can ... well, you can somehow hear it GLEAMING. And he does a down-camera look towards the end of the video that suggests he'd fucking END you, sonny. 

It's got Bono's vocals ranging from a subterranean growl to his 'fat lady sings' falsetto.

BLOODY MARVELLOUS.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A song for those people whose minds are as healthy as their bodies (!) :lol:

Happy Rush Day, everybody!

All together, now:

Bam bam. Ba ba baaaam. Bam. Ba-ba-bam. Ba bam. Ba bam. Ba bam. Ba-ba bam ba-ba bam. Ba bam (etc.).

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of a random post, but yesterday we listened to a top 100 called The Timeless here and I discovered a song that moved me more than any music I've heard in a long time: Martha by Jon Waits. Hearing The River by Springsteen again and the full ending to Purple Rain by Prince was equally great. I need to listen to less film music.

For some reason, this musician popped into my head last night after having not listened to him for a couple of years.

Man I love that shuffle feel change  around 1:39 after the crescendo. 

Damn Brazil knew how to pop out great "pop" artists, between dudes and dudettes like Horta, Milton Nascimento, Caetano Veloso, Flora Purim etc. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Richard said:

Has it got any of that silly stuff that he did with Jeff Lynne? *

Oh, and that version of CRYING was ruined by kd Laing.

* not The Travelling Willburys. They were good.

The duet with k.d. is ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS.

Silly stuff?

🤔

15 hours ago, Bespin said:

The duet with k.d. is ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS.

Silly stuff?

🤔

15 hours ago, SteveMc said:

Take that back!

I love that stuff.:pfft:

Oh, all right. I'm sorry. Really, though, the stuff he did in the late '80s can't compete with the likes of OH PRETTY WOMAN.

8 minutes ago, Richard said:

Oh, all right. I'm sorry. Really, though, the stuff he did in the late '80s can't compete with the likes of OH PRETTY WOMAN.

Roy Orbison died at 52 just few months before releasing the best album he recorded in all his career : Mystery Girl (1989).

A couple of Queen albums I heard recently:

The Miracle

Rather strong album, less dated, if you will, than their two or three previous ones.  I don't at all like the first two songs on here, and several of the others are a little forgettable.  The singles are rather strong.  "Breakthru" and "I Want It All" are favorites.  "The Miracle" (especially) and "Scandal" are rather good too.  "The Invisible Man" veers too close to Ghostbusters territory.  Slick bassline, though.  The best track by a considerable margin is "Was It All Worth It?".  I think that one holds up quite well indeed.

Innuendo

This is my favorite Queen album.  Perhaps not their best, of course.  Certainly they do not break the kind of creative ground that they did in the 70s here.  It is a very professional album that finds the band, all members, in slick form.  You can argue, however, that this album contains Mercury's best vocal performances, all factors considered.  How he was able to deliver given his illness is a revelation.  

The title track is quite good indeed.  "These Are The Days Of Our Lives", and  "I'm Going Slightly Mad" showcase different sides to Mercury's voice at this point. (Adore the guitar solo in the former)  "The Show Must Go On" is a veritable powerhouse.   "Headlong" is quite okay.  As is "I Can't Live With You."   Mercury's "Delilah" does not belong here, but the poor chap wasn't going to make any more solo albums.

For my money, the two best, or at least most interesting songs on the album are "Ride The Wild Wind" and "Don't Try So Hard."  Had to put those two on repeat for awhile.

Overall, the album still sounds rather fresh indeed.       

At the time of Innuendo's release, the fact that Freddie was dying was only known to Queen and their inner circle. Makes listening to 'The Show Must Go On' and 'These Are The Days Of Our Lives' nowadays all the more poignant.