The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

I never got the issues with Babel. Songs like Below My Feet, Ghosts That We Knew or the title track are awesome and the album feels pretty coherent. 

Oh yeah, and it was a minor critical success as well and won the Grammy for Album of the Year.

A little more love perhaps? 😉

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Their second album was so bad I never even checked out their third.  Loved the first tho.

Bad? I thought it's problem was simply that it was just more of the same. But I also lost interest with that.

On 6/7/2019 at 9:31 PM, Richard said:

Better get yer skates on, then! :)

I first heard IT'S A HARD WORLD, on some "fuck off" hi-fi, in London, about 21 years ago. I bought the CD the next day, and I've never looked back.

SLOW MOTION is rather hard to come by, but I keep looking. FREE AS A BIRD  is good, as is BROTHER WHERE YOU BOUND?

FREE IS A BIRD is very uneven. Suffers a bit from 'over-production' with too many samples going on. With a few exceptions (like the title song, which is actually an old song), it feels a little 'factory produced'.

BROTHER WHERE YOU BOUND is better. It's big and muscular and 80s prog rock-style, but I love it -- including the title track, which is actual film music, going through a set of different styles. Also features the ony and only David Gilmour on guitars.

Maybe bad was the wrong choice of words; Disappointing is probably more accurate.  It wasn't a terrible piece of garbage, it just was nowhere near the level of their debut.  And that can be fine, but I really didn't find enough to return to.  The song on the album I liked most was their cover of The Boxer!   I Will Wait and Lover of the LIght are perfectly fine singles though, for sure.

I remember hearing they dropped the folk sound and went for more straightforward rock on their third album, but I never heard it.  Don't recall those singles being played on XM much I don't think and I never hear FM anywhere any more

Am I the only one who thinks Diamonds Are Forever is better than Goldfinger? It's more melancholic and you can play it on the piano as an instrumental.

On 6/10/2019 at 5:00 PM, SteveMc said:

Yes, it's an interesting record, isn't it? It doesn't fit into their cannon, easily. Mind you, there's some great stuff on it - HOME BY THE SEA, MAMA, TAKING IT ALL TOO HARD, and my personal favourite IT'S GONNA GET BETTER (especially in its extended form).

On 6/9/2019 at 4:31 PM, Jay said:

Maybe bad was the wrong choice of words; Disappointing is probably more accurate.  It wasn't a terrible piece of garbage, it just was nowhere near the level of their debut.  And that can be fine, but I really didn't find enough to return to.  The song on the album I liked most was their cover of The Boxer!   I Will Wait and Lover of the LIght are perfectly fine singles though, for sure.

I remember hearing they dropped the folk sound and went for more straightforward rock on their third album, but I never heard it.  Don't recall those singles being played on XM much I don't think and I never hear FM anywhere any more

Yeah they dropped a lot of the banjo riffing for albums 3 and 4. Like I said, you should check them out. Nothing groundbreaking, but very enjoyable. 

Wow, he and Rutherford are the same age, but Phil looks like he has at least 15 years more mileage one him.  

He's still got some voice left, though.

On 6/15/2019 at 3:29 AM, Alexcremers said:

Talking about Genesis, Phil's health seems to be going worse ...

He better hold on for a long time. I have tickets for an October show. 

I've liked what I've heard from this group.  Will have to hear more, and from their vocalist Siobhan Maher's solo album. 

I already like a lot of what she did with Debbi Peterson of The Bangles in the 90s.  

10 hours ago, Richard said:

Are you sure that this isn't Asia, crossed with The Cars?

Oh, I never know.

What do you think this crossed with? it's my favorite pop song

It's like soul and funk meets rock. The vocals are so good ie. 3:15

Indeed! It's a new world record for a guitar, but then again, it was used on all the legendary PF albums. His acoustic guitar, a Martin D-35 sold for more than a million and the guitar from the famous solo on Another Brick In The Wall went to a new owner for $580,000. 

This was released today and it's already one of my favorite pop/rock songs of 2019 so far.  No idea if this means Alabama Shakes are no longer thing (it's been 4 years since Sound & Color), but I dig it.

Huh Spotify was recommending that to me and I didn't recognize the name so didn't listen

An album I discovered a few weeks back.  Texas alternative pop/rock group Sixpence None The Richer's self-titled 1997 album, which hit it big in 1999 with the late success of the album's two singles, "Kiss Me" and a cover of The La's "There She Goes"

Some interesting lyrical content on the other songs, which are considerably more substantial.  Pretty solid guitar and bass work throughout.  Leigh Nash's voice is a distinct one, and its tone contrasts quite interestingly with the sometimes prickly lyrics.

They did a nice little Jules et Jim tribute music video to go along with "Kiss Me"'s original release.

Really got into Of Monsters and Men this week.

I'd already heard 'Crystals' from the The Good Dinosaur trailer and 'Dirty Paws' from someone playing it on holiday last year, but something made me look up their two albums on Spotify and now I'm hooked.

Little Talks and Mountain Sound are staples of alternative radio over here

5 hours ago, Richard said:

So...what were JWfaners doing on this very day, and very date, in 1985? 

I wasn't close to being born, but I have revisited the date on several occasions.  

I dare you to find me a more British sounding lyric!

I've heard this about five times over the past fortnight and it's been a growing delight every time. What a comeback for this band.

"A more British sounding lyric"?

Lee, I think that NATIONAL EXPRESS gives this a good run for its money! :lol:

I've also been hearing this on (showing my age, now) Radio 2.

Hanlon's version of THE GOOD LIFE, from GANGSTER NO. 1, is great.

19 minutes ago, Richard said:

"A more British sounding lyric"?

Lee, I think that NATIONAL EXPRESS gives this a good run for its money! :lol:

Aye, and it's about the only viable alternative, right? ;)

2 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Only listened to this album once when it came out and have just stuck to “Hard Times” since. But I recently decided to give it another shot in full and and I’m diggin’ it

Whoa, that's channelin' some strong retro vibes there. Impressive. 

I've been really enjoying the new 24-7 Spyz album, Soundtrack to the Innermost Galaxy. In particular, this track can get me misty-eyed if I'm in a certain mood:

Also been having some fun with Louis Cole: