The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have any thoughts on two records that are both celebrating their 30th. anniversary this year?

First up is "Tusk", by Fleetwood Mac. This has been called "stripped down", "minimalist", "back-to-basics", etc. This is my favourite Mac disc, and one that I play every year in November (I bought it in November). Like "The Beatles", this is an almost unfinished (certainly un-polished) record, but do not let that distract you, dear listener, as there is much to admire about this release, notably the record's centerpiece; Stevie Nicks' "Sara". It does have a rough-and-ready sound, but it really does stand up against "Rumours", Mirage", and "Tango In The Night".

The other record could never be described as "unfinished", and that is "The Wall", by Pink Floyd, and here I would be very interested to read Alexscreamers' thoughts on this. O.k., looked on now, it can be a bit whinny, but when you are a teenager in 1979, this pretty much sums how you feel. The idea of building a physical wall between you and the rest of the world, is an intriguing one, and seems to be prescient in its anticipation of people retreating into themselves via all sorts of solitary activivies, including, ironically, the use of the internet to produce and perpetuate sites like these. Are sites like these oppertunities for like-minded people to converse about topics that mean a lot to them, or are they a safe refuge for the emotionally disposessed, without the "benefit" (or otherwise) of physical contact? Answers on...

I absolutely loved The Wall from Pink Floyd ... when I was a teenager. But now instead of being a cool prog album, it almost sounds like a burlesque musical. Roger Waters has become such a drama queen! The older I get, the more I'm put off by the angry young teenager aspect of it. I also feel that the super processed sound of the album, which sounded nothing less than great at the time, is a little bit dated today. However, some songs I still like.

Alex

I absolutely loved The Wall from Pink Floyd ... when I was a teenager. But now instead of being a cool prog album, it almost sounds like a burlesque musical. Roger Waters has become such a drama queen! The older I get, the more I'm put off by the angry young teenager aspect of it. I also feel that the super processed sound of the album, which sounded nothing less than great at the time, is a little bit dated today. However, some songs I still like.

Alex

I hear what you are saying, Alex, but I will defend "The Wall", simply because it contains my favourite Pink Floyd track: "Run Like Hell". The film is a lot better in conveying Pink's descent into madness and isolation. Yes, waters IS a drama queen, but the incident which sparked the writing of "The Wall" is well documented (Waters was certainly no teenager at the time) and, perhaps it is Waters' way of appologising to his unfortunate fan, although I doubt it. I suppose that no public incident has prompted so much private/public introspection. I guess that the best thing that a dissenter could say about it is that it was a supreme example of rock music at the time. Of course, Waters could be contemplating 19 years of Thatcherite rule. Now that would be enough to drive anybody bonkers!

bonkers!

Now that's a very cool distorted bass synth riff! ;)

Whatever people might think about The Wall, it certainly better in every thinkable way than everything Pink Floyd did without Waters.

Alex

simply because it contains my favourite Pink Floyd track: "Run Like Hell".

Don't forget the wonderful Comfortably Numb, a regular highlight in Gilmour's concerts.

Whatever people might think about The Wall, it certainly better in every thinkable way then everything Pink Floyd did without Waters.

The Division Bell is very good, and I adore High Hopes.

Don't forget the wonderful Comfortably Numb, a regular highlight in Gilmour's concerts.

I'm surprised none of you mentioned the obvious "Another Brick In The Wall (Parts 1, 2 and 3)." Not to mention "The Happiest Days Of Our Lives," "Young Lust," and "Mother."

I'm surprised none of you mentioned the obvious "Another Brick In The Wall (Parts 1, 2 and 3)." Not to mention "The Happiest Days Of Our Lives," "Young Lust," and "Mother."

Truthfully, the way that ABITW Part2 coupled with The Happiest Days of Our Lives gets so much radio play...well, I usually turn the station when it comes on. It's overplayed. Part 1 is my favorite, and of course 3 is never played because it functions better with the other songs depicting Pink's descent into madness. Same with Young Lust; the radio used to play it attached to Empty Spaces, and now they don't. So this one's overplayed too. And I've never been a fan of the song "Mother." I just like listening to The Wall as an album. Probably have ever since I talked to someone about Pink Floyd, and she said "oh, I like that song about education." Yea, Pink Floyd, certified singles band. Haha. I prefer WYWH, Animals, or DSOTM. Meddle is also good.

As for the post-Waters stuff, Learning to Fly and On the Turning Away are both very good. Other than that, I'm not a big fan, regardless of Gilmour's skill at singing and the guitar.

I'll never get tired of "Another Brick In The Wall," it's too damn good. Same with the other songs because I rarely hear them on the radio. What do you mean you like listening to The Wall as an album? How else would you listen it? Are talking about starting from beginning and going till the end, and not listening to just certain songs? I do that for all Floyd albums, since they're all gapless and are pretty much required to be played in their entirety.

My Top 5 albums:

Animals

Wish You Were Here

Dark Side Of The Moon

The Wall

A Momentary Lapse Of Reason

ABITW is certainly good, but overplayed and IMO not among the best parts from The Wall. I like it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to draw attention to it as opposed to other songs - kinda like We Are the Champions and We Will Rock You.

Whatever people might think about The Wall, it certainly better in every thinkable way then everything Pink Floyd did without Waters.

Yikes! It's the worst music I've ever heard.

I certainly won't forget "Comfortably Numb", Marion-how could I? It's just that I prefer "Run Like Hell", that's all.

To comment on Alex's judgement on "The Division "Bell": this is possibly the best post-"The Wall" record by Pink Floyd, on a purely musical basis. It is a pity that the whole thing is like musical fog, sounding like the whole thing was recorded out of phase. IMO, however, "A Momentary Lapse Of Reason" blows "The Division Bell" to kingdom come! Tell me this, guys; if you had to insert "When The Tigers Broke Free" into "The Wall", where would you put it? I really do not think that it belongs anywhere on "The Final Cut". Actually, it could act as a sort of curtain raiser to the whole thing. Yeah, I'll try that... Oh, by the way (and that is NOT a plug for the box set!), My second Floyd fave is "Animals". Just astonishing!

Tell me this, guys; if you had to insert "When The Tigers Broke Free" into "The Wall", where would you put it? I really do not think that it belongs anywhere on "The Final Cut". Actually, it could act as a sort of curtain raiser to the whole thing.

It wasn't on the original LP. I checked the track out, and indeed, it isn't very good. It hurts the album.

My second Floyd fave is "Animals". Just astonishing!

Amazing solos by Gilmour on that one (abnormally amazing, actually) but sadly Animals also means the beginning of Roger Water's reign. The synth solo in the middle of Dogs needs to be mixed louder.

Alex

Tell me this, guys; if you had to insert "When The Tigers Broke Free" into "The Wall", where would you put it? I really do not think that it belongs anywhere on "The Final Cut". Actually, it could act as a sort of curtain raiser to the whole thing.

It wasn't on the original LP. I checked the track out, and indeed, it isn't very good. It hurts the album.

My second Floyd fave is "Animals". Just astonishing!

Amazing solos by Gilmour on that one (abnormally amazing, actually) but sadly Animals also means the beginning of Roger Water's reign. The synth solo in the middle of Dogs needs to be mixed louder.

Alex

I remember reading, in 1979, that "The Wall" was originally meant to be a 3-disc boxed set, which would mean that potentially 40 minutes was cut from it(!) Apart from "Tigers...", the extended "What Shall We Do?", and the first part of "Young Lust", oh, and the first 4 bars of "ABITW-ptII", I do not know of anything that was excised from the original record. Any comments, anyone?

Yes, Alex, "Animals" does have some extraordinary giutar work, especially, on "Dogs", and the coda of "Sheep".

Not for me, I think that would make a terrible Bond song. I'm not against a modern musical take on the franchise - I loved the QoS song, but that doesn't stop my yearning for a return to the sultry Barry-esque roots of 007. Buble's apparent latest comes pretty damn close to that, imo. It is obviously a massively unsubtle love letter to James Bond, which I suspect [naturally] led you to Hans Zimmer and his presumed heavy handedness, if he were to ever do it. Regardless of that, it seems you missed the point of the record entirely.

I was commenting on the bombast synth bits with awkward power anthem rhythms. Sounds like it would be fitting for a Bruckheimer/Bay Bond. I found the QoS song seriously lacking. The Cornell/Arnold collaboration is great though.

I'd still like Muse to do the next Bond song anyway.

I don't think it was synth though...

Poor disillusioned JW fanboys: so disoriented with modern sound they don't know their arse from their elbow. If it might not be orchestral, IT'S AGAINST YOU!!!

I'll be honest, I thought it was Crimson Tide at the beginning. It just sounds like a parody. And dude's voice is terrible. I'm afraid I couldn't make it past the minute and a half part.

I too would like to see Muse have a go. Or Adam and Joe.

I don't think it was synth though...

It sounds like cheap synth in any case.

Poor disillusioned JW fanboys: so disoriented with modern sound they don't know their arse from their elbow. If it might not be orchestral, IT'S AGAINST YOU!!!

Never said that. I like good synth. In the right context, synth orchestra can be ok as well. at times, real orchestras can sound like synth - I don't quite understand why Bellamy had real strings play the arpeggios in his three-party symphony when the result sound no more real or "live" than the string samples in other songs on the album.

But this, to me, sounds like Hans Zimmer bombast synth trying to overblow Barry.

"When The Tigers Broke Free" would fit between "Another Brick in the Wall (part 1)" and "Goodbye Blue Sky," which would now precede "Happiest Days of Our Lives/ Another Brick in the Wall (part 2)." That's the way the movie resequences it.

But the movie omits "Hey You," one of the strongest songs on the album, so maybe it's not to be completely trusted.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone heard

largely unknown Christmas song from George Michael? It actually got released last year, passing by pretty much unnoticed under the radar, so to speak. It has been reissued for Xmas 2009, presumably in the hope of it getting a bit more play on the air waves, which I think it thoroughly deserves.

Easily one of the best Christmas songs written in recent years. I think it will gain momentum and eventually become a mainstay of the season. Say what you want about the man himself, but he sure writes a bloody good Christmas record.

• 2 months later...

Quint, right on the money on both cases.

George Michael has always been my favorite vocalist and December Song is a great example of his great (and somewhat underrated) songwriting skills.

Alicia Keys is probably my favorite artist from the noughties and Empire State Of Mind part II is stunning (but so are most of her songs). Great choices Quint! You got taste! :)

Alicia Keys is probably my favorite artist from the noughties and Empire State Of Mind part II is stunning (but so are most of her songs). Great choices Quint! You got taste! ;)

;)

Alexcremers laughs?!

Feels good doesn't it. It's a brave new world out there, just take it one step at a time.

I only pray that the Butterfly Effect consequences aren't dire - there have already been enough earthquakes in the world this year.

Ever since hearing Randy Travis' The Hole in Deep Impact, he's been my favourite country singer. I recently bought his best of 2 CDs but unfortunately the album on which The Hole is seems to be out of print and I can't get it anywhere ... :)

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Anybody have some obscure bands they love that no one else has heard of? I'm really trying to expand my tastes, considering I have a very picky taste in music that is primarily centered on the 60s and 70s.

I recently rediscovered The Mooney Suzuki. They've got a great 70s sound to them that is hard to find these days. I think they died though, and apparently sold themselves out. But whatever, their album Alive & Amplified is fantastic.

The Cat Empire and Neon Horse are two other bands I've come to really love.

And I'm also getting into Tom Waits after being aware of his vast discography for years. Currently in love with Bone Machine, and will be getting Real Gone tomorrow.

My song tastes are currently all over the place. If I hear a song anywhere (TV, live, car radio, movie) and like it, I buy it. I don't care what it is or when it's from. I don't discriminate on decade like I do with scores ;)

I'm currently liking Dust in the Wind by Kansas (heard in a recent Family Guy episode), an acoustic version of Dynamite by Tyler Ward, some Jack Johnson, and bizarrely,

song by a Finnish group, which I heard underneath one of those funny youtube videos and found the tune firmly implanted in my head.

And all kinds of stuff was played during my trip last month, so I found myself revisiting the 90s - 2 Become 1 by the Spice Girls (and I don't care what anyone says - it's a good song), Wonderwall by Oasis.

I try to look for songs that emphasize a good melody (can't imagine where I get that desire from.... :P) and aren't just someone yelling into the mike to a beat. Acoustic guitar songs work great.

Anybody have some obscure bands they love that no one else has heard of? I'm really trying to expand my tastes, considering I have a very picky taste in music that is primarily centered on the 60s and 70s.

I recently rediscovered The Mooney Suzuki. They've got a great 70s sound to them that is hard to find these days. I think they died though, and apparently sold themselves out. But whatever, their album Alive & Amplified is fantastic.

And I'm also getting into Tom Waits after being aware of his vast discography for years. Currently in love with Bone Machine, and will be getting Real Gone tomorrow.

Dunno if you're into soft rock:

Glas Vegas

Cast

Elbow

Ben's Brother

All British therefore all better than the usual churned out garbage.

Dunno if you're into soft rock:

Glas Vegas

Cast

Elbow

Benjamin's Brother

All British therefore all better than the usual churned out garbage.

Hmm. Interseting. Here's another list of British bands:

Take That

Arctic Monkeys

Kaiser Chiefs

JLS

Blue

Anything that is "discovered" on either The X-Factor, or Britain's Got (so-called) Talent

Westlife

Boyzone

E-17

I'm sure that none of these are "the usual churned out garbage". :lol:

Every once in awhile I am instantly drawn to a band and this is one of those times. I'm loving the album and trying to introduce them to as many people as I can. They are playing the House of Blues next month in Boston. I won't be there but I have some friends that are going.

Every once in awhile I am instantly drawn to a band and this is one of those times.

I can hear a song for the first time and be instantly drawn in, and immediately love it like I've been listening to it for years. That's pretty much how I pick out contemporary/mainstream music.

For the Arctic Monkeys, all it took was "Brianstorm," and subsequently "Teddy Picker." Then I was hooked onto all their songs.

For Neon Horse, all it took was "Cuckoo!" They've got some cool B-52s sound infused in there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzVFwmIvBqM

Someone posted Tom Waits' "Murder In The Red Barn" over at FSM, and that's what drew me in to him.

For The Cat Empire, all it took was "Sly." The song below is "Two Shoes."