The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

Yeah, same guy. 

Talks of a broader more cinematic sound on this one. 

Usually Noel goes in with the songs written and fully formed and the producers just record the album for him. They're more engineers .

Noel wanted to work with Holmes but he'd only agree to it if Noel was a bit more open to writing in the studio. Which is what happened apparently. 

I'm really looking forward to it. 

There might be as many as three instrumentals on the album and the opening and closing tracks are supposedly two of those. Last track is even going to be called End Credits. It might be a very film music album (Noel is a pretty big Morricone fan so film music isn't completely off his radar).

are the Ocean's scored worth checking out then?

Hmmm ... the above discussion makes me wonder if it increases Gallagher Senior's chances of recording a Bond theme? Seem to remember him expressing an interest in the past, asking why (after the 'run' of Madonna, Chris Cornell and Jack White and Alicia Keys) 'Why do they keep getting fucking Americans to do the songs for a British spy?'

Big fan of the Manics myself. Been too long since they last played live here (the 'Rewind The Film' tour). First time I saw them live was on the same Sunday that 'If You Tolerate This ... ' entered the UK charts at Number 1, so that was memorable :) .      

This lesser-known U2 track drifted into my memory this morn, written for Sinatra's 80th birthday - 

11 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Hmmm ... the above discussion makes me wonder if it increases Gallagher Senior's chances of recording a Bond theme? Seem to remember him expressing an interest in the past, asking why (after the 'run' of Madonna, Chris Cornell and Jack White and Alicia Keys) 'Why do they keep getting fucking Americans to do the songs for a British spy?'

I'm still waiting for Muse to do one.

I got to know Muse only after Black Holes and Revelations, which seems to be the first album that made people cry they had lost their touch (as has happened with each album since). Perhaps that gives me a different perspective than earlier fans, but I'm a big fan of all their albums since Absolution (I like the first two as well, but more for some individual highlights than as full albums).

They've had their share of Bond-ish songs over the years. It's time they got make an official one.

On 23/09/2017 at 0:03 PM, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Much better than the whiny piece of shite they used for Spectre 

Indeed ... well, 'The Writing's On The Wall' was exactly what you'd expect to get when you ask a sensitive twentysomething gay man to put himself into the mindset of a veteran womanising secret agent with a ruthless streak, IMHO. Sam Smith and Bond were NOT a good fit.    

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

You know what's nice?

I don't have to pick a favorite here, I love both versions of "Mr. Soul" and often listen to them beside each other.

Yeah, TRANS, my favourite Neil Young record! 

(no, I'm not joking, you cheeky monkey!)

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I prefer Mutations!  I bought and liked Odelay a lot, but Mutations was the first (and really only) Beck album I really fell for.

Stopped before the end, too violent for me.

Beyonce  Knowles is trash. Bitch has a cellulose fat ass and she warbles. Most overrated "talent". 

A soft and gentle introduction to the French chanteuse barbara, if you don't know her.

That's a brand new english adaptation of one of his best song, Dis quand reviendras-tu?

That's a superb new album, made around the piano of Alexandre Tharaud.

On 22/09/2017 at 11:54 AM, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Hopefully not. 

Id rather Noel stayed solo for awhile yet. 

25th anniversary of Definitely Maybe coming up in 2019 though...

For me, Noel has a terribly flat voice, it just doesn't stir me. Obviously he's been singing for years, and his Oasis tracks on which he provided the lead vocals have an iconic sound to them, but Liam's distinctive rasp still runs rings him as far as rock aesthetics go. Oasis wouldn't have been the success they became without the bum younger brother with no career prospects when he left school. 

On 22/09/2017 at 7:52 PM, Richard said:

I think that it would be a cold day in Hell when Liam Gallagher apologises for anything. 

He pretty much already has done apparently. I've seen him myself on TV recently expressing regret that his brother, whom he said he loved, won't speak to him and that he just wishes Oasis could go back to the way they were. His one caveat he said was that he'd want equal say about the band, but that Noel refuses. 

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

For me, Noel has a terribly flat voice, it just doesn't stir me. Obviously he's been singing for years, and his Oasis tracks on which he provided the lead vocals have an iconic sound to them, but Liam's distinctive rasp still runs rings him as far as rock aesthetics go. Oasis wouldn't have been the success they became without the bum younger brother with no career prospects when he left school. 

He pretty much already has done apparently. I've seen him myself on TV recently expressing regret that his brother, whom he said he loved, won't speak to him and that he just wishes Oasis could go back to the way they were. His one caveat he said was that he'd want equal say about the band, but that Noel refuses. 

The problem is Liam’s voice isn’t up for an Oasis’s reunion. He could do theatres and maybe the odd arena and he’d be fine. He couldn’t do a stadium tour though. He’s lost all power in his voice. 

Liam talks a lot of nonsense though. He talks about wanting this that and the other but he takes no responsibility. 

When theyre in the studio he only wants to be around to lay down his vocals. He leaves all the heavy lifting to Noel. He doesn’t want to be involved in equal share of the work and Noel doesn’t want to give him an equal say as a result (which seems fair and to be honest).

when they were recording the last oasis album he fucked off unanoucned in the middle of recording sessions in the US to go and get married. There were vocals still to be recorded. 

That was over 10 years after he left a US tour in the middle of it to go and buy a house. So I don’t think he’ll have changed much since then despite what he says.

Liam loves playing the hurt little brother in the media but he’s full of shit. 

Anyway, oasis were at their best in the mid 90s when Noel was writing the songs and Liam was singing them.

Then Liam’s voice went into decline and other people started writing oasis parody songs for the band.

Noel’s solo stuff has been much better than everything from Be Here Now onwards so I’m happy for that’s to continue.

Now, if you could get me Liam Gallagher from 1995, I’d snap your hand off for a reunion. 

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

Thanks for that, Lee.

So...are you a Noel/High Flying Birds fan, or a Liam/Beady Eye fan?

I've quite liked parts from both enterprises, some more than others. I've sort of outgrown the sound of the genre actually, but just recently I've took notice of Liam's last couple of singles. Especially the latest one which I linked to, which I think is a legitimately quality track. 

1 hour ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

The problem is Liam’s voice isn’t up for an Oasis’s reunion. He could do theatres and maybe the odd arena and he’d be fine. He couldn’t do a stadium tour though. He’s lost all power in his voice. 

Liam talks a lot of nonsense though. He talks about wanting this that and the other but he takes no responsibility. 

When theyre in the studio he only wants to be around to lay down his vocals. He leaves all the heavy lifting to Noel. He doesn’t want to be involved in equal share of the work and Noel doesn’t want to give him an equal say as a result (which seems fair and to be honest).

when they were recording the last oasis album he fucked off unanoucned in the middle of recording sessions in the US to go and get married. There were vocals still to be recorded. 

That was over 10 years after he left a US tour in the middle of it to go and buy a house. So I don’t think he’ll have changed much since then despite what he says.

Liam loves playing the hurt little brother in the media but he’s full of shit. 

Anyway, oasis were at their best in the mid 90s when Noel was writing the songs and Liam was singing them.

Then Liam’s voice went into decline and other people started writing oasis parody songs for the band.

Noel’s solo stuff has been much better than everything from Be Here Now onwards so I’m happy for that’s to continue.

Now, if you could get me Liam Gallagher from 1995, I’d snap your hand off for a reunion. 

Liam is a bit of a dick, he always has been. 

1 minute ago, Quintus said:

I've quite liked parts from both enterprises, some more than others. I've sort of outgrown the sound of the genre actually, but just recently I've took notice of Liam's last couple of singles. Especially the latest one which I linked to, which I think is a legitimately quality track. 

Liam is a bit of a dick, he always has been. 

Definitely! But once he had the vocals to back him up.

The irony of him using professional songwriters to help him and all...

Nice line-up for a beautiful sunny after noon!

-PAXP-deijE.gif-PAXP-deijE.gifTrans Europe Express (2009 Remastered Version) by Kraftwerk

- Trainspotting (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) by Various Artists

- Dirty Vegas by Dirty Vegas