• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Quintus

The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

3223 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

The Offspring has a nice handful of great hits.

I used to be a huge fan when I was around 12-14. Looking back now I recognize they were more of a singles band than an album band, although I still enjoy Crash, Ixnay and Ignition for the most part.

Probably one of the few pop punk bands I ever got into, though that's probably because they were closer to Social Distortion, Bad Religion, The Descendants etc. than the likes of Green Day, Blink 182, Fall Out Boy, Sum 41.

Bit of disco on a Sundays eve.

Pretty incredible that the lead singer for Offspring has a PhD in molecular biology.

I didn't know that.

Dolph Lundgren has a degree in engineering, chemical I believe. He's not a singer, but he must still break you. 

On 6/9/2017 at 1:15 PM, nightscape94 said:

Listening to Queensrÿche's "Operation Mindcrime" for the first time in like 20 years.

Whaaaaaaaaaat?  Why haven't you listened to it since 20 years ago?

Great album, ignore the sequel album though

Just one of those things.  I haven't kept up with them since "Hear in the Now Frontier", but I was aware they came out with a sequel.  Had no desire to seek it out, but now I'll make sure to stay aware from it.

Been listening to Icehouse a bit recently. Really like this one

Richard likes this

The vocalist comes from the Bryan Ferry/David Sylvian school of singing, but it's a good Summer song. Thanks for posting.

New Queens of the Stone Age song!  New album out on August 25th!

I watched a docu about Mick Ronson, who was the guitarist of David Bowie's The Spiders From Mars. It's quite amazing how a genius musician (he was practically the arranger/producer of Bowie in that period) like Ronson lived most of his life on the edge of poverty.

191368.jpg

Happy 75th birthday, to James Paul McCartney!

#You say it's your birthday... #

New Mogwai song is cool as shit.

BRAVE is a fine, if dense and a little esoteric record, and certainly a departure from tbe "pop-y" HOLIDAYS IN EDEN. The next one, AFRAID OF SUNLIGHT, is great.