The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

Thus, my HILARIOUS joke of bringing him up in a popular music thread is still wonderfully effective.

Yes, of course.

Let me ask this, are there any "greats from the 00's,(I really don't know) or all all the greats from previous era's.

John Williams.

Oh, were we talking about popular music?

Actually, I heard the new coldplay song a while ago, and while it is a catchy tune, I DO NOT like the way it is mixed. But then, I don't like the way much of any popular music is mixed. Better than most stuff out there, that's for sure.

John Williams isn't a great from the 00's, he's a great from another era, obviously you didn't understand the question, but yes I was talking popular music not film music.

Sure...'Cause there is no way he could write anything like Violet Hill now-a-days. He was only writing great stuff like that back in the 80's.

I would take John Williams output of the 00's over any other musical artist's (popular, film, or whatever), which means we have one of two options:

1. There are no greats of the 00's.

2. John Williams is a great of the 00's.

Thus, my HILARIOUS joke of bringing him up in a popular music thread is still wonderfully effective.

I'll take Williams's new-millennium work over that of any other composer not named Howard Shore. I'm with you (and at least a few other people on this board) who feel that if he's suffered a drop-off in quality at all, it's been a marginal one. We're in the minority by a damn sight, but I don't mind that too bad.

Anyway, this new Coldplay album is pretty much in the same vein as the single..with the sub orchestral music Quint mentioned.

Burga - who can't stand the Timbaland sound.

Yes, of course.

Thanks, Mark. I knew I could count on you.

Yes, of course.

Thanks, Mark. I knew I could count on you.

That's what I'm here for.

Let me ask this, are there any "greats from the 00's,(I really don't know) or all all the greats from previous era's.

John Williams.

Oh, were we talking about popular music?

Actually, I heard the new coldplay song a while ago, and while it is a catchy tune, I DO NOT like the way it is mixed. But then, I don't like the way much of any popular music is mixed. Better than most stuff out there, that's for sure.

John Williams isn't a great from the 00's, he's a great from another era, obviously you didn't understand the question, but yes I was talking popular music not film music.

Sure...'Cause there is no way he could write anything like Violet Hill now-a-days. He was only writing great stuff like that back in the 80's.

I would take John Williams output of the 00's over any other musical artist's (popular, film, or whatever), which means we have one of two options:

1. There are no greats of the 00's.

2. John Williams is a great of the 00's.

you don't get it, he's a great of the past, that doesn't mean he doesn't do great works today, but saying John Williams is of the 00's is like saying Madonna is or Elton John is, they are great today, but they are not from this current time,

by great of the 00's I mean someone who came into the scene in the 00's. that goes for you to Bryant.

as for the stuff being made today, I'd rather listen to some Jimmy Buffet, or some Elton John, and I still like playing my 23 year old cd of Tears for Fears, Shout, shout, let it all out, these are the things I can do without, come on, I'm talking to you...

I have to say, I am barely listening to anything aside from scores at the moment. Besides some Johnny Cash and some Ramones on my Ipod, everything else is film score. I just don't seem to have the inkling for anything else.

as for the stuff being made today, I'd rather listen to some Jimmy Buffet, or some Elton John, and I still like playing my 23 year old cd of Tears for Fears, Shout, shout, let it all out, these are the things I can do without, come on, I'm talking to you...

This weekend I went out and bought the CD of the Commodore's 1977 double LP live tour album.

Did you hear the album Tears For Fears did a few years ago -- Everybody Loves a Happy Ending? I thought it was terrific; I wish they'd do another one.

• 2 weeks later...

Reviving this thread, the current female soloist sweeping the nation here in the UK is Gabriella Cilmi, a mere 16 years of age and easily talented beyond that number in years.

Has this song reached your country yet?

I was 'meh' after an initial listen, but now I'm hooked - thanks to BBC Radio 1. I've heard this record a million times and the girl is a massive talent in waiting.

I pretty much hate and disregard all mainstream music, but any British band must be good. I liked their song that was on the Garden State soundtrack, and this one is pretty good too.

At least you have an open mind.

Sometimes the ignorance of this board amazes me.

Hey that Amy Winehouse chick sure is in the news alot, is her music any good, she seems to be more popular for her sleaze factor, not to mention high on the list of muscians who are expected to die soon.

Amy Winehouse's music is good and rather distinctive, but she's also a repulsive skank, thanks to her putrid behaviour. A real shame actually, she's on self destruct and she is beyond help from anyone, including her worried father.

Coincidentally, for a sample of the Winehouse style, just click my Gabriella Cilmi link above, since their two styles are so similar that for a while many people thought her record Sweet About Me was actually a Winehouse track, myself included.

I'm not really a fan of popular music; it takes either a very catchy tune or a strong connection with a film/tv show to make me like it, most often the former.

Generally, a song is good in my ears if the chorus would make a great main theme for a score. In fact, as I look through all 300 or so of my song collection, I can't see a single one that doesn't have a great tune. On the recent Coldplay album, I like 3 tracks, and they all have really memorable tunes that hit it exactly right for me.

I really think film music has taken over my life... seriously :)

On the recent Coldplay album, I like 3 tracks, and they all have really memorable tunes that hit it exactly right for me.

You seem to be more understanding than most of the people around here.

I've been listening to the new Coldplay album in my car since getting it, and I've come to the conclusion that it's pretty close to being brilliant. There isn't a single song that I don't like a lot -- and there are several ("Viva la Vida," whatever the second half of "Yes" is called, "Violet Hill," and "Lost!") that I flat-out love.

I'm hoping I can scrape up the money to go see them in Atlanta in November. It's been awhile since I went to a show.

Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, David Bowie, Elton John, Arctic Monkeys, and I guess you could add Coldplay. Nothing is better than British rock.

Don't forget Queen. And, more recently, Muse.

Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, David Bowie, Elton John, Arctic Monkeys, and I guess you could add Coldplay. Nothing is better than British rock.

Don't forget Queen.

Is Queen a British band? Hmm... but anyways, yes, brilliant. I'm burning through the skkkkyyy yeah! 200 degress that's why they call me Mr. Fahrenheeiiiit!

Haha, this thead! JWfan members commenting on pop music is like children commenting on stock exchange. :P

Speak for yourself! Even so, I can totally agree with you ;)

Generally, a song is good in my ears if the chorus would make a great main theme for a score.

Perhaps then you would like this annoyingly catchy song. I lie really - I've against all the odds grown to love the damn thing! As for my reason for quoting you; listen to the sung melody at and after 2:06. The first time I heard it I thought it would make a really lovely secondary theme in a JW score*. Unlike many of the more die-hard members of JW, I consider myself to be a fairly normal and well rounded individual, both musically and well... in The Real World, so for me at least, the obscure connection I made between the two musical mediums is nothing short of a miracle! That's what I call film score fandom!

I've been listening to the new Coldplay album in my car since getting it, and I've come to the conclusion that it's pretty close to being brilliant. "Violet Hill"

Did you happen to hear the BBC Radio 1 Live Lounge cover of that record by The Kooks? Average band, brilliant cover. Better than the Coldplay original, dare I say.

*Original acoustic version of same song here. Some may prefer it to the official release, it's excellent in my humble op.

Tell me about it! But give it time (as I was forced to by damn radio playlists) and you will grow to love it, that is an absolute certainty. It fits the pop music bill perfectly - it refuses to leave one's skull.

That said, I do actually appreciate this song now, its better than your usual drek.

Haha, this thead! JWfan members commenting on pop music is like children commenting on stock exchange.

And what do you know about the stock exchange?

How to count to two?

Scarlett Johansson has made a....shoegaze rock album...

Yeah but she's still hot.

I didn't mean it in a bad way. Its no cashing-in-on-fame Paris Hilton bubblegum pop. But its just....weird.

I really enjoyed the Mamma Mia soundtrack, enough that I bought it. I put this here since its not a score.

I can't wait to see Mrs Wesley sing and dance.

I didn't mean it in a bad way. Its no cashing-in-on-fame Paris Hilton bubblegum pop. But its just....weird.

I heard a clip from her on the web a few weeks ago. It was awful, she can't sing, not even slightly. Luckily, the same article contained a reference to the She & Him album (re: actresses who *can* sing), so I did get some good out of it.

I really enjoyed the Mamma Mia soundtrack, enough that I bought it. I put this here since its not a score.

I can't wait to see Mrs Wesley sing and dance.

I'm looking forward to that movie -- and I suspect it's going to do relatively well up against The Dark Knight.

I heard a clip from her on the web a few weeks ago. It was awful, she can't sing, not even slightly.

Its a textural thing. Its received mixed reviews on Metacritic, but then again some awful albums have been given insanely high ratings on it too. Lol

I haven't listened to anything since, but from what I've read, it's an album of Tom Waits covers. Now people have argued that Waits doesn't "sing" either, but just knows how to use his voice in great ways. The problem is that, at least in the clip I've heard, Johansson *does* try to sing.

Ah well. As long as she stays an actress... :happybday: